• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Don't allow Griefing

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Griefing shouldn't be allowed. People will no longer bother to build truly impressive structures on this server.

This decision, one that changes a server fundamental (for the past Half of a Decade!) has been pushed past the community without discussion.

LightTheAbsol

Legacy Supporter 3
Ur dumb, and don't pay attention to what is going on, by the looks of it.

Lemee type this real big.

Kainzo is working on getting TNT regen going. When he gets it to work, that will be the only way of breaking into other towns, and it will repair itself. People will still be able to build things. Calm down.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8

Kainzo is working on getting TNT regen going. When he gets it to work, that will be the only way of breaking into other towns, and it will repair itself. People will still be able to build things. Calm down.
Screenshot+2016-01-06+06.08.49.png

spiralz

Obsidian

This doesn't keep me from building 50 cobble pillars to max height right outside someone's town or destroying their surrounding landscape. Sure, their claimed structures might be safe and look good, but the surrounding area is part of the aesthetic and, if that is ruined, will make it all look like shit regardless.

JacobBurkey

Portal
This doesn't keep me from building 50 cobble pillars to max height right outside someone's town or destroying their surrounding landscape. Sure, their claimed structures might be safe and look good, but the surrounding area is part of the aesthetic and, if that is ruined, will make it all look like shit regardless.
You do realise it's a rule that you can't build within x amount of distance from someones town? Don't say stupid stuff.

Still, allowing greifing is a stupid ass thing to do.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
You do realise it's a rule that you can't build within x amount of distance from someones town? Don't say stupid stuff.

And when that gray area of a rule is abused to high hell, we'll hear the cries and screams of builder everywhere.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Alright yes. Grief everywhere really might just suck. But if you think about it.... is it any different now? You walk 100 blocks and you are guranteed to see grief. We just gotta understand how many petitions staff gets for just grief. They would spend hours on end just fixing grief and mass banning these players would kill the playerbase we have.

There is ONE problem. Players are now forced to join towns. If they aren't in a town they WILL get griefed and I think that is the wrong move to take. Right now the coin economy is so fucked that professions don't even make money by doing their jobs. Most money on the server comes from buying crate keys and flipping it for coins, or getting lucky and finding rare loot. Many players, like myself, don't like to join town tycoons and feed them coins because its inequality at its finest. However, now players will HAVE to join or create a town just to keep themselves sane from getting griefed and I think that was the wrong path to take.

Staff members should definitely have the ability to worry about things other than grief, I can only imagine how much time they spend rolling back griefed stuff. At the same time however, this new rule will only push players farther away, and GREATLY split the economic classes in the game. Once this action goes into effect, players have NO choice and absolutely have to join a town, kinda ruins freedoms there. With this, town owners will get insanely rich, while new players will struggle to get coins with the daily upkeep for town, which would inevitably drive them to quit.

There is a way where everything can work out. Players should and must have the freedom of joining a town or not. While yes, they literally have a choice to join a town or not, but when it comes down to it, no one is gonna decide to get griefed over not getting griefed. So, to retain player freedom, protections need to be reduced in price, to a point where new players can settle down without the fear of getting griefed to death on the first day.

In the war post, @Kainzo stressed that players should have the freedoms of creating the world they want, and by allowing grief the players have a chocie to have a clean world or not a clean world. However, while I thought this was a good idea at first, I came to the conclusion that players who grief... aren't players. You'll notice that players who grief will quit the server soon after grief has been done.

Things are very curcumstansial right now, and the outcome of the new grief rules can go very bad, but it can also go very good. I do think these new war changes and stuff is starting to push the server into a hardcore pvp place, rather than a place of freedom of choice. I also believe that the server is beginning to heavily cater to those with lotsa $$ with the whole -pay to bail out of war- option.

Things are subject to change though, so anything we whine about now could just be a thing of the past :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
it is impossible to police grief.
We won't catch everything. Here's why this is bad for a good player.

Good players will follow rules and not grief.
Bad players will not follow the rules and grief.
Good players can't clean up griefed areas (because thats illegal!) and wont have the resources to replace the grief (why should they even bother)
Good players have to wait a WEEK to claim an abandoned structure.
Bad players will continue to grief at an alarming rate, no matter how many staff we have online.

