• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[deleted]

What should be done to remedy this issue?

• Greatly increase LWC costs

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Reduce LWC costs, allow TNT to blow them up

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • There's nothing wrong with LWC

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
If we allow TNT to unlock LWCs, why even use them at all. Just join a town and put a block above your chests. It's an interesting idea to make the server more hardcore, but I'm thinking the large majority would be against this. Also, I think obtaining TNT would be too easy and should be changed if this idea game to fruition.
To tack onto this, it's pretty shitty to lose all your shit when you're offline. LWC's let you keep some stuff.

The total number allowed and number of free can be played with, but I think it's for the better to use LWC.

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
If we allow TNT to unlock LWCs, why even use them at all. Just join a town and put a block above your chests. It's an interesting idea to make the server more hardcore, but I'm thinking the large majority would be against this. Also, I think obtaining TNT would be too easy and should be changed if this idea game to fruition.
It doesn't sound horrible if chests were difficult/costly to unlock. Make it so there is a risk/'reward aspect to it.

Does that chest contain a bunch of diamond tools or is it just a chest full of cobblestone? You could mess with those who would aim to raid you and make them lose more then they gain. Though I can see why people wouldn't care to bother with this, still I think it'd be fun.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We will be moving towards a modified and extremely fixed up version of Passlock for limited chest protection.

LWC has always had its limitations. Through activity checks (which we will probably lower to 2 weeks instead of 4 weeks) will keep inactive players stuff from clogging the system.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
We will be moving towards a modified and extremely fixed up version of Passlock for limited chest protection.

LWC has always had its limitations. Through activity checks (which we will probably lower to 2 weeks instead of 4 weeks) will keep inactive players stuff from clogging the system.
Issue with this is it's based off of Chest activity, not player login (Which even then, is easy too get around). Making chests donation chests so people open them but can't take or just logging in to open the chests is all it takes.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I think everything with chest locks is being overcomplicated.
The "hardcore" fix is to make locks free, but breakable (if they are regioned, only breakable with TNT).

I do not agree with the activity checks. As I agree with LordZelkova, read above.
Unlimited and free locks (Even breakable) is not hardcore. Especially Plock where brute force isn't an option and guessing would be stupid lucky.

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Is anyone going to listen to @Egorh 's suggestion? You should only be allowed to truly protect your items in one single ender chest. Everything else should be potentially raidable (tnt, war). This is the best suggestion yet. If you're smart you can still keep and protect many valuable items and also increases hardcore aspect and adds raiding incentive to HC

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Is anyone going to listen to @Egorh 's suggestion? You should only be allowed to truly protect your items in one single ender chest. Everything else should be potentially raidable (tnt, war). This is the best suggestion yet. If you're smart you can still keep and protect many valuable items and also increases hardcore aspect and adds raiding incentive to HC
Plock has a very good idea, but it was insane with infinite free locks and an absurd password system (64^3 is far too many for a normal person to brute force). If possible, it'd be better to have a sort of lockpick skill or ability that can try and break into chests, be they LWC or Plock or some other.

Allowing TnT to break LWC's has never gone well, and would lead to Dupes/Loss of items

The issue is that towns are going to require large amounts of materials and resources. Many times in the past have large towns expressed how difficult it was to keep their stuff safe, even just the more valuable stuff. There is a intricate balance that needs to be found for the current playstyle. The server isn't the same as it was 5 years ago.

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
LordZelkova touches on an interesting idea: why not try to solve this conflict by means of role-play?

Perhaps Engineers could have a "place charge" skill that would have a chance of breaching an LWC'ed chest. The skill would cost money to use, or use rare reagents, and the chance of success would scale with level.

And perhaps the rogue classes could have a "pick lock" skill. This skill would also cost money to use, or require a rare reagent. Success chance would also scale with level.

If one wanted to be really "hard core," the cost for an LWC breach or pick attempt could be a character's experience... Say, lose a level or two. This mechanic, combined with the way the chance of success scales with level, could insure that the rate of successful breaches/picks is reasonable.

Furthermore, one could take the concept a step further and make a loss of experience integral to creating LWC chests in the first place. Want to LWC a chest? Each chest will cost X experience.

Or perhaps only Engineers (and possible Rogue classes) can make LWCs. Upon creation, the chest gets a "key." Whoever is holding the consumable key upon final activation becomes the owner of the chest.

Going even further, perhaps Engineers or whoever could create a "Masterwork Locked Chest," too. This would be a truly uncrackable chest, but would come at the cost of a permanent level cap reduction in the creator's combat class or profession. Or both. This could create an interesting balance of playstyle: players who insist on having truly safe storage could only do so at the cost of having their level cap nerfed.

Maybe make it harsh, like 5 levels per chest. That way, a player could have 12 truly safe chests if they were okay playing as essentially a Lost Soul.

Anyway, I'm just spitballing ideas here. I'm not particularly advocating for any of this, as I don't really have a dog in this fight. I rarely own anything worth stealing!

