• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

D&D

RedKhan

Soulsand
Has or does anyone here play Dungeons and dragons?

Reason I ask is that my friends and I have fallen into the pattern of having a weekly/bi-weekly night of boardgames/videogames almost accidentally. We've played plenty of Risk, Axis of allies and the like and the skill gap when it comes to video games sort of sucks out the fun.

So I was considering suggesting this and I was just wondering would anyone recommend it? As far as I'm aware it can be quite heavy going and involves a lot of organisation beforehand?

the wolfe

Legacy Supporter 6
well i myself do not have personal experiance but my older brother does and yes it takes a WHOLE lotta planning before hand and dedication also games sometimes take more than one day if they are hard enough hope this little bit of advice helps "i read my bro's books several times when i was younger liked the pictures on the front of the books":cool:

Cainanth

Dirt
I used to play a lot when I was younger, though never much got into the Dungeon Master side of things. It can take a lot of pre-planning/organization, but it depends what kind of group you're running with. Some people like to just wing it, we did that for the most part, as most sessions were sit around, drink a lot, smoke some mind altering substances, and see how the story unrolls. But if you're going about it all official like, you need rule books and dice and a campaign to run through.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
:D D&D is quite awesome indeed. I don't know what version we play, but I know that it is one of the... older versions. I recommend it, and yes, it does involve quite a bit of preparation on the DM's part. We usually don't get far though, because general chatter ensues, then we're off topic for 5-30 minutes. ;)

RedKhan

Soulsand
That's usually the drill, buying a pack of beers is always cheaper than the pub and usually just as fun at a flat with friends (Student's, always skint).

Chances are we won't play it 100%, I'm only downloading the rulebooks just now and they will be as clueless as me in regards to how things work. No way we'd manage a day long session though, I think 4 hours would be tops before we all lose the will to carry on. I'm sure I'll have a little fun with prep, need to work some personal jokes into the scenario.. :p

the wolfe

Legacy Supporter 6
That's usually the drill, buying a pack of beers is always cheaper than the pub and usually just as fun at a flat with friends (Student's, always skint).

Chances are we won't play it 100%, I'm only downloading the rulebooks just now and they will be as clueless as me in regards to how things work. No way we'd manage a day long session though, I think 4 hours would be tops before we all lose the will to carry on. I'm sure I'll have a little fun with prep, need to work some personal jokes into the scenario.. :p

yeah my brother was really into it back in the 80s but well some things never change he's still very protective of the books and well glad to see people trying new stuff no matter what it is tell me how it goes if you do, do it sounds like a bit of adventure itself that i may never get to experiance and love to hear how it goes down:cool:

RedKhan

Soulsand
Just played, good time had by all that participated. Here's a summary of our scenario.

Plains - Storm

Inside, people sheltering:
Showoff cunt with log lock.
Tradesman dwarf, 2 human buyers. (Antidote, supplies, fine wears)
Pimp with 4 whores.
Unlocked trapdoor to crypt.

Night falls:
Rattling/zombie invasion.(7 small zombies / 2 huge guard door)
Fight
Girls stolen, 1 man infected.

Into Crypt:
Pitch darkness.
Mummified corpses, web trap.
2 spiders - One grabs human.
Fight
Possibility of loot from spiders and corpses.

Into pit, down staircase:
Spiders around, heroes have to sneak or run.
Dex check not to fall to their spidery death, heroes can catch one another.

Corpse Pit:
Unawakened zombies - Perception to see them, Dexterity to sneak past them.
Locked door, perception or intelligence to figure out, takes one turn to open, further dex check if zombies are alive.

Necromancers Lair:
Vincent Necrot
2 Whore's on stone slabs all cut open and shit.
2 large zombies, 1 half made huge zombie - Roll con check for zombie to see if it falls apart.
Fight
Necro begs for mercy and a chance to explain. Offers whores undead and living alike.
Return living to pimp, get reward.
Tally up exp.

