• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Discussion] Where has Melee damage gone?

Y

ytiggidmas

This is less of a suggestion, and more of a thread for people to discuss the current state of melee damage, and suggest their ideas regarding it.

Let's say you were given Delf's position of Developer. You can edit the classes, and their damage values(Given it is approved by Kainzo) Then have it pushed to the live server.

So here's the golden question for you guys:
What classes Except For Healers, and Casters would you change?
(Please Include: Pyromancer, and Disciple - they are melee)

Note:
I created this thread due to Rogues and Warriors having similar damage(40-70), I feel that fights aren't effected as much when it comes to melee damage because of this, and people get away with not actually using their weapon as a important source of damage output. Teamfights also seem to be dominated by Healers, and Casters with the new balance changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I agree that casters, especially wizards and pyromancers, feel like they have much higher damage output than other classes at the moment with the armor / physical damage reduction changes. However, when you say healers are dominating i assume you must mean disciples - i literally think there is one cleric over level 30 on the server right now, and only a handful of druids over 30.

Regarding what i would change? i dont know. I would prefer if physical damage classes continued to have damage reduced by armor, but had stronger disables, snares, interrupts and gap closers compared to magic damage classes (including pyro, dreadknight, etc as magic damage classes) to have a somewhat different role in group fights. The more diversity in classes and roles the better imo.

One thing i would change right away to meet this goal would be giving every physical based class kick instead of bash. Some of the hardest hitting spell damage abilities in terms of cooldown to damage dealt are chaos orb, bone spear and fireball. There have to be aimed which makes them harder to use, unless your enemy is melee based and standing right in your face. They have no cast time and cannot be bashed. By having kick, physical classes could at least silence and limit to some degree the number of these instant cast spells to the face they have to take. Two physical classes coordinating on the same target could more or less lock them down from casting many spells at all.

Last edited:

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Perhaps the first thing would be to run numbers on Armor versus Constitution, and after realigning them to make sure they are competitive forms of defense (It is my impression that magic resist currently lags behind armor in terms of overall mitigation which is why Constitution also gives HP), we may have to accept that (except for the tanky classes) we will need to choose to be mostly physical or mostly magical in defense as well as offense.

For some reason a lot of >(dumb)< people keep saying that melee damage is OP atm. A set of prot 3 leather which every class can easily get the points to wear negates 28% of melee damage and then 12 more. A warrior class with 60 damage gets that turned into 31.2 damage. A wizard with 10 endurance halves 60 damage. Fuck it, I'll say it again, a wizard with 10 endurance HALVES 60 DAMAGE.

Suggestion : Nerf base armor weights to the point where they have to actually invest points into it to be able to wear armor. A dragoon with 70 damage shouldn't be able to wear armor that has 50% DR and then some from protection enchants. So, using Dragoon as an example I think they should have around 35 base armor weight and have each endurance point give them one more. So they can start with say an iron chestplate at level 1 and if they put 20 points in, wear iron legs. 20 points into a stat isn't true investment but it does increase DR by a lot but not too much. Similarly for wizard they could start with 5 armor weight and if they REALLY want to halve melee damage they can put 30 points into endurance this way there can still be people who are VERY melee defensive but they actually have to want it and not get it as a side effect. Numbers were came up with on the spot and can be changed.

Last edited:

koen31

TNT
Or you could just get rid of protection enchant all together....

Though, then it reduces the value of being an enchanter.

Thoughts:

1) Classes should have base magic resist values, much like they have base armor weight values. This would allow for class by class balancing of magic damage vs armor damage. As it stands, though I am new, it seems like magic damage does a lot more solely because it is not mitigated by resistance at a substantial amount (I doubt anyone has more than 10% from constitution-- that would be a 50 point investment!). I would only give these values to melee units who have to "get up front" so to speak.

2) Drop magic costs of melee attacks and focus on stamina costs. I'm still learning, so this might be a stupid suggestion, but this would allow for better attribute distributions for melee classes while magic classes would need to focus on everything.

3) Consider adding a %stun to the strength attribute where with each melee attack there is a percent chance to stun for .5-1 second. This would interrupt casting substantially and make melee range risky for a caster while also not necessarily (I think) giving backstabby agility based classes that can sneak up easier the same bonus.

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
For some reason a lot of >(dumb)< people keep saying that melee damage is OP atm. A set of prot 3 leather which every class can easily get the points to wear negates 28% of melee damage and then 12 more. A warrior class with 60 damage gets that turned into 31.2 damage. A wizard with 10 endurance halves 60 damage. Fuck it, I'll say it again, a wizard with 10 endurance HALVES 60 DAMAGE.

Suggestion : Nerf base armor weights to the point where they have to actually invest points into it to be able to wear armor. A dragoon with 70 damage shouldn't be able to wear armor that has 50% DR and then some from protection enchants. So, using Dragoon as an example I think they should have around 35 base armor weight and have each endurance point give them one more. So they can start with say an iron chestplate at level 1 and if they put 20 points in, wear iron legs. 20 points into a stat isn't true investment but it does increase DR by a lot but not too much. Similarly for wizard they could start with 5 armor weight and if they REALLY want to halve melee damage they can put 30 points into endurance this way there can still be people who are VERY melee defensive but they actually have to want it and not get it as a side effect. Numbers were came up with on the spot and can be changed.
It sure in hell does not halve it by 60 I think you are the "dumb" one here.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Pyro is a class with a higher melee damage than other casters because it was intended to be a melee-mage, however with attributes it can spend points in END, CON, INT and STR to pretty much make it a Tank, DPS and Magic class that counters both melee classes and other mages.

