• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Dreadknight is so... Clunky

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Right now, Dreadknight is in a weird spot. The class is a mixture of magic damage, and tank ability. issue being, it doesn't have the right balance to real fulfill a true role. Want a tank? Why pick dreadknight, paladin is much better! Want some damage? Why pick a clunky low-medium damage class when I can play a bursty one? Dreadknight's hinderance as a class stems from an overall lack of identity. What is this class supposed to do? Do I build damage? Do I build tank? So, the question awaits; what can be done to fix this class?

In my opinion, Dreadknight is a tank class. In a perfect world, people would have to choose which is better in their team comp, a DK, or a pally. Right now, 10/10 times the paladin heavily outdoes the dreadknight. To me, a tank requires a few key stats to ensure they get the job done:

- Beefy. Good amount of armour and health
- Decent CC, helps with peeling and offensive ability without adding too much damage
- Ability to read and respond to fights (this one is more directed towards the player him/herself), this entails knowing when to do what, and how you can have the best impact on a fight

Paladin has all 3 of these. High hp, armour, and damage, decent cc with a stun and a pull/slow, and LAYFUCKINGHANDS. Paladin can do so much to change the course of a fight. So what does Dreadknight bring to the table? Well, they can soak damage pretty well,they have ok cc with terror, and they don't have much to change a fight, with the exception of a harm touch empathy combo (a fairly rare occasion to pull this off considering how many god damn healers there are nowadays).

So, some may ask, why are we buffing Dreadknight? Why not just nerf paladin?

The main issue I have with letting DK be the way it is, is that even with a nerf, Dreadknight comes NOWHERE near the utility a paladin can grant to a team. Nerfing numbers wont change the fact that Dreadknight is flat out in an awkward spot right now. So, here are some proposed changes I came up with:

Change 1: Change Soulleech
Soulleech does sound pretty cool, but to be frank it is really underwhelming. You do a medium amount of damage over a decently long span of time, then get healed for a bit. Not a very intriguing skill. My suggestion?
Soulleech: Over the span of 8 seconds, you gradually steal the lives of all targets within 10 blocks, stealing small amounts of mana and hp every second. Anyone hit by 4 or more ticks is granted slowness II, and the dread knight is given speed I for 3 seconds.
This inspires the player to get into the middle of the fight, using the ability to hopefully get a decent chunk of resources from the enemies to keep you alive.

Change 2: DreadAura
Passive: Every enemy within 11 blocks of you has a 5% chance to reduce the effectiveness of their next ability by 20%.
You are a fucking dreadknight. Your mere presence instills fear into your enemies. This ability is basically here for the main reason that as it stands dreadaura is pure absolute shit. This new passive is basically to reward you for sitting in the enemy team, and gives you a better presence in a teamfight. Literally.

Change 3: Remove Decay in Favour of Plague
Brings more of a teamfight ability to Dreadknight without hindering their 1v1. Because they need to put more stats into defensive attributes, they won't have enough int to get super high plague damage, but it will be enough to make a difference. This could also have a higher cooldown to prevent it from being spammed too often, and also helping save mana.

Change 4: Darkscythe?
What was the point of implementing this skill? It didn't really add anything to the class but a shit ton of autoattack damage, which doesn't really address any problems. I think this is the perfect opportunity to address the class' horrible mana issues.
Darkscythe: For the next 10 seconds, every autoattack you successfully land restores 8 mana. After the 10 seconds, you get half the mana you restored in HP. This has a 35 second cooldown.

Change 5: Harmtouch
A core skill for dreadknight, which makes me kind of sad. I want this to be worth the 15 minute cooldown. This should be a high risk high reward skill.
Harmtouch: You tap into your undead self; for the next 15 seconds, you take 35% more damage, but deal 50% more autoattack damage. You cannot use any abilities. After the 15 seconds, you corrode, infecting any nearby enemies with blindness for 5 seconds and x damage over the next 6 seconds, restoring all the damage done in health if the target dies during the infection.
This one is just an idea, but it adds a riskier potential to the class, because this can either go really well for you, or go to complete shit.

Change 6: Feast
When an enemy within 50 blocks of you dies, you gain 10% hp and mana, and speed I for 10 seconds. If the effect overlaps, it will add on 3% and 3 seconds to the limit.
Basically this is to add an aggresive style to being a tank, and rewarding you and your team for being awesome.

So yeah, some of my thoughts about Dreadknight. Please tell me if I am talking out of my ass, as I haven't had that much PvP in a while.

Thanks for reading
-pew

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
Silly Pew we all Know adding another auto attack damage skill on a tank IS A GOOD IDEA gawd :p

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
Psss psss Pew I vote make dread aura cost less mana, take out mana freeze and become death and re add shadow step and harrow then take out dreadsteed and add a skill like old conviction for dread knight the maybe a passive mana drain on hit and have the replace dark scythe?

I vote necro loose harm shield and dj get the name and conviction

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Dk is in a good spot right now, it dosnt need a buff it needs a change (It got a few buffs)

Cocaine?
You do understand that the ideas in the post aren't buffs, they are changes right? I made this thread at the end of September when DK wasn't in a great spot, and right now while the class is in a decent spot, I still feel that the changes could help the class from an identity standpoint. Sure, maybe the numbers are high, but at the end of the day it's still a very awkward class when you look at it.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
You do understand that the ideas in the post aren't buffs, they are changes right? I made this thread at the end of September when DK wasn't in a great spot, and right now while the class is in a decent spot, I still feel that the changes could help the class from an identity standpoint. Sure, maybe the numbers are high, but at the end of the day it's still a very awkward class when you look at it.
Fair Enough