• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Resolved Bow damage against protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpunx

Legacy Supporter 6
We have been on test server looking for the bow damage values, we noticed theres a bug how protection armor scales.

(all the values are with a 28% of reduction / 35 eq. weigh)

1tick charge & 0 protection = 26 dmg
2tick charge & 0 protection = 130 dmg

1tick charge & 16 protection = 10 dmg
2tick charge & 16 protection = 50 dmg

Bow damage is based on the 1 tick charge, the protection armor reduction is not a % so if its based on the 1 tick charge, it scales weird, and makes rangers useless against them.

Solution: If its possible to change the calculation so that the base damage is done on the 2 tick charge.

2 tick dmg = 5 * B * (1-armor%) - protection
1 tick dmg = 2 tick dmg / 5

instead of the actual
1 tick dmg = B * (1-armor%) - protection
2 tick dmg = 1 tick dmg * 5

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
should just remove protection armor from game, replace with attributes armor.... one day.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
should just remove protection armor from game, replace with attributes armor.... one day.
ikr, especially if a low melee class like DK or any of the spell casters (most wont need to melee, but cleric does as otherwise it only has smite). the prot happens after the armor mitigation, so lets say a cleric goes against someone with prot 16 and 40% damage reduction. a cleric has 37 damage with a gold/diamond hoe, so each hit would deal about 6.2 damage. now lets look at a class that actually is supposed to use melee. DK for example has a base of 46 damage for diamond. after the 40% reduc, it deals 27.6 damage as normal, but now lets add prot 16, dropping it down to 11.6 damage a swing. so if a wizard had 40% damage reduc and prot 16, as the squishiest class of about 700 HP, it'd still take about 60 swings from the DK. seems logical, a squishy wizard can take 60 slices of an axe.

EDIT: whoops, didn't see this was a bug report, thought it was a suggestion just saw in the recent post box :rolleyes:

TheAncientTeam

Legacy Supporter 7
well while we're on the topic of enchants. how are those punch 3 bows serving you, cause I can tell you that a punch 3 bow is far more effective than protection armour in most cases.

Avoir

Obsidian
well while we're on the topic of enchants. how are those punch 3 bows serving you, cause I can tell you that a punch 3 bow is far more effective than protection armour in most cases.
Punch bow may be effective with keeping people away but when you do 30-50 dmg peer arrow it'll take you days to kill anyone with prot 4, that's the issue.

peterpunx

Legacy Supporter 6
Just want to know if its supposed to be like that, if its a bug, if they are gonna try to fix it,...
Many rangers looking for this info to decide if its worth or not.

Avoir

Obsidian
Just want to know if its supposed to be like that, if its a bug, if they are gonna try to fix it,...
Many rangers looking for this info to decide if its worth or not.
@Kainzo

PS: Really sorry about adding you to the thread Kain, I just really want to know if something will change because atm ranger is just not worth playing, 90% of the sever players use prot 4, it's a shame that the class loses so much from it.

Last edited:

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Soon™

Edit: As a Cleric I can walk forward into every arrow and face tank them all healing through it and kill a ranger. That is, if they do not use skills XD
Funny thing to think about a Ranger using envenom against a Prot 4 armor wearing player, is getting 33 percent of his bow damage from Envenom =D

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Soon™

Edit: As a Cleric I can walk forward into every arrow and face tank them all healing through it and kill a ranger. That is, if they do not use skills XD
Funny thing to think about a Ranger using envenom against a Prot 4 armor wearing player, is getting 33 percent of his bow damage from Envenom =D
It's possible to reduce the protection enchant mitigation - we want to. However, I'm not sure what it entails
@andrew2060 or @TheYeti / @Sleaker - may know more. We changed the Sharpness damage so im sure we can change Protection Enchants.

This issue has NOTHING to do with arrows - it has to do with the Protection IV enchants being far too overpowered.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
It's possible to reduce the protection enchant mitigation - we want to. However, I'm not sure what it entails
@andrew2060 or @TheYeti / @Sleaker - may know more. We changed the Sharpness damage so im sure we can change Protection Enchants.

This issue has NOTHING to do with arrows - it has to do with the Protection IV enchants being far too overpowered.
Pretty much this. Handling this kind of stuff was never my forte` either, so it's up to andrew to save you guys on this one.

We don't even touch protection in heroes right now, it just works as it does in vanilla. (Which is awful, of course.)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Pretty much this. Handling this kind of stuff was never my forte` either, so it's up to andrew to save you guys on this one.

We don't even touch protection in heroes right now, it just works as it does in vanilla. (Which is awful, of course.)
other than messing with minecraft internals - the only fix is to throw our own damage system - which is almost as bad.

We'll probably dig in NMS and rip it out or lower the effectiveness.

peterpunx

Legacy Supporter 6
well, the bug report was about the protection armor reducing too much the bow damage... i would like to look at the bow damage equation to try to help if its possible.

Repeat: protection armor reduction is different for bow damage, removing protection from enchants is only gonna make the problem worse

btw: ive applied to the balance team

Last edited:

kenster1092

Legacy Supporter 1
Now that Protection is removed, I certainly feel Enchanter is just a plain useless profession, its only use now is for Unbreaking and Efficiency/Sharpness tools, and Feather Falling and Respiration, other than that, no use...

I am most likely never returning to Ranger until Protection gets fixed or something...

P.S is Protection coming back in its fixed form? Or more than likely never coming back?

Halizu

ICE ICE ICE!
Is this still around? Sucks to be a Ranger.

PS. If no-one knew, Projectile Protection IV reduced the damage arrows do to something incredibly low too, like 15 HP a hit.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Looking at the numbers protection modifies the base damage of the bow before the draw multiplier is applied. So I'm thinking this isn't a bug more a miss understanding of the calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.