• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Blade by Blade

Mistyckle

Legacy Supporter 4
The title of this may be a little misleading. It's not what you might think, shiny swords, blade by blade, nope!

When I first moved to the city in which I live, a friend and I would jog down a particular route. We would pass by this one house every day. You could tell the old man who lived there was a bit eccentric, but that's most of this city anyway. He had a red door, very feng shui. And every morning, as we would pass, we would see him sitting in a lawn chair, clipping grass, blade by blade (well a few at a time). He would always wave to people who passed him by, and when he waved at us, I'd smile and wave back. I didn't understand exactly what he was doing. I thought, that must be a difficult and time consuming process. Why not pull out the lawnmower? But that was over five years ago, and I've experienced more in life and come to understand things about myself and the world around me.

After a month of this exchange everyday, we decided to stop and talk to him. I asked him why he sat out there every morning to clip his grass with scissors, only a few blades at a time. His reply, though I've forgotten exactly how he put it, went something like this:
He did it to take a break and reconnect with himself and everything around him. The slow process gave him time to stop and think, methodically. The care and attentiveness he put into his lawn gave him an appreciation for it and the little things in life.

I realized the care he put into his lawn was a reflection of the care and love he poured into his life. A pretty zen thing. Not getting into religion or ethics or life idealogies here, but the more I've gone through, I've come to appreciate the wisdom of that encounter. The simplicity and beauty of that man's morning time-out has become very important to me.

I say, I play Minecraft to chill. I do. It can be a nice time out, a space in which I let myself unwind. But the time, the persistence, the care in which I gather, farm, create, try to help or work, is a reflection of the time I take to think through things, to place the people and things in my life in my mind~ the attention to care. It's my time to take a simple game, see the beauty and creativity that can be done in it and appreciate that. In turn, it helps me see those little things in my life and appreciate them.

I started Minecraft when PVP wasn't so much a thing. The people I started playing it with were generally older professionals. We would build monstrous, beautiful builds, rely on teamwork, and make things that we could sit back and really appreciate. I'm not saying here at all that PVP has no place, it obviously does now. It's just not how I started, and I prefer the more chill aspect, not looking over my shoulder and jumping at every sound. xP Nor do I need more conflict, already feel the world has plenty of that to go around. But that's just my stance, and everyone is welcome to their own.

Not really sure what prompted me to write this~ maybe just found a connection from something years ago and this little game I now enjoy. Perhaps it's nostalgia or the need to reflect. Or perhaps the need to connect in a game that has changed fairly dramatically, where there is little left of what I once experienced.

Perhaps this is a bit sappy for some of you. But it's just who I am xP Get used to it yo!

Whether you PVP or PVE, may your days of MC be filled with the appreciation of the simplicity of the textures, the placing of a simple block, the slaying of your "enemy," or getting blown up by a silly creeper. :)

<3

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I don't know about everyone else but gaming in general to me atleast is a way of separating myself from the goings on around me in real life so that I'm able to just slow down and relax and clear my head. Be that blowing stuff up to release some anger or frustration, exploring the landscapes to see what beautiful or amazing thing is behind the next hill, just as you said placing blocks to create wondrous works of art(not that I'm much good at the last one :p) or even just having a little fun to pass the time. Gaming means many things to many people and I guess this is what it means to you. :)