Byrozy

TNT
If we allow TNT to unlock LWCs, why even use them at all. Just join a town and put a block above your chests. It's an interesting idea to make the server more hardcore, but I'm thinking the large majority would be against this. Also, I think obtaining TNT would be too easy and should be changed if this idea came to fruition.
What if we only allowed miners and engineers to use there TNT skills to unlock LWCs, because then it wont be as easy to obtain

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Plock has a very good idea, but it was insane with infinite free locks and an absurd password system (64^3 is far too many for a normal person to brute force). If possible, it'd be better to have a sort of lockpick skill or ability that can try and break into chests, be they LWC or Plock or some other.

Allowing TnT to break LWC's has never gone well, and would lead to Dupes/Loss of items

The issue is that towns are going to require large amounts of materials and resources. Many times in the past have large towns expressed how difficult it was to keep their stuff safe, even just the more valuable stuff. There is a intricate balance that needs to be found for the current playstyle. The server isn't the same as it was 5 years ago.
LordZelkova touches on an interesting idea: why not try to solve this conflict by means of role-play?

Perhaps Engineers could have a "place charge" skill that would have a chance of breaching an LWC'ed chest. The skill would cost money to use, or use rare reagents, and the chance of success would scale with level.

And perhaps the rogue classes could have a "pick lock" skill. This skill would also cost money to use, or require a rare reagent. Success chance would also scale with level.

If one wanted to be really "hard core," the cost for an LWC breach or pick attempt could be a character's experience... Say, lose a level or two. This mechanic, combined with the way the chance of success scales with level, could insure that the rate of successful breaches/picks is reasonable.

Furthermore, one could take the concept a step further and make a loss of experience integral to creating LWC chests in the first place. Want to LWC a chest? Each chest will cost X experience.

Or perhaps only Engineers (and possible Rogue classes) can make LWCs. Upon creation, the chest gets a "key." Whoever is holding the consumable key upon final activation becomes the owner of the chest.

Going even further, perhaps Engineers or whoever could create a "Masterwork Locked Chest," too. This would be a truly uncrackable chest, but would come at the cost of a permanent level cap reduction in the creator's combat class or profession. Or both. This could create an interesting balance of playstyle: players who insist on having truly safe storage could only do so at the cost of having their level cap nerfed.

Maybe make it harsh, like 5 levels per chest. That way, a player could have 12 truly safe chests if they were okay playing as essentially a Lost Soul.

Anyway, I'm just spitballing ideas here. I'm not particularly advocating for any of this, as I don't really have a dog in this fight. I rarely own anything worth stealing!
The server I played on before HC had a lockpick plugin for lwc. It added an extremely fun aspect to base and town building as you had to find ways to hide your chests or make them incredibly difficult to get to.

I believe the plugin stopped being updated about two years back, but who better to revive it than the creators of the heroes plugin.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Kainzo was dreaming up a heroes based lock system in discord a few months ago where one profession makes locks (blacksmith) and one class (ninja? The return of Thief?) Has a skill to attempt to pick the lock.

That's the best solution IMO

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5

I also like this. I think there would have to be some appeasement to the high tier donors who were primarily motivated to donate for lwc perks but there's gotta be a plugin out there to expand ender chests size for specific players. It doesn't have to be much increase but a little bit would probably satisfy everyone if we just went enderchest only

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Kainzo was dreaming up a heroes based lock system in discord a few months ago where one profession makes locks (blacksmith) and one class (ninja? The return of Thief?) Has a skill to attempt to pick the lock.

That's the best solution IMO
There used to be a plugin that did this but it was buggy.

Could accomplish same by restricting LWC placement to engineers, add to the economy too.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
The "locks" and "lockpicking" is too convoluted. Let's not make an entire class revolve around this.

The simple solutions are
a) allow TNT to blow up any chest, LWC locked or not
b) remove all locks (at least on chests)
c) leave the system how it is

Right now, the community wants a hardcore PvP sever without any risks. That's contradictory.

This is what I suggest we do:

1. Enable the destruction of LWC blocks by TNT
2. Restrict TNT to high level professions (as it is currently)
3. [option for debate] Allow free or very cheap LWC locks as means of keep items private within town/residence
Why this is hardcore: This method maintains the hardcore aspect of both raiding and leveling by putting players' items at risk and forcing users to grind for access to TNT

Constructive feedback appreciated!
If you can blow them up,* there is zero point to them being LWCs over just putting dirt on chests.
b and a are practically the same thing at that rate.

(*and have the contents spill; many systems will make the chest disappear and reappear with the contents intact).

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
The "locks" and "lockpicking" is too convoluted. Let's not make an entire class revolve around this.

The simple solutions are
a) allow TNT to blow up any chest, LWC locked or not
b) remove all locks (at least on chests)
c) leave the system how it is

Right now, the community wants a hardcore PvP sever without any risks. That's contradictory.

This is what I suggest we do:

1. Enable the destruction of LWC blocks by TNT
2. Restrict TNT to high level professions (as it is currently)
3. [option for debate] Allow free or very cheap LWC locks as means of keep items private within town/residence
Why this is hardcore: This method maintains the hardcore aspect of both raiding and leveling by putting players' items at risk and forcing users to grind for access to TNT

Constructive feedback appreciated!

Or we continue using LWC, and either adapt a Lockpick Skill, or switch to Plock and do something similar.
It's not that complicated in theory (Maybe execution, but it's a simple enough idea, that would balance out LWC's while keeping them still protected 95% of the time).