• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Don't be confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albattal

Dirt
This conversation won't go anywhere without more.. neutral comments. We'll have fanboys on one side saying the server is perfect and that the OP is a flamer who doesn't like the hardcore aspect of the game. We'll have haters on the other side that claim the server sucks.

Everyone intending to post, lay out your opinion clearly. Childish statements make you look childish, no matter your intent. The OP was trying to offer some feedback while maybe not the best way to go about it.. Zidane is 100% correct though.
This wasn't intented to tell all of these people who have been replying actually. If you went in depth with my post, I was explaining to the new people what is going to happen when they are going to join, and if you are looking for a full on RPG server, you better walk away.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
This conversation won't go anywhere without more.. neutral comments. We'll have fanboys on one side saying the server is perfect and that the OP is a flamer who doesn't like the hardcore aspect of the game. We'll have haters on the other side that claim the server sucks.

Everyone intending to post, lay out your opinion clearly. Childish statements make you look childish, no matter your intent. The OP was trying to offer some feedback while maybe not the best way to go about it.. Zidane is 100% correct though.

Nobody is saying the server sucks. As for ''neutral'' comments, I can't see anyone who has been raging away on either ''side'' of the arguement. With regards to making this constructive, i've actually offered my own suggestions.

Zidane

Gold
Nope, sorry. It isn't an RPG server. If you take one tiny aspect of a game type and put it into a server, it doesn't automatically become that type of game. The amount of survival, and other aspects on the server overcome the fact that it is an RPG.

I'm afraid to inform you that your assessment is quite incorrect solely on the bounds that you saw "RPG" then ran off and compared it to AAA titles on console platforms or other games in the genre in the land of MMOs.

Making such assumptions is wrong: RPGs are not defined as games consisting of quests, grand stories, cinematics, etc. RPG means one role plays as a virtual persona for what ever reason. This is exactly what happens on Herocraft or any other Minecraft server; you role play as a persona who breaks blocks, gains experience, crafts weapons, and defeats a boss. In SMP, you work with others or compete in battles.

If you cannot understand this concept then I must acknowledge your assessment as having no merit; if you cannot acknowledge and define the genre itself correctly, how can your criticism be accepted? Its just trolling/flamebaiting at that point,

Albattal

Dirt
I'm afraid to inform you that your assessment is quite incorrect solely on the bounds that you saw "RPG" then ran off and compared it to AAA titles on console platforms or other games in the genre in the land of MMOs.

Making such assumptions is wrong: RPGs are not defined as games consisting of quests, grand stories, cinematics, etc. RPG means one role plays as a virtual persona for what ever reason. This is exactly what happens on Herocraft or any other Minecraft server; you role play as a persona who breaks blocks, gains experience, crafts weapons, and defeats a boss. In SMP, you work with others or compete in battles.

If you cannot understand this concept then I must acknowledge your assessment as having no merit; if you cannot acknowledge and define the genre itself correctly, how can your criticism be accepted? Its just trolling/flamebaiting at that point,
"This wasn't intented to tell all of these people who have been replying actually. If you went in depth with my post, I was explaining to the new people what is going to happen when they are going to join, and if you are looking for a full on RPG server, you better walk away."

I replied this to Grinch. Well, I hate to say this but I am guilty of it to, that most new players expect all of what you said, quests, dungeons, npc's, etc. So as I stated multiple times, the fact that is an 'RPG' should not be so vaguely described.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
RPG is tag that fits the server. We are continually improving aspects of the "RPG" - while you may not agree that it fits. You grossly misunderstand what we're going for.

Minecraft in it's own is somewhat RPG with the constant updates; Villager / Enchantments / Levels. We've had to chop and redo certain features because they were either lagging us or just not fitting.

If you dont like it though, I urge you to find a better server - or you can contribute helpful and unbiased ways to improve it.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
RPG is tag that fits the server. We are continually improving aspects of the "RPG" - while you may not agree that it fits. You grossly misunderstand what we're going for.

Minecraft in it's own is somewhat RPG with the constant updates; Villager / Enchantments / Levels. We've had to chop and redo certain features because they were either lagging us or just not fitting.

If you dont like it though, I urge you to find a better server - or you can contribute helpful and unbiased ways to improve it.

If some of the following were added, then HC would become a lot more like an RPG. HC is limited a lot by Minecraft, but that doesn't mean it can't function better:

- Add dungeons. These don't have to be complex.
- Add quests. We've done this before. When NPCs come back, add more.
- Add NPCs around the world in protected, but small, areas. Small things can make a big difference. It'll improve the feel of this being an RPG server.
- Give towns a reason to expand their region size/reach kingdom. Often RPGs don't tell you do get X, Y and Z when there is no reward/benefit for doing so. Give towns, which upgrade, facilities which will further benefit them (such as MOB spawners to help them train their combat specs, ect ect..).

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
You ''ROLE PLAY'' much more in Runescape than you do in HC. Players interact with characters through quests, make contributions to the lore, participate in a market (The GE), ect ect. Infact, i've seen people literally ''role playing'' (Like, acting as a follower of a certain diety) on the Runescape forums.

make contributions to the lore
what about this? \/
http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/lore/
participate in a market
and this? \/
http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/trade.6/
i've seen people literally ''role playing'' (Like, acting as a follower of a certain diety) on the Runescape forums.
and even this.. \/ (Though I'll admit it's a little under used.)
http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/RP/

Do we have any of that in HC? Unfortunately no...
I think you want to revise your statement.

Albattal

Dirt

Well, what I am saying is that if you are new and you want to join a good RPG server, and RPG server that you expect was like other RPG's you have played, but with even more aspects, don't join this one, even though some stuff lag you, that is unfortunate. If it doesn't work for this server, then join another server that consists of it. Also, like majora replied to you, all those stuff could be added in, because those make up the fun RPG that most people are looking for. Trust me, don't think I am a stupid 9 year old, I have lots of experience with RPG games, and what people enjoy in an RPG game.

