• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Bloodmage suggestion

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
This is a very simple suggestion, because bloodmage is lacking in it's 1v1 capabilities. It literally can't fend for itself very well against any class with mobility or ranged attacks and its outclassed by clerics and Druids in team fights due to its lackluster healing (which you'll get mostly from blood bond and nothing else, because one heals very little and the other costs 22% of your mana pool to cast.). Although bloodmage lacks support like cleric or druid, it does have a much stronger damage output, at the cost of significant amounts of mana. Like; the class burns out of mana VERY quickly, especially with blood bond. So here are my two suggestions.

First, the level 50 skill stealessence is not usually worth casting. First, it requires you to know exactly what buffs may be on an opponent, and whether those buffs are stealing. Second, the mana is just better spent elsewhere unless you can pinpoint someone who has one of the gold buffs, which 9/10 times, you will never know if someone has one. Instead, replace this skill with a skill that helps the class regain mana, possibly like replenish, or even something similar to dark ritual called transfusion where you exchange health for mana (which fits well with the concept of the class anyways)

Second, bloodmage gets overwhelmed very easily, can't sustain well on its own, and just doesn't do enough damage to really defend itself either. I think adding a root could be a possible fix for this. Thicken blood prevents an opponent from using stamina, but it's useless against most casters, and most warriors can handle wailing on you with left clicks instead of with strike/impale/bash, etc. If this skill was replaced with entangle, it would allow the bloodmage some breathing room, and allow it to be a bit more effective in a 1v1 situation where it may have to escape or land another blood union based skill. Entangle would be effective against all types of classes, instead of thicken blood, which would only be effective against rogues and warriors, pyromancers, and disciples. Most of these classes already can easily kill a bloodmage due to the skills that they already have, and since thicken blood only lasts 2 seconds, bloodmage won't be able to do much for itself. Maybe land a siphon blood, or get a pitifully small heal from infusion off before they're back to getting smacked/tossed/bashed all around getting the tar eat out of them.

These are just ideas to make bloodmage a bit stronger in solo play AND team fights.

--But alchemist, support classes are not meant for solo play!!--
My response:
Say that to the Druids, Clerics, Disciples, and Shamans all running around just fine in solo play.
--Alchemist, Bloodmage is stronger in teamfights, so making it stronger in solo will make it OP--
Response: There is a reason no one touches bloodmage with a twelve foot pole. At least anyone with common sense that is. Bloodmage is outclassed in every aspect by another class. Druid and Cleric will easily remain useful to a party a lot longer than a bloodmage will due to their heals and their mana. Bloodmage has very little heals, and the only major heal it has takes 22% of its mana to perform. Not to mention blood bond which will quickly take the bloodmage out of the fight after casting 6-7 skills. You can say that bloodmage has better damage, but you'd be wrong, yes, it deals damage better in short spans of time, I
But it barely has just enough mana to kill a low level beguiler on its own. Druid has innervate and a larger mana pool, so it will live longer and have more casts, and will eventually do more damage and actually kill his target. Cleric may not deal damage, but the heals that it does have easily outclass anything the bloodmage has access to.
--iAlchemist, bloodmage has one of the strongest instant heals in the game, blood ritual, why is this not OP enough?--
One thing defines my answer without description, but I'll provide one anyway: 22% of my mana.

Basically, by the time you get the blood union to perform the skill, you're already low on mana if not out. Casting this skill to give you Healy will only kill you in the end, and if you use it on an ally, sure you healed them, but you won't be doing any healing for a long but of time after that. Once you cast this skill, it's pretty much over for the bloodmage to do anything.

Thank you for reading, I understand if you disagree, but please only post well thought out arguments.

The mana regain skill concept:
Tranafuse: You pay 100 Hp to restore 14.7% of your mana per each increment of your blood Union, maxing out at a mana gain of 58.8% at blood union 4. Removes all blood union on use, CD 10s-12s

Possible concept for a balanced entangle
Blood freeze: Can only be cast with a blood Union of 2 or higher, root the target for 2 seconds. Causes a bleed after the root at a blood Union of 4

@Kainzo so you can look at this.

Written on mobile, so please ignore typos/grammar errors.

Last edited:

Malarb

ICE ICE ICE!
Blood freeze seems like a cool idea! I like that!

But you do know that Bloodmage already has a skill called Transfuse which does exactly what your first suggestion states. Kainzo already had that idea xD.

