• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Dark Rooms in towns

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I believe darkrooms in towns have taken away from the importance of player interaction and world pvp. In previous maps, most of world pvp would occur because of ganking while leveling, then group fights would occur after that. I believe, if possible, the flag for mobs spawning in towns should be globally turned off. If this is not possible, then I believe we should simply make it illegal to have a darkroom inside the town.

@Rules Council (if this is still a thing)

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I feel this would cause more dirt plates to be built in the sky
From the wiki: "Darks Rooms must be built underground. (Unless the build above ground is visually appealing)"

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Dark Rooms don't seem to work anyways (Unless I'm doing it wrong).. Most I have seen in our Dark Room has been 3 mobs at once and usually its empty. I find way more mobs on the surface then I do in the Dark Room.

cat8898

Legacy Supporter 6
Because getting camped by 7 people and not being able to level at any point because people will constantly be there during boosts etc. is the example of being interactive and engaging. But maybe it's my fault I like playing alone for the most part? /shrug

Yeah, they were made legal when leveling could really only be done consistently is dungeons, and now that they're no longer about, it would make sense to make them illegal again.

Okay, the existence of dark rooms is the problem here, right? To many ppl grind in rooms so there is less pvp? Instead of removing the dark rooms, why not drastically reduce the combat experience gained in town zones? That way if ppl want 2 lvl their classes they actually go into the world. Maybe make it so that mobs spawn in certain areas more often, so people actually want to go there

Hai_o3o

TNT
I'm not too sure people really want to be getting ranked in dungeons. I think they should do dungeons like they did back then, high level dungeons have pvp on for a majority of the time and then pvp turns off for a few hours, so then people who want to pvp can pvp and people who don't want to pvp don't have to pvp. Honestly I don't see the appeal in grinding and then being jumped and ganked, or have to constantly look behind your shoulder for toxic players. That's what makes people leave :I. What's diamond castle for? PVP. What are dungeons for? Leveling and PVE.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
So as long as the only place to level isn't in dungeons (and the standard global mob spawn is active), I agree that dark rooms in towns and personal regions should be permanently turned off. This will help to promote PVP and ganking of commonly used PVP-ON leveling locations, which in turn creates turf wars and PVP-based conflicts, which HC needs as much of as possible.

-yavool

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
@Kainzo in addition @Irishman81's request, an additional request I have is to ramp up the mob spawn rate worldwide. One of the reasons for the need for dark rooms is because mobs simply do not spawn at a fast enough rate on the natural terrain. Back in the days of Bastion, the mob spawn rate was pretty high at night, but HC was dealing with a ton of lag issues. It seems that for the most part you have been able to address most of the lag problems, yet we still have archaic remnants from the compensation you needed to implement during that time and subsequent maps, such as reduced animal and mob spawn rates and reduced spell particles (oh, the beautiful fireworks of a Cleric's Smite, or a Ranger's Explosive Shot, or a Necromancer's Bonespear! (the latter, which, in the lag era, would travel at two blocks per second for 10 seconds and a person could cast and outrun the animation, lol).

• By increasing mob spawn rate at night, it gives people who want to level a reason to be outside.
  • By blocking mob spawning, it gives people a reason to leave their town and be outside.
  • With this in mind, PVPers have a chance to organize, wander, track, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt, while also having to manage mob spawns in the process, including boss mobs.
  • By increasing the chance of named items (be it relics, weapons, armor, or otherwise) dropping from both regular and named mobs, this further incentivizes outside travel.
  • By having the mob rate stay a night time thing, this allows the mobs to reset once per day and remove any residual lag issues due to accumulation of mobs.

In short, I am suggesting:
block mob spawns in towns and personal regions;
increase mob spawn rates at night...make it dangerous to be outside due to the number of mobs that spawn, and give PVPers some additional targets;
increase animal spawn during the day (cows, chickens, horses, pigs, etc.);
bring back the quality particle animations of the spells...fireworks galore!
Make sure that Ranger's Track is fully functional, for enhance tracking of people leveling during the night time.

Thank you,

-yav

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
I believe darkrooms in towns have taken away from the importance of player interaction and world pvp. In previous maps, most of world pvp would occur because of ganking while leveling, then group fights would occur after that. I believe, if possible, the flag for mobs spawning in towns should be globally turned off. If this is not possible, then I believe we should simply make it illegal to have a darkroom inside the town.

@Rules Council (if this is still a thing)
IIRC you can set things up to block mob spawning, but not hostile mob spawning.
This means you'd prevent farmer abilities from working at all inside towns.

Additionally, people would just go to bedrock underneath their town and build a darkroom one region out of their border; it wouldn't really change much.

Why not have much better xp and drops outside bases by 200 blocks, the further you are from your town factors into xp gains, and the closer to another town the higher as well?