HPEXPGold
Ross - 30/281694
Lloyd - 18/2816915
Megan - 5/2218037
Alex - 11/2616918
Kenneth - 17/21149177

Spider - 246
Zombie - 274
Necromancer - 163

50/55 44/55

2 more turns of the crypt being on fire.
Megan must 15 or more CON to roll to wake up.
1 whore to save.

Players did some stuff I hadn't accounted for, but in the end hilarity was had at the consequences.

I Liiiike it!

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I happen to Like Mutants & Masterminds better than D&D :p

It's the same KIND of game, but in a comic book world setting.

It's like PLAYING the Venture Bros. in a D&D game (if you aren't playing serious :p)

It's also simpler, just one dice (20D)

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
I DM'd for about a year on a weekly game. It was 5 of us and none of us knew what was going on so first we decided on a DM(Ended up being me) and the four of them rolled characters. The first month was atrocious and filled with holes that I accidentally left in. Throughout all of it though so much hilarity was found in it "He can't attack me! There's a wall between us!" "...Fuck"

By the end though I would say I'm pretty confident and a decent DM though and had a lot of fun. Missed doing it every week though, some special fun in it.

I've heard you can do D&D through IRC. If that's possible we need to start a Herocraft D&D Night!

RedKhan

Soulsand
I'd be up for that, so long as we had warning in advance :)
Also DnD with comic book elements sounds hilariously fun (Venture Bro's rocks also).

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
In the future I plan on making a M & M character based on @Domitius :p

The skin in your sig is so perfect. A black canadian wizard whos only skills are teleport, electricity control, Mind Shield (adds to my will saves, think manasheild), telekinesis, and a bunch of odd skills here and there :p

It would be awesome!

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Hahahaha, Tell me how Your/My Character Fairs!
well my new job gets in the way of making it to my weekely game on time, so i'm sticking to my last character.

A drunken wizard named Reptile :p With a flaw called full power (everything i do is over just OUT there), and all my powers are best to be adjusted (which I can't do because of full power) like temprature control, weather control, teleport, etc.

One time I used temprature control to avoid passing out because i failed a teleport and landed in the polar ice caps.
...many polar bears died >:D

I also roll a will save whenever i reach into my dimensional pocked (which holds entire galaxies) to avoid drinking, which lowers my rolls by 1 for each I've had that day. I only sober up 2 drinks every sunrise :p It's intense!

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
@strongholdx Wanna do some writing for us? :D
Now I have to read this entire long ass thread and actually care. Way to go Dom...give me a sec

EDIT: Wait what? I don't understand, what would i be writting? I've never played D&D or anything of the like. The fuck am I supposed to do and how much am I getting payed?

RedKhan

Soulsand
A scenario for however many people intended to play, don't really need to know the rules, just provide combat encounters, obstacles to overcome (Traps, ricketty ropebridges, swamps - Whatever you can think of) secret loot or puzzles, a few NPC's with some possibilities for interaction + reward.

Plus a boss would be nice :p

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
A scenario for however many people intended to play, don't really need to know the rules, just provide combat encounters, obstacles to overcome (Traps, ricketty ropebridges, swamps - Whatever you can think of) secret loot or puzzles, a few NPC's with some possibilities for interaction + reward.

Plus a boss would be nice :p
Ok that helps, So I'm to just provide a setting with a scenario, with enviornmental and other factors? I'm at school right now, I can type somehting up in Study hall.

RedKhan

Soulsand
I'm new to it, but that sounds about right. You can find examples online fairly easily I think.

Hardest part when I did it was making the scenario work for brand new lvl 1 characters, but that is easily fixed by tweaking monsters stats. I assume whoever is gonna DM the game will handle that though.

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
I'm new to it, but that sounds about right. You can find examples online fairly easily I think.

Hardest part when I did it was making the scenario work for brand new lvl 1 characters, but that is easily fixed by tweaking monsters stats. I assume whoever is gonna DM the game will handle that though.
I assume DM is Dungeon Master? yeah I'll work on this, things like such come easy to me