DONT WANT A TOWN? BUY A PLOT WITHIN A NATION/TOWN or an EMBASSY PLOT.

If we programmatically combat grief, so that you have to be tied to the server economy, WHICH IS VERY REASONABLY PRICED.
We all win. You can still build amazing structures. Join a nation as a single town owner to get +50 plots more to expand, just spend 75c per chunk, your PER DAY UPKEEP will not change if its just you. If you quit, your area will be unclaimed and the players of the server will tear it down or claim it with their protections.

Regarding earning coins. There's multiple ways to do this without using a profession tactic.
1K + coins earned in around an hour from a mining trip with an efficient miner.
Several hundred coins earned battling mobs in the dungeons + experience. More if you sell the gear drops.
Vote for 50c (+bonuses!)
Several hundred coins from arena if you are a skilled pvper.
Buy/Sell on Global Market.

YOU ARE NOT RESTRICTED ON BUILDING AMAZING THINGS - THIS MEANS YOU WILL BE TIED INTO THE SERVER ECONOMY. SPEND YOUR COINS ON PROTECTION AND MORE CHUNKS TO YOUR PROTECTION. IF YOU CANT AFFORD THE AREA, GET A FRIEND TO HELP YOU BUILD/AFFORD IT.

Staff still hold the ability to mass regenerate areas (especially around spawn) to Day #1 of map.

Last edited:

spiralz

Obsidian

That's the point. That won't be a rule anymore.

Well, I suppose now I can finally get rid of all the trash structures bothering me around the map. Would be a tad easier with fire, but I do not trust MC players with fire. I've had bad enough experiences with players getting buckets of lava.

I probably will not grief towns much on Saturday, just cause it seems like a bit of a dick move without regen. Once TNT regen is set up though... Fun will be had.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I believe I understand the current rules, and the incoming changes. I understand the valid point that Griefing petitions take valuable time.

I still want people to be able to build structures, without the constraints of a region, that look cool. Not everything should be subject to the system of regions.

If the Boat from Boat Swamp on Haven, or the Dragon statues from DG, or HELL EVEN THE NORTH ROAD FROM ZEAL were allowed to be griefed, this server wouldn't be what it is. Every leveling Swamp would have been pockmarked with lava and pitfalls. Every public farm would be even more of a joke than they already were.

Please, do not allow griefing in the wilderness. Griefing of regioned towns will increase pvp, but allowing griefing outside of regioned builds does not increase pvp, loot, or have any benefit to the server.

If this rule change goes through, the first thing I am doing is constructing Geysers, a pastime for which I was banned in June, 2011, less than a month after being whitelisted. I invite every troll and 12 year old to join me.

Attachments

• Griefing rules.PNG
    Griefing rules.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

xBladeDalsmin

Legacy Supporter 8
If this rule change goes through, the first thing I am doing is constructing Geysers, a pastime for which I was banned in June, 2011, less than a month after being whitelisted. I invite every troll and 12 year old to join me.

Instead of making life even worse for the rest of the players, why not simply leave. There are silent members of the community that agree with your above statements but I find this absolutely sickening that I - among this, the community - would have to put up with your rage in the world just because the staff want to try something new.

Furthermore, to reiterate this for you, the server has been around for five years. Do you want to spend that much time clearing trashy builds everywhere? I certainly do not. And that's why I'm bearing with the staff in trying something new.

Besides, if you wanted to raise a flag in protest, why not do something more productive then that. For instance, band together with allys, teach them /pr i, and "report (converse with ppl)" a list of players that have decimated landscapes so that when Saturday rolls around, blow their town to bedrock and leave signs everywhere about how you feel about it. It would generate the same community effort to preserve landscapes as the ban hammer will, with less effort and time wasted from staff while still having "fun" with the war.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
*waves to BaldeSalmon*
Hi mate! Want to go grind Ivory again like we did last night? I sure did enjoy trolling you. Thats the kind of activity that I will enjoy even more when I can grief too! I always follow the rules ;)