Bloodmage is a class with a steep learning curve. On the surface it does seem far outclassed by the other supports but thats because you haven't dug deep enough. Because it's harder to play people jump to the conclusion that the other supports are better beacuse they are easier to play and be good with. Bloodmage can be just as good if not better than other supports it just requires a bit more experience and knowledge. I am no where close to a good Bloodmage but I'm now starting to see the potential it has, potential for team fights and 1v1's. All of its skills have their uses and most of them have wierd synergies between them that you have to figure out.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
Quote "It doesn't do enough damage, so lets give it a root" Because that makes clear sense.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Quote "It doesn't do enough damage, so lets give it a root" Because that makes clear sense.
A root will help with landing damaging skills, and escaping.
Blood freeze seems like a cool idea! I like that!

But you do know that Bloodmage already has a skill called Transfuse which does exactly what your first suggestion states. Kainzo already had that idea xD.

Bloodmage is a class with a steep learning curve. On the surface it does seem far outclassed by the other supports but thats because you haven't dug deep enough. Because it's harder to play people jump to the conclusion that the other supports are better beacuse they are easier to play and be good with. Bloodmage can be just as good if not better than other supports it just requires a bit more experience and knowledge. I am no where close to a good Bloodmage but I'm now starting to see the potential it has, potential for team fights and 1v1's. All of its skills have their uses and most of them have wierd synergies between them that you have to figure out.
i totally missed the skill transfuse on the list of skills...it's like just little bit slipped in there on the page, haha. I still think blood freeze would be a cool skill concept. Thank you for all that advice

xMJay

Portal
I think Bloodmage is fine. I don't see the problem in being lackluster solo when the class is top tier in team fights. We won the last 5v5 tournament using two bloodmages. It's inability to duel most classes is a fair considering it has ridiculous dps, aoe heals, and the best buff in the game.

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I think Bloodmage is fine. I don't see the problem in being lackluster solo when the class is top tier in team fights. We won the last 5v5 tournament using two bloodmages. It's inability to duel most classes is a fair considering it has ridiculous dps, aoe heals, and the best buff in the game.
This.

For a BM just get a Bard. Manasong + Blood Bond = win.

MajDeath

Portal
I stopped reading at "lacking in its 1v1 capabilities" you're doing it wrong, 'nuff said.

seanman911

Gold
This is a very simple suggestion, because bloodmage is lacking in it's 1v1 capabilities. It literally can't fend for itself very well against any class with mobility or ranged attacks and its outclassed by clerics and Druids in team fights due to its lackluster healing (which you'll get mostly from blood bond and nothing else, because one heals very little and the other costs 22% of your mana pool to cast.). Although bloodmage lacks support like cleric or druid, it does have a much stronger damage output, at the cost of significant amounts of mana. Like; the class burns out of mana VERY quickly, especially with blood bond. So here are my two suggestions.

First, the level 50 skill stealessence is not usually worth casting. First, it requires you to know exactly what buffs may be on an opponent, and whether those buffs are stealing. Second, the mana is just better spent elsewhere unless you can pinpoint someone who has one of the gold buffs, which 9/10 times, you will never know if someone has one. Instead, replace this skill with a skill that helps the class regain mana, possibly like replenish, or even something similar to dark ritual called transfusion where you exchange health for mana (which fits well with the concept of the class anyways)

Second, bloodmage gets overwhelmed very easily, can't sustain well on its own, and just doesn't do enough damage to really defend itself either. I think adding a root could be a possible fix for this. Thicken blood prevents an opponent from using stamina, but it's useless against most casters, and most warriors can handle wailing on you with left clicks instead of with strike/impale/bash, etc. If this skill was replaced with entangle, it would allow the bloodmage some breathing room, and allow it to be a bit more effective in a 1v1 situation where it may have to escape or land another blood union based skill. Entangle would be effective against all types of classes, instead of thicken blood, which would only be effective against rogues and warriors, pyromancers, and disciples. Most of these classes already can easily kill a bloodmage due to the skills that they already have, and since thicken blood only lasts 2 seconds, bloodmage won't be able to do much for itself. Maybe land a siphon blood, or get a pitifully small heal from infusion off before they're back to getting smacked/tossed/bashed all around getting the tar eat out of them.

These are just ideas to make bloodmage a bit stronger in solo play AND team fights.

My response:
Say that to the Druids, Clerics, Disciples, and Shamans all running around just fine in solo play.
--Alchemist, Bloodmage is stronger in teamfights, so making it stronger in solo will make it OP--
Response: There is a reason no one touches bloodmage with a twelve foot pole. At least anyone with common sense that is. Bloodmage is outclassed in every aspect by another class. Druid and Cleric will easily remain useful to a party a lot longer than a bloodmage will due to their heals and their mana. Bloodmage has very little heals, and the only major heal it has takes 22% of its mana to perform. Not to mention blood bond which will quickly take the bloodmage out of the fight after casting 6-7 skills. You can say that bloodmage has better damage, but you'd be wrong, yes, it deals damage better in short spans of time, I
But it barely has just enough mana to kill a low level beguiler on its own. Druid has innervate and a larger mana pool, so it will live longer and have more casts, and will eventually do more damage and actually kill his target. Cleric may not deal damage, but the heals that it does have easily outclass anything the bloodmage has access to.
--iAlchemist, bloodmage has one of the strongest instant heals in the game, blood ritual, why is this not OP enough?--
One thing defines my answer without description, but I'll provide one anyway: 22% of my mana.

