• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Colocation

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
I hear this term all the time, mostly from Kainzo, anyone care to explain what Colocation is?

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Related to computers, colocation is the provision of network services by a third party. Essentially, Herocraft will be hosted by a larger colocation centre to provide us with faster and more reliable connection speeds and bandwidth.

BadHaddy

User Abuser
strongholdx said:
I hear this term all the time, mostly from Kainzo, anyone care to explain what Colocation is?

Essentially, the server is moving from Kainzo's apartment (aka his evil lair) to what basically amounts to a fortress for computers. The data center has huge internet connections, measured in dozens of gigabits per second. It also provides redundant power, excellent cooling, and physical protection (in our case, the local Police Department has arrangements to provide services.)

The facility in question is called NetArx, a smaller data center in South Bend, Indiana. The building is made from reinforced concrete, has redundant power from 2 different power companies, multiple internet connections, waterless fire suppression, physical access control (biometrics and keypads) and is generally considered to be a pretty good facility.

Sometimes these places are also called 'server farms.

Here are my servers ready to be installed into Savvis-1, a 300,000sqft datacenter in Fort Worth, TX

servers.jpg

And here is the small (tier 2) datacenter my company has. We have 240 phone lines coming in here, as well as OC-48 + 2.5G SONNET for internet. We had about 5000mb/s internet bandwidth in this very small datacenter.

100_0945.jpg

And here is our battery backup, it is about 2900lbs, and lasts for about 15 minutes, to allow our 2 massive generators to come online.

100_0951.jpg

some other pics....
100_0956.jpg

100_0970.jpg

'

BadHaddy

User Abuser
Apherdite said:

Heh, those pictures were taken during construction :p Now, sadly, fire has ravaged the office building (as of last night) and that datacenter is gone. Good new is, I get to build a new one! Downside is, they usually run 300,000-450,000 to get built without any servers :p

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
cool beans, thanks guys!

Suppose I should have been paying attention in Cisco Networking >.>
I knew I had heard the term before
All I could think of was the military and colocating forces >.<

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Haddy and I will be prepping the machine to begin the colocation - down time will ensue but not for long - we're going to overnight the machine I think.

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
How the Hell did it burn Down??? All I see is Concrete and steel beams...

(and that totally sucks, glad your insured and I hope you like pulling wire!)

totally puts to shame the rat nest of wires behind my desk huh?

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
Doreagarde said:
Draskuul said:
pic of thing

Is that a multimeter that detects signal in a network cable? How does that work?

The square part is a tone generator. You hook it into one end of the cable and turn it on (various methods to connect it). Then you take the wand part, push down the button on it, then run the probe tip across the various wires you suspect it is part of. It will give you a warbling noise that gets louder the closer you get to the correct cable.

I've dug out cables from bundles like that before in a matter of seconds.

BadHaddy

User Abuser
Airbus101 said:
How the Hell did it burn Down??? All I see is Concrete and steel beams...

(and that totally sucks, glad your insured and I hope you like pulling wire!)

totally puts to shame the rat nest of wires behind my desk huh?

Multiple lightning strikes nailed the building, started 2 fires in the grass next to it. The cladding caught fire, and it went downhill from there. Inexplicably, city water was pressure down from 75 to ~15psi, and the suppression system couldn't activate.

Insurance is paying out, right now its estimated at 2.7mil, and rising...

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
Will 11,000 Coin from my pockets pay for all the damage? :) And sorry to hear about the mess.