• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Don't restrict Splash Potions to Alchs

Petator

Glowing Redstone
I heard on the server that Splash Potions are getting restricted to Alchemists. IMO, this would throw the balance of potions off even more.

Splash potions are a very good combat ability. Making this restriction would give Alchemists, a non-combat profession, a combat ability. This combat ability surpasses the offensive (and supportive) capabilities of several combat classes.

I believe that after this change, we will see an overwhelming number of alchemists because it's essentially free combat potential, and the number of farmers, merchants, enchanters, etc will drop sharply.

TicklesTheMighty

ICE ICE ICE!
I agree that this is a very serious combat ability that Alchemists alone will have if Splash Potions become Alchemist only.

On the offensive: Poison, Harming, and Slow potions only have one viable form, and that is in the form of a Splash potion. A non-splash negative effect potion will only affect the wielder of the potion, and is detrimental to the person holding/drinking the potion in question. By limiting Splash to Alchemist alone, you effectively prevent other classes from using negative effect potions at all.

On support: The sole ability to use a Splash Healing II potion, or a Splash Haste II potion on the Alchemist's party would be a powerful support ability that could potentially affect group PvP in a big way.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Was it not explicitly stated, multiple times, that Kainzo wanted to avoid giving any Profession combat skills?
This, at first glance, seems like either misinformation or inconsistency on Kain's part.

TicklesTheMighty

ICE ICE ICE!
Was it not explicitly stated, multiple times, that Kainzo wanted to avoid giving any Profession combat skills?
This, at first glance, seems like either misinformation or inconsistency on Kain's part.

I'd have to agree, I was there when Kainzo said this, and I can only hope that what he suggested is not what he actually intended to say.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
I agree with this like I was saying on the patch notes thread. Restrictingsplash potions to alchemists would give us an unfair PvP advantage, as well as limiting our marketable goods.

@Kainzo

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
From the Lore side of things:
Alchemist are the masters of alchemy, potion brewing and transmutation.
Thus, they have the upper hand in potion use due gaining experience in creating / wielding them. Alchemist are able to more effectively use the potions because of this. If you wish to master the art of combat potions, alchemist surely have the upper hand.

Technical Side:
1) Enable splash and normal potions to everyone.
2) Only alchemist can create potions.
3) Give alchemist a lesser cooldown for splash / normal potions by like a minute

We have much more control over what we can do in terms of potions, I'm more than fine giving everyone splash (maybe at a certain level or specs+ ?)

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
IMO, self-use potions for unspec'd players, splash for the ones who have.

Giving Alchemist a shorter cooldown sounds alright. Could that perhaps scale with their levels?

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
Giving us a separate shorter cooldown seems nice. So long at it isn't too unfair causing others to complain. Maybe 3min for un-Alch and 1:30 for alch?

I like the idea of all potions able to be used by all. :)

Carlover1234

Obsidian
Do we have to have healing splash potions or healing potions in general? Because then Healers are useless or a lot less useful/needed. I think some potions should not be included in herocraft in general.

Petator

Glowing Redstone
Giving us a separate shorter cooldown seems nice. So long at it isn't too unfair causing others to complain. Maybe 3min for un-Alch and 1:30 for alch?

I think that's still a combat advantage. In long fights, especially for Pally's/DK's, being able to use potions twice as much as anyone else makes Alch superior. Alchs were already better than other people at using potions: they can make their own, and that's about as much of an advantage I'd like a non-combat class to have.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
I think that's still a combat advantage. In long fights, especially for Pally's/DK's, being able to use potions twice as much as anyone else makes Alch superior. Alchs were already better than other people at using potions: they can make their own, and that's about as much of an advantage I'd like a non-combat class to have.

Perhaps a shorter cooldown for all of us then?