Albattal

Dirt
what about this? \/
http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/lore/

and this? \/
http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/trade.6/

and even this.. \/ (Though I'll admit it's a little under used.)
http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/RP/

Those are simply a couple of aspects that I did state were included in the server. When I say it isn't a good RPG I don't mean it has NO aspects, it does. But it requires lots more for it to become a well-developed RPG.

MajorasMask

Ungodly

''http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/RP/'' and ''http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/lore/''..

..are both very rarely used. If used at all. Yes the ''Lore'' bit is used, but more as a space to write your own fiction than to actually join in with the real HC lore. Even if there is HC lore within that, it is of very little importance to the server gameplay. My point, with reference to RS, is that the lore plays a much greater role in the game. Quests come as a part of this.

The only ''Roleplay'' (through communication) aspect of the game I can think of is standing outside of a town shouting ''LO undefeated'' or ''GG TC''.

As for trade, that isn't much to be proud of. Trading doesn't mean much. People sit there with over 20,000c in their banks and have nothing to do with it. Not only is there nothing to buy, but there is no reason to buy anything. Sure they could pay for town upgrades, but there will still be money left over. The trade district, last time I checked, had very few shops. RS, on the other hand, pretty much always has things available for you to buy, through the GE.

On the topic of the trade district, why not make it so that ''Collect-a-thon'' quests were placed down there? It would encourage people to build shops selling the items you need, and that may influence people to make shops selling other items.

Albattal

Dirt
''http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/RP/'' and ''http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/forums/lore/''..

..are both very rarely used. If used at all. Yes the ''Lore'' bit is used, but more as a space to write your own fiction than to actually join in with the real HC lore. Even if there is HC lore within that, it is of very little importance to the server gameplay. My point, with reference to RS, is that the lore plays a much greater role in the game. Quests come as a part of this.

The only ''Roleplay'' (through communication) aspect of the game I can think of is standing outside of a town shouting ''LO undefeated'' or ''GG TC''.

As for trade, that isn't much to be proud of. Trading doesn't mean much. People sit there with over 20,000c in their banks and have nothing to do with it. Not only is there nothing to buy, but there is no reason to buy anything. Sure they could pay for town upgrades, but there will still be money left over. The trade district, last time I checked, had very few shops. RS, on the other hand, pretty much always has things available for you to buy, through the GE.

On the topic of the trade district, why not make it so that ''Collect-a-thon'' quests were placed down there? It would encourage people to build shops selling the items you need, and that may influence people to make shops selling other items.
If anyone is to reply to this post, I am not really sure about this so I can't really answer if it is not used alot, but if it isn't, that simply supports my statement even more.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
If anyone is to reply to this post, I am not really sure about this so I can't really answer if it is not used alot, but if it isn't, that simply supports my statement even more.
You're only complaining - not providing actual fixes or features to implement.

Let me know once you have a good unbiased, intuitive post and ill read it.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Well, what I am saying is that if you are new and you want to join a good RPG server, and RPG server that you expect was like other RPG's you have played, but with even more aspects, don't join this one, even though some stuff lag you, that is unfortunate. If it doesn't work for this server, then join another server that consists of it. Also, like majora replied to you, all those stuff could be added in, because those make up the fun RPG that most people are looking for. Trust me, don't think I am a stupid 9 year old, I have lots of experience with RPG games, and what people enjoy in an RPG game.
If you seriously are looking for a Minecraft server that is exactly like the MMORPGs you possibly have played, you should just stay in the games instead of complaining that a Minecraft server isnt what you are looking for.

Albattal

Dirt

I knew someone would say something about that specific post, read all my other replies, and even read my official thread post, there is a lot of information that is cold hard facts.

Albattal

Dirt
If you seriously are looking for a Minecraft server that is exactly like the MMORPGs you possibly have played, you should just stay in the games instead of complaining that a Minecraft server isnt what you are looking for.
I am not looking for exact. As stated earlier, I said myself that there is only a couple RPG aspect, which is classes and levels

MajorasMask

Ungodly

Kainzo i've suggested some fixes/features to be implemented. May you respond to them? I'm not aware that i've been ''biased''. If I have, please say how.

TheSojourner

Legacy Supporter 8
What an RPG "is" is relative. To some people, it's having different classes that level up with skills. To others, it's immersion in story telling. To some, it's going on quests for loot. And to others, it's simply taking on the role of a character.

So, while your opinion is perfectly valid, saying "People looking for an RPG server should walk away" is silly. Your opinion is not objective fact and quite frankly I am skeptical about your self proclaimed "Experience with RPGs and what people enjoy in them".

Albattal

Dirt
What an RPG "is" is relative. To some people, it's having different classes that level up with skills. To others, it's immersion in story telling. To some, it's going on quests for loot. And to others, it's simply taking on the role of a character.

So, while your opinion is perfectly valid, saying "People looking for an RPG server should walk away" is silly. Your opinion is not objective fact and quite frankly I am skeptical about your self proclaimed "Experience with RPGs and what people enjoy in them".
All of those are true, but, sometimes just that is not enough, and it needs to consist of more RPG aspects to make it an actual fun RPG server. This is one of the reasons for why I was 'silly' and I stated "People looking for an RPG server should walk away". Also if you don't believe I have experience, I don't care, but I still seem to be proving lots of information that has been thrown at me wrong.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Albattal - How much experience do you even have with Herocraft? Have you even joined a town? Done anything other than roam the wilderness and maybe make a hidden base somewhere? Have you experienced the community that is way better than many other RPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.