• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Cleric or Disciple?

Kyren_

Stone
Ahoy!

I'm the healer in our group (meaning me and 3 other noobs/pirates), and so far we cover every base-class. My comrades are a warrior, a caster and a rogue.

Currently it looks like we'll only have one close range fighter once we all level up to 20, and this makes me wonder - Is it worth going Cleric for being able to heal all the group, or should I go Disciple and help with the close range fighting as well with healing a little still?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Ahoy!

I'm the healer in our group (meaning me and 3 other noobs/pirates), and so far we cover every base-class. My comrades are a warrior, a caster and a rogue.

Currently it looks like we'll only have one close range fighter once we all level up to 20, and this makes me wonder - Is it worth going Cleric for being able to heal all the group, or should I go Disciple and help with the close range fighting as well with healing a little still?
It's whatever fits your play-style. Disciple has more melee abilities and can still heal group (albeit not for much)

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
If you want to focus on healing, then go Cleric. If you want to have a little more fun with fighting, go Disciple.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
As a Cleric your group will most likely perform better and survive better but you will get very little glory as you are not going to be doing any damage at all. You group will put out less damage but it's survivability will be 4 times better.
As a Disciple you will output a decent amount of damage and they are a ton of fun to play but your group will be more of a glass cannon group. It will not survive long sustained battles. You will have to finish you opponents quick.

sheepcrys

Legacy Supporter 3
Disciple: Medium healing, Medium damage, fun: Balance class.

Cleric: heal, heal, heal, invinc, heal, heal, group heal, buff, invin: Healing class.

Soooo go mystic ^ ^

DefaultTexture

Legacy Supporter 4
Disciple: Medium healing, Medium damage, fun: Balance class.

Cleric: heal, heal, heal, invinc, heal, heal, group heal, buff, invin: Healing class.

Soooo go mystic ^ ^

Mystic practically loses all mana BEFORE you can kill someone. Disciple is getting a nerf and turning into a meatshield, not even able to heal in combat. I would suggest Cleric.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
Now that I've posted I may as well chime in. Before I start I'd like to point out that these statements are coming from what things look like on the test server.

Alrighty, so here's the deal. Both a Cleric and a Disciple have the ability to deal with close range fighting, the Cleric with its natural tankiness and the Disciple with its disruption abilities and passive healing. Now, the real distinction comes in based on playstyle, like Kainzo said. If you want to focus on healing and not much fighting or otherwise, Cleric is just the thing for you. If you'd like to be in the thick of the fight with your allies, dishing out damage and heals and support, Disciple is what you want. A disciple can't heal themselves (or others) as much as clerics can, obviously, but the disciple fulfills different roles than the cleric. Lemme break it down for you.

The disicple is a healing, supportive bodyguard. You are adept at disorienting, dislocating and messing with people. Additionally, you have a pretty spammable instant group heal that heals allies for 110 hp, you for 84hp. Even more, your melee attacks heal yourself and your allies (provided that they're in range), and in times of emergency you can balance the % hp of your entire group (again, provided they're in range). The disciple is really effective if you're a good fighter and know how to manage your situational abilities, while utilizing the area around you for added effect. See a body of water? forcepush an assailant into it. That'll slow them down, while the rest of your team takes on what's left of the enemy group. Someone's beating on your caster? forcepush the guy way, or knock them all up with ironfist. Group got plagued? Chakra it away while healing for 110. Of course, it is lacking in pure heals and if you don't fight then you're going to have a harder time staying alive than the cleric, but you more than make up for it with your array or support/situational abilities.

So, TLDR; Disciple is more support oriented bodyguard-fighter with less healing but still able to hold it's own in various ways. Cleric is an almost pure healer, adept at healing their group for quite a bit with either aoe heals or large, single target heals. Survivability is also greater as a cleric, as you have other invulnerability/group invuln abilities that lend to that. Take yer pick.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
It was changed back after I cried myself to sleep about it.

At no point were disciples "unable to heal themselves", and if you say otherwise you're talking out your ass. It was changed so that they can not use renewal/mend on themselves, but in place of that you've got chakra and the passive lifesteal. It's on the fence as to whether or not disciples should be able to use renewal on themselves, but either way they'll still be supportive bodyguarding fighterz, and they'll always be able to heal themselves one way or another

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
Yes they could always heal themselves with chakra and touchofjin but all of that was minute compared to using renewal. I hope disciples will keep it upon the updates to live as it's always nice not to just rely on an 84 Hp per 8 sec after you get hit by a mob.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
Yes they could always heal themselves with chakra and touchofjin but all of that was minute compared to using renewal. I hope disciples will keep it upon the updates to live as it's always nice not to just rely on an 84 Hp per 8 sec after you get hit by a mob.

The idea was to replace it with the lifesteal, which should ideall make up for renewal in order to make the class less kitey. We'll see, it's all still in testing

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
A Disciple without a feasible way to heal himself is not much of a healer imo. When you finish a 1v1 fight and you're left with 1 heart, it's more practical to eat food instead of using Chakra every 8 seconds 12 times to heal to full. One of the bigger things that drew me toward Disciple, or any healer, is to never have to worry about food. Needing to wait nearly 2 minutes to heal yourself to full isn't practical.

In conclusion, Disciples need Renewal on themselves.