• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[deleted]

What should be done to remedy this issue?

• Greatly increase LWC costs

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Reduce LWC costs, allow TNT to blow them up

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • There's nothing wrong with LWC

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Lockpicking becomes much harder to implement when you realize
A) LWC, a plugin that hasn't been updated in 6 years, would need adjustments
B) PLOCK is easy to bruteforce with a script
C) Putting blocks over chests makes everyone unraidable again
A) We've managed so far with plain LWC, wouldn't be surprised if Kainzo pulled it out of thin air
B) Even with just 3 options, it's 260,000+ That's some serious trolling dedication. We'd have measures against this. Plocks also wouldn't be unlimited and free in the best case scenario.
C) War. TnT. Either you lock the chest and people need to pick it, or it's unlocked and is vulnerable to war.

There's no reason to just nerf LWC into the ground and make it worthless. Why bother letting LWC's be destroyed by TnT? No one would bother locking because Dirt would be just as safe, the exception of towns, and even then, they have region control.

I'm all for our locking system changing (I still felt 500c for LWC's with a limited number was fine. Maybe tone down Donor rewards to feel less P2W), but to make locking near worthless is foolish.

except for admins who do not play the map.
Also, just got around to reading the whole first post (Skimmed past the first time) and I'd like to remind you we WERE players, some of us for a long time. I was a normal player for 3 years before getting Guide, a low end staff position. It's not like I walked in, got admin, and have no idea what playing on the server is like. I've been around for a long time, so I know what it was like. And I'm still open to change from the old systems.

I'd like to see:

Semi-Protected chests (Some kind of Lockpick setup, where "locks" aren't unbreakable)
with only the Enderchest being true protection like Eghor said earlier.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I don't think you understand my point.

Here is a scenario:

Let's say TNT is enabled in regioned areas, but LWC is indestructible except by the lockpick skill of a new class, Thief.
You enter a house and an LWC chest has a block over it.
Now you need a level 50+ miner or level 60 engineer to use TNT on the block AND a thief to open the chest.

See how this is becoming way too convoluted?
But it's not. Raiding towns has never been a solo thing. If you wanted to RAID a town, you got a group, and jumped in. Sometimes literally over the walls. Other times you camped Airlocks, used GTP, heck, one time we built a sky pillar then fell into the region and used DropTheBass (Whatever the bard skill is that gives you falling protection) to get in.

Point is, it's nowhere near as complicated as you're trying to make it sound. Mastering a class isn't complicated, takes time sure but it's not convoluted.

Edit: Heck, if we made Thief again and gave it lockpicks, I wouldn't be surprised to see it coupled with Miner/Engie FOR the TnT for raiding. It'd be like a siege class used to break down walls and open loot.

Spirit_Guardian

Soulsand
I agree with bringing in lock picking or some other similar system -that does not involve blowing up the chest to spill out the contents-, but I don't think you need to add in a whole new class. Ninjas could use lockpicks (that take damage with each use) but a smith would have to make them. Tnt could be limited to being creatable only by engineers but only usable by miners (just because you can make it, doesn't mean you know how to use it; Ford made the first car, but I bet you they ran into everything when they tried to use it!).
This system could potentially encourage players to work together to:
(raiders)
1) breach the perimeter somehow, probably with the use of TnT.
2) protect one or more VIPs (ninjas, who will do the unlocking, and wizards who will carry the stolen resources out by porting/recalling)
3) hold an area while VIPs collect resources
4) extract any remaining VIPs with stolen resources

(town)
1) build a strong perimeter
2) create in-town defense measures, such as obsidian outcroppings (for ninjas/fighters to hide behind and ambush raiders), and watch towers.
3) strategize to successfully thwart enemy raiders
4) make hidden secondary measures for entering an area that is being held by raiders.
5) build a bigger town on the remains of the failed raiders.

(economy)
1) create more resources to sell to merchants that act as neutral third party buyers/sellers, allowing for further flow of money that does not require both players to be online (hiring an engineer for making circuits requires the engineer to be on, but he does not have to be on if he already made and put tnt on the market).

