• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Black Heart

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Deep in the dark woods of Valorium lives a young hermit who's name is completely unknown to these outside world. His name may be unknown, but his story is Valorium legend. I, a young hero, walked the path to the hermit's house so I too, could hear his story for myself. A story of sadness, magic, valor, and evil. I stepped up onto the front door of the hermit's home, and began to knock on the door. Before I was able to lift my hand, the door opened. A tall, bearded man opened the door. His height shocked me, as he was hunching over to stand in the door way, and his eyes were very unusual, they glowed a dark purple light.

"Yes, come in." He said.
"You were expecting me?"
"I heard you coming down the path, please, take a seat."

I took a seat in one of the few wooden chairs scattered about the living room, which seemed to be the only room in the house. He sat down in a chair across from me, scanning me. I shifted uneasily in the chair as I began to feel like I was uninvited, when finally the hermit spoke once more.

"You're here to hear my story, correct?"
I responded "Yes."
"Then, let's begin."

It all began a day before everything changed. My brother and I were playing around, oblivious to the events around us until it all surrounded us.

"My Brother and I had heard about a new danger, some sort of mage that fought with a horrific death magic. They called this magic Necromancy, and the new mage was one of the most powerful the world had seen yet. Of course, we were fairly young, I was 12, and he 9 years old. Unaware of the incoming dangers we snuck out into the main town. That was the same night he attacked. The necromancer of legend, Dyo, had begun his siege of death and decay on the town of "Athos." We heard as the cannons fired off, so we hid in an alley. We saw Athonian soldiers walk by, then the fighting began. I struggled to cover my younger brother's eyes so he wouldn't see it, but the sounds were enough. Dyo's forces began to confront the Athonian soldiers outside the alley. The Athonians were overpowering Dyo's soldiers until I saw a fallen soldier get back up. The fallen soldier began to attack the Athonians and they fell quickly. Dyo himself, cloaked in a black robe, walked into the pile of bodies of Athonians. He barked at his orders to the living and dead soldiers, when he stopped suddenly.

"I sense the living." said Dyo.
My brother shivered in fear, and I struggled to hold down panic as we slowly scooted further into the dark alley. Dyo began to slowly walk into the alley.
"I know you're there...I can sense it. The beating hearts." he taunted.
"Come out and make this easy. I'll make it quick."
My brother cried out, and I panicked, I readied a dagger hidden in my clothes.
"Those beating hearts, they must be stopped. I will end the pain, fear, and horror of this life. Come out now." he said, one last time.
He walked further into the alley, and I saw my chance. Dyo was caught off guard as I plunged the dagger deep into his neck. He stumbled over, like a drunken man, bleeding profusely from the wound. The dagger was still plunged into his neck, when he choked and sputtered reaching for the dagger. He collapsed onto the ground.
"Is he...?" I said.
Suddenly, his hand sprang up. He grasped the dagger with all his might, and eased it from his throat. Tossing the dagger beside him, he got up.
"Very close, young one. So very close." Dyo said.
I watched in awe and horror as the wound in his neck closed up.
"You see, why'd you have to go and do that? Now I have to make this painful." he spoke again.
I stepped back even further when two soldiers grabbed my arms, my brother was dragged out of the darkness, screaming and crying in pure terror.
"So, what must I do to make you pay, young one?"
I nervously moved, knowing this was my last moments. I glanced at my brother, quickly, but it was something I should not have done.
"Oh! Hahah! I know! Brotherly love, what a concept huh? I guess I'll have to take the youngest one first" He spoke, sadistically.
The guards began to drag my brother towards Dyo.
"NO! Take me first! Please!"
I begged to no avail. Dyo told the soldiers to let him go, and my brother fell to his knees weak with terror.
"Elijah! RUN!"
He didn't listen, and Dyo began to conjure a blue magical mist around Elijah, my brother. Dyo glanced at me wickedly, his eyes shone with a purple glow as he sadistically prepared his magic. Elijah looked at me with teary eyes as the blue mist became thicker. Suddenly, as if he was being controlled like a puppet, the blue mist lifted out of his body, out of his eyes, mouth, nose, and ears. He gave me one last begging look. He was begging me to save him. I began to feel a dangerous feeling rise up inside of me, rage. I used this, and I pulled free from the guards, kicking one of their kneecaps out in the process. I sprinted towards Elijah hoping I could stop it. I had to stop it. Dyo started placing the blue mist in a jar on a necklace. Elijah's eyes faded, they became black spheres, and he collapsed over. I made it to Elijah too late.
"Hahahahah, too bad you couldn't save him, huh?" he said.
"I'll leave you with this, useless body. Not fit for assimilation."
I cried, clutching my brother's body. Hoping for life to come back into him. Begging for life to come back into him. Then everything faded away and I was alone. In an area of black nothingness.
"You have a wish?"
A voice boomed all around me from the darkness.
"Bring back my brother!" I made my wish.
"He will never be the same, he will be MY envoy, boy." the voice said.
"I don't care! He'll be alive!" I responded.
"Fair enough."

I awoke back into the normal world, with a shock. I was still holding my brother's body, and Dyo was still walking away. Nothing had changed. I couldn't let Dyo get away though.

"Hey! Take me as well!" I shouted at him.
"I don't think I will. You'll live with this torture for the rest of your life. When I say, you have my permission to die." Dyo said.
Suddenly, a purple glowing light came from his eyelids, and then his eyes opened. They were dark purple, like something else was inside of him. He wasn't himself. He rose up from my arms, and spoke to Dyo with a loud and strange voice.

"Dyo."
Dyo turned to face my now living brother, looking shocked.
"This, This is very interesting." Dyo retorted
"You can't be allowed to live any longer, Dyo."
"Who thinks someone like YOU can kill ME?"