I think Warrior classes in general are not as strong as they used to be, this could be a good thing as they were very strong past maps but now they seem maybe too weak considering that most classes spend enough points in END to wear high tier armor.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Thoughts:

1) Classes should have base magic resist values, much like they have base armor weight values. This would allow for class by class balancing of magic damage vs armor damage. As it stands, though I am new, it seems like magic damage does a lot more solely because it is not mitigated by resistance at a substantial amount (I doubt anyone has more than 10% from constitution-- that would be a 50 point investment!). I would only give these values to melee units who have to "get up front" so to speak.
I could see this working. Each class having different base movement speeds (besides just agility) would also be a welcome addition in my book.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
This is less of a suggestion, and more of a thread for people to discuss the current state of melee damage, and suggest their ideas regarding it.

Let's say you were given Delf's position of Developer. You can edit the classes, and their damage values(Given it is approved by Kainzo) Then have it pushed to the live server.

So here's the golden question for you guys:
What classes Except For Healers, and Casters would you change?
(Please Include: Pyromancer, and Disciple - they are melee)

Note:
I created this thread due to Rogues and Warriors having similar damage(40-70), I feel that fights aren't effected as much when it comes to melee damage because of this, and people get away with not actually using their weapon as a important source of damage output. Teamfights also seem to be dominated by Healers, and Casters with the new balance changes.

I think something you're not taking into account is that caster classes also had their damage nerfed severely, and have to invest a ton of points in order to get their damage back to near the levels we saw last map.

People are looking at base damage and not adding in the extra 10-15 damage you would get from putting points in strength, nor the fact that a lot of the melee classes have damage steroids (e.g. berzerker (rage, provoke, frenzy), backstab, runes, soulfire, warsong, etc.) that increase the amount damage that right clicks do.

Wizard has to get up to 35-40 points of int just to do similar damage to what they were doing last map (that's about half of your total attribute points). The increased mana pool is really marginal at that point.

Endurance means that most caster classes are wearing around the equivalent of full leather (often in iron), but have significantly less max armor (gold was an expensive investment that got you up to 5.5 armor bars). You also have to dump a lot of points into an otherwise useless stat (whoo +stamina /s) for a marginal increase in surviviability where most of the time increased constitution is your better bet.

Constitution means that most classes have more health than they used to. That actually helps melee damage more than magic damage, ignoring the fact that it gives magic resist. Magic users have a set amount of damage they can do, limited by their mana pool. Melee users have consistent damage throughout the fight, and warriors have the survivability to deliver it. This change has helped all the classes, but on balance helps melee damage more than magic. This is probably why you don't feel like you're not doing much damage, but I also feel like I'm not doing much damage.

I've always thought that there's a bit of triangle (not hard counters, per se, but favorable matchups) between caster, rogue and warrior. Warriors have armor and health to beat rogues, rogues have silence and damage buffs to beat casters, and casters have armor piercing magic but lower health to do well against warriors.

Teamfights have always depended on tanks, aoe and heals. If you don't have a healer you're prolly going to do poorly. The PvP tournaments have shown that it's crucial to have a healer class to give your team sustainability. If you're a tank of course you're not going to like magic damage, it's the only answer to most warrior classes. From my perspective I hate it when I have two ninjas and a runeblade coming after my ass in a teamfight, we all don't like classes our classes don't do well against.

I'd say take another look at your attribute points, include a bard for warsong or a mystic for might, use some speed pots to close and you'll be noticing the melee damage a lot more. As a wizard I'd say that melee damage is quite strong enough, I still get crushed if they slow me or close and I start getting bashed on.

If anything I'd say nerf constitution health gain, it is by far the best attribute.

Last edited:

Zaihn

Legacy Supporter 5
If anything I'd say nerf constitution health gain, it is by far the best attribute.

This.

As far as melee goes. (IMO):
  • DK - Strong
  • Pally - Very Strong
  • Beserker - Strong
  • Dragoon - Strong for world pvp
  • Ninja - Very Strong
  • Runeblade - Very Strong
  • Bard - Strong
  • Disc - Strong
Strength rework does need to take place. At the moment it is pretty useless for most classes.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
This.

As far as melee goes. (IMO):
  • DK - Strong
  • Pally - Very Strong
  • Beserker - Strong
  • Dragoon - Strong for world pvp
  • Ninja - Very Strong
  • Runeblade - Very Strong
  • Bard - Strong
  • Disc - Strong
Strength rework does need to take place. At the moment it is pretty useless for most classes.
:confused: How are Paladin and Runeblade considered to have better melee than Berserker?

How does any class have higher melee than Berserker? (Besides Ninja, but that is only when they backstab.)

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I just think you should have to spend more attribute points in general to get the functionality you want. If you want to mitigate melee damage with armor you should need to put more points into endurance than you currently do. Right now tons of people just walk around in iron armor not matter what their class is.

Zaihn

Legacy Supporter 5
:confused: How are Paladin and Runeblade considered to have better melee than Berserker?

How does any class have higher melee than Berserker? (Besides Ninja, but that is only when they backstab.)
You are misunderstanding my post. I ment the viability of the class itself not just their melee damage.

Right now tons of people just walk around in iron armor not matter what their class is.

People are walking around with pieces of iron armor. Having Iron legs and boots is the same as full leather. I think. You won't see a caster rocking full iron

@werwew19
@northeaster345
Disagreeing with math. Nice work morons.

btw, what caster spells have less base damage. they are the same, just with even more potential to deal dmg. Fireball, base damage with wizard is over 110, while icebolt got a small nerf. blizzard is shit ton of dmg, arcane blast, bolt, other shit, magic is still really powerful, and some pyros have full iron and can melee dish out lots of damage, as well as adding 100+ dmg with just chaos orb every 6 seconds