Yes, I am thinking about the few players who stay on later when there are not as many players on; they matter too.

People don't like playing games where they lose everything all the time, so there should still be some form of protection for items, but if there is too much protection for items it does make raiding somewhat unprofitable (even though you are going to earn takeover money for raiding the other town).
As for the War plug in, I can see it being abused by towns and raiding another town while they are all offline. Yea there may be a cool down, but that does not stop them from doing it in the first place; I cannot suggest any solution for that though.

Miner should not be able to make tnt, because more than one class having access to tnt is redundant and unneeded in a town setting.

Solo raiding a town should be VERY hard. Who do you think you are? You are not the big man in the sky, nor a flying spaghetti monster in space, so why should we make it easier for solo scrubs to raid our town while we are all offline? Making it easier for solo raiders to steal from towns completely negates the purpose of having towns in the first place, as well as the war system. Why join a town if some solo player can still just get in and steal everything? Ill give you an example of a solo raider.
A map or two ago I was a runeblade (I am wizard this time), and I managed to actually level up to a high level for once ( I know I am such a newb). Well I came across a town whos members were all offline, and they left their gates open. just let that sink in there... they left their GATES open. All the gates, in the ENTIRE town, were open. So I walked in and blinked to the top of one of the buildings, since the doors were all protected, and I let my self in through the unprotected entrances on the roofs. One building housed multiple people, and so after searching around I ended up with full gear and lots of resources. I started to get worried about them coming back online, so I used some of their redstone to recall back. LWC was used on this map, and I still found over eight chests that contained some rather valuable (and not so valuable) resources; note worthy loot includes several stacks of iron blocks (at the time it was valuable to me ok? I'm lazy), a nether star, and my new set of enchanted gear!
Now, even if that town hadn't left the gates open, I still could have gotten in with a bit of planning, but I tend to be too lazy for that.

TL;DR: People in towns tend to relax their security because they think they are safe, and thus end up overlooking some measure of security; which can end up leaving them vulnerable to theft, even If they use LWC on some chests.

No doubt there are flaws in what I have said, but since this is a suggestion thread go ahead and point them out for me.

Last edited:

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Lockpicking becomes much harder to implement when you realize
A) LWC, a plugin that hasn't been updated in 6 years, would need adjustments
B) PLOCK is easy to bruteforce with a script
C) Putting blocks over chests makes everyone unraidable again
Ok your first point is just stupid and ignorant. About 30 seconds of googling will show that you're wrong. On top of this I've personally worked with Hidendra to get him to fix old features and add new ones for this server. Not to mention the source code is available so if need be we can branch off our own version.

Your second point is right though. A combo like that could be broken with a script relatively easy if you could make it. The majority of people won't be able to. However I'm with most the other people here that destroying lwc chests with TNT is not a good solution, it's not a challenging game mechanic it's way to easy to obtain and use.

Unraidable bases have been a thing in Herocraft for the majority of it's life span. While I agree this needs to change I don't think it should be a simple task to get into people's valuables that would be bad for player retention as I'm fairly sure most new players would rage quit if they lost every last thing they worked for. In the past players have raided bases even though the chance of actually getting valuables from chests was zero, personally I think death chests are the mechanic that need modifying in some way rather than LWC. Currently it's too easy to get your items back vs how difficult it is to defend a chest if you die especially if you die in your own town if it has a graveyard.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well, LWC has been largely inactive, Hindera retired the person that took it over is basically "maintaining" it but its had a fair share of bugs the last 1-2 years.

Our tentative goal is to have PassLock recoded with the features that allow it for lockpicking (basically). I also agree that the enderchest should be the only "ultimately" secure place to stash the rares you have.

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Well, LWC has been largely inactive, Hindera retired the person that took it over is basically "maintaining" it but its had a fair share of bugs the last 1-2 years.

Our tentative goal is to have PassLock recoded with the features that allow it for lockpicking (basically). I also agree that the enderchest should be the only "ultimately" secure place to stash the rares you have.
@Egorh would you look at that