• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Claiming structures

applelove

Legacy Supporter 5
It's no secret that I dislike the claiming system, so perhaps I'm just being sour in posting this.

claim.png

I dislike the system all around because whether a person is inactive or not, it's a rather big slap in the face to login one morning to find someone trying to steal away your construction. Even more so if you had some sort of emergency or situation that kept you away for a few days. Before anyone jumps to it, I'm aware of how long it takes to make a claim, I'm talking about the signs alone, not the success of the claim.

The rules for convenience' sake:

Abandoned structures of inactive players can be claimed. You can check for inactivity by looking a sign containing the owner's name and using the lastlogin command (/lastlogin <playername>). Inactivity is generally defined as not logging in for a period of four weeks or more. If the player is inactive or there is no sign on the structure, the following procedure applies.

1. Place a sign in a visible location with your name, date you placed the sign, and intent to claim. (Do not remove this sign, as it is used to confirm the claim date by admins/mods)
  2. Wait one week from the date on your sign.
  3. Sumbit a petition (/pe new <message>) with your request to confirm the claim. Be sure to include coordinates of the building. A Staff member will check your claim. They have the final say in all claiming requests, and have the authority to deny you.
The purpose of the petition is to ensure the structure is truly abandoned. Many times players will have notified staff they will be on an extended vacation or military leave, and wish their structure to be protected.
Feel like there should be some penalty for not reading the rules. They're exceedingly easy to follow, and in the face of every member who signs up. //vented

The claim sign, by the way, is hidden on a pillar to the side of the building. I only saw it because I fell from the roof right next to it

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Yeah, that violates the easily visible and inactivity rules. So, you want, like, a 1 week suspension on claiming When a player makes an invalid claim? How common are these? I really don't know.

applelove

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm making no suggestions, merely venting frustration with an implementation I dislike. Some folks on herocraft have never so much as read the rules, and make it pretty obvious that they haven't.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Welcome to the North Road.

Quoted for truth.

edit:

Although this is no where near as bad as simply griefing the structure entirely. I would consider the sign griefing your area if excessively overused or placing it in very obnoxious areas as such.

Probably a good lol for the admins when they check jind's /pe about his claim. "Uh yeah that sign.. up there, you don't see it? turn around! *facepalm*"

Hahaha!

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
To be quite honest, I think it should be up to me/other Admins to go around and "tag" structures as inactive and up for claim. Hell, I'd even be up for people asking me to watch structures for inactivity then tagging them when necessary. By tagging, I mean placing a sign saying it's available and linking a Tiny.cc link on it to the claiming rules, etc.

The system definitely needs a REDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

ruethian

Legacy Supporter 6
But that would pretty much make all your time on the server spent running around and checking innactivities brutal.

I dont see how the current system is so difficult. Find the sign with the owners name, /lastlogin them. If its over 2 weeks place a sign (neer the sign with their name or any other obvious location) saying u are claiming this, wait a week and then petition for approval. All the admin has to do then is check the owners last login and block check the sign and it done.

If people can't simply follow these steps then they don't deserve to take someone else's work

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
It'd be cool if there were some super advanced features of dynmap to highlight in multiple modes a specific players changes to the map in a color format and in 3d and at an angle so admins can mouse over and see those blocks last changed dates on overlay if they're looking to either undo or let a recent inactive player's structures be claimed.

Would take just a few minutes this way and a few /tp me x y z's. OR maybe even the ability to make selections via mouse pointer and holding shift to change the x and y to say y and z for example for form boxes in 3d over someones work on dynmap and restore those blocks to the original map seed for example. That'd be really cool. Pro art tools in real-time. lols.

I remember running across this rule just a couple days ago. I didn't recognize it. I knew that you could somehow place a sign and a week later claim it, but I didn't remember ever learning about checking for activity or opening a /pe for it. I love these specifications, though. They make a lot more sense than "It's mine. I waited a week."

Are these specifications a recent addition, or did I do a lousy job of reading the rules my first time through?

Devoshade

Legacy Supporter 7
I think the systems bullshit cause alot of people abuse and act like they dont know the rules when they do so they can say like "oh its been a week im claiming it" instead of a whole month like last year when i deployed down here to afghanistan i was offline for 2 months before i got my net luckily my people watched my stuff for me cause they knew i was down here, yet they informed me of all the people constantly trying to claim and the first one was withing the first week i offline coming down here. So yea all the noobs that act like they dont know for easy claims, can kiss my ass before anyone does anything on the server THEY NEED TO READ THE DAMN RULES sick and tired of all these people constantly making up there own rules saying thats what it says on the site BULLSHIT, anyways hope gets improved, and like apple says for emergencys like mine coming here we need a page to write on for others to reference so they know whats up if its legit why we off.

Plasma78

Legacy Supporter 7
Simple fix:

if it was last map, its wiped and gone.
if it was new map which has been, the wiki has rules, as does in game.

use /pe new i think someone claimed my structure illegaly

Alot of the rules are on the wiki:
http://www.herocraftonline.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Rules

Claiming a structure
Abandoned structures of inactive players can be claimed. You can check for inactivity by looking a sign containing the owner's name and using the lastlogin command (/lastlogin <playername>). Inactivity is generally defined as not logging in for a period of four weeks or more. If the player is inactive or there is no sign on the structure, the following procedure applies.
  1. Place a sign in a visible location with your name, date you placed the sign, and intent to claim. (Do not remove this sign, as it is used to confirm the claim date by admins/mods)
  2. Wait one week from the date on your sign.
  3. Sumbit a petition (/pe new <message>) with your request to confirm the claim. Be sure to include coordinates of the building. A Staff member will check your claim. They have the final say in all claiming requests, and have the authority to deny you.
The purpose of the petition is to ensure the structure is truly abandoned. Many times players will have notified staff they will be on an extended vacation or military leave, and wish their structure to be protected.

Staff is here to help !!! :D