Basically, by the time you get the blood union to perform the skill, you're already low on mana if not out. Casting this skill to give you Healy will only kill you in the end, and if you use it on an ally, sure you healed them, but you won't be doing any healing for a long but of time after that. Once you cast this skill, it's pretty much over for the bloodmage to do anything.

Thank you for reading, I understand if you disagree, but please only post well thought out arguments.

Tranafuse: You pay 100 Hp to restore 14.7% of your mana per each increment of your blood Union, maxing out at a mana gain of 58.8% at blood union 4. Removes all blood union on use, CD 10s-12s

Blood freeze: Can only be cast with a blood Union of 2 or higher, root the target for 2 seconds. Causes a bleed after the root at a blood Union of 4

Alright, I pretty much disagree with everything here, and here's my reasoning behind it. Bloodmage is probably one of the most impactful classes in group fights, if not the most impactful. Having bloodbond up allows you to have enough mana to cast your skills, since you can convert health into mana, I agree that it slightly has mana problems, but if you are casting your skills with bloodbond up, you will regain health you can convert into mana. Bloodmage has a ton of aoe magic damage and healing with bloodbond and bloodboil.

The argument that other healer classes outclass it in solo pvp is also invalid. All healer classes are easily countered by rogues, disciple, and some warriors in a 1v1. Cleric is overpowered due to it having wrath, but that's another story. Druid needs a rework, it's not a "fun" class to play and it too kitey. A Bloodmage is so valuable in fights not only for its great magic damage and healing, but it also gives probably the most overpowered buff in the game - enlightenment. This makes any healer/caster so much better.

The argument that nobody "with common sense" goes near Bloodmage is also invalid. The past several tournaments winners and runners up have all had at least one Bloodmage on the team, for a good reason.

Overall, people not knowing how to play the class Shouldn't warrant such a big buff like this.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
This.

For a BM just get a Bard. Manasong + Blood Bond = win.
Blo
Alright, I pretty much disagree with everything here, and here's my reasoning behind it. Bloodmage is probably one of the most impactful classes in group fights, if not the most impactful. Having bloodbond up allows you to have enough mana to cast your skills, since you can convert health into mana, I agree that it slightly has mana problems, but if you are casting your skills with bloodbond up, you will regain health you can convert into mana. Bloodmage has a ton of aoe magic damage and healing with bloodbond and bloodboil.

The argument that other healer classes outclass it in solo pvp is also invalid. All healer classes are easily countered by rogues, disciple, and some warriors in a 1v1. Cleric is overpowered due to it having wrath, but that's another story. Druid needs a rework, it's not a "fun" class to play and it too kitey. A Bloodmage is so valuable in fights not only for its great magic damage and healing, but it also gives probably the most overpowered buff in the game - enlightenment. This makes any healer/caster so much better.

The argument that nobody "with common sense" goes near Bloodmage is also invalid. The past several tournaments winners and runners up have all had at least one Bloodmage on the team, for a good reason.

Overall, people not knowing how to play the class Shouldn't warrant such a big buff like this.
firsly I'm aware of how idiotic my post was now. I hadn't seen that transfuse was a skill to begin with, until just recently, and Malarb and I had a discussion in game about the class

Ultimately we came to the conclusion that making thicken blood a slow instead of what it is now would be fairly balanced.

RShooter2000

ICE ICE ICE!

My response:

Steal Essence is one of the best situational skills on the server. Also BM in 1 vs 1s either destroys or gets owned. You have to play smart. BM is very strong in team fights.

Thicken blood is an amazing skill, BM does not need an entangle, again you need to play smart, BM is not a wizard where you spam entangle and shit. You use thicken blood to either help get away, a slow, or as an interrupt to stamina skills.

You complaining about BM not being able to kill a beguiler is where you should take a better look at the class because BM beats beguiler, this is where steal essence is amazing, think about this, YOU CAN STEAL CLARITY.

Also comparing BM to Druid in teamfights is irrelevant because BM is so much better than Druid in team fights, you obviously don't know how the class works in team fights. Use blood bond and transfuse for very good sustain and damage.

Making a class op to let it beat other op classes is not balancing. Bloodmage is in a good spot right now i consider it one of the most balanced heroes on the server.

- 2 Time Bloodmage 5 vs 5 Tournament Champion