My brother raised his arms, and spread them apart. A large hole in the ground opened up, but in the bottom, there was no floor, only nothingness.

"How? How is this possible?" Dyo shouted, surprised.

I watched as the hole stopped at Dyo's feet. The look of shock was quickly hidden as he began to regain his cool attitude.
"So what, you can do a few tr---" He was cut off before he finished as a hand of pure darkness rose out of the ground, and grabbed him.
"NO! I CAN'T GO THERE!" He screamed, terrified.
"Your time is up, Dyo."
The hand dragged him into the hole, screaming as he clawed at the ledge. His eyes had shown pure terror as he finally pulled away from the ledge into the abyss. The ground closed up, and the undead soldiers collapsed, now dead, once more. One of the soldiers shouted "Finally! At rest!" and he fell, dead.

My brother was still standing next to the where the hole once was, but his eyes had returned to normal. He looked at me, with fear in his eyes.
"What...What am I?" he said.
"Elijah, you're alive...You're alive!" I said, happily.
"What am I...?" he said again.
I went to go hold him again, when he pushed me away.
"You can't be near me, I can't control it!" He cried.
"What are you saying? You killed him Elijah!, he can't hurt anyone, anymore."
"It's too much power for me...I have to go!"
He ran off down the town road through the ashes and the smoke, away from me.
"Elijah! Wait!!" I shouted.
He didn't wait.

22 Years Later-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dyo, was no longer a scourge of the world. Necromancy was now a part of the school of magic. Everything had been right, except that Elijah was no where to be found. I assumed long ago he vanished some where, hopefully he's living happily. At least he is alive. But something always nagged at me about that day. Before Dyo's death, Elijah's eyes were the same as his. They shared the same power of sorts.

In the past 22 years, I too had studied in necromancy. I wanted to gain an understanding about the magic so I could use it to protect people instead of ravage them. Necromancy was a magic what was greatly protested at that time, so I had to keep it out of public knowledge.

Meanwhile a new villain had emerged. Ravaging the world around him, taking cities for his own. This villain had a thirst for power like none other, and he fought with a strange magic that would be imbued on his weapon. He referred to these as runes. They called him "The Black Heart" because his greed had blackened his heart beyond recognition. He had a section of his chest exposed, showing his ribs, and his still-beating heart. No one had seen his face, but some said he was rather short. He waged war on almost every town nearby and had gained victory over every single one. And his armies were headed towards Athos.

As the soldiers prepared to defend the town, I prepared myself to fight this evil with everything I had. I strapped the dagger I stabbed Dyo with into my belt. I climbed the stairs to the wall's rim. A floating airship was traveling quickly towards us, so I used the telescope. Through the telescope, I could see "The Black Heart" standing with his cloak of darkness, his purple mask, and his sickly beating heart. The airship neared the walls, and the soldiers readied the cannons. The first round of cannon fire began, but to many of the soldier's dismay, all of the cannonballs bounced off harmlessly. They readied a second round of cannonballs, but before they could the airship soared over the wall and into the town, stopping for nothing.

I watched as the airship landed in the courtyard of the council building, and "The Black Heart" emerged from it, walking into the building. Soldiers poured out of the ship wearing a similar cloaks and helmets, and wielding the new magic.

"We have to get to the council building!" I shouted to the nearby soldiers.

I ran down the steps of the wall, but I was too late, soldiers filled the street. I saw an innocent walk into the fray, and I charged in to protect them.

My magical knowledge allowed me to fight as each soldier came after me. Meanwhile the conflict between the two forces continued on. I charged further into the fray to the protect the innocent person when something strange happened. A cloaked black heart soldier grabbed the hand of the innocent, and ran out of the fight. They were protecting the people...but why?

I unleashed my full magical might at the groups of enemy soldiers as I charged through to the council building. Fueled by adrenaline and rage, I shifted back and forth from that fateful day, during the battle of Athos 22 years back. My rage grew stronger as I thought of Elijah, and I powered through the soldiers. Finally, I had arrived in the council building. The soldiers from the ship were preoccupied with fighting the Athonian military, so I walked into the council building.

"So, do you really think this corruption will be acceptable?" I heard a voice say. It was almost child-like. But the tone was also something other worldly.
"P-p-p-please don't kill us!" I heard another voice beg.
"The corrupt have to fall. Sadly, the penalty is death."

I turned the corner to see all the council members and Black Heart talking.

"Hey." I said.
"Ah, you finally arrived! Excellent, everything is going to according to plan." said Black Heart.
He turned to face me, and I finally saw the repulsive black beating heart for which he was named.
"What do you mean?" I asked, stalling.
"You see, I have these council members trapped here. That's all you see, is this injustice. But do you see the whole picture?"
"I don't need to, to see who you are, and the greed that control you?" I said back.
"Please! Stop him" shouted a council member.
"Excuse me, we're talking. Please do not speak." said Black Heart.
The council member tried to speak again, but he was unable to say any words, or utter any sounds. Horrified, he grabbed at his throat trying to scream.
"Anyways, before I was cut off. Ah, Greed. Such an interesting concept. Is wanting power truly greed?" He asked me.
"Yes, power should only be held in small amounts. No man should control all the power." I said back.
He turned his back to me and laughed. He took off his helmet, his face seemed to shock many of the council members.
"Interesting statement. But what if one man taking the power did more good than the evils he did to commit them?" He asked.
I knew this was my chance. I readied by dagger again, like that day 22 years ago.
"Evil weights more then good." I said back.
"This, is true. But the amount of good that I will make out weighs the evil by far. So what if a few lives are lost in the midst." He responded.
He began to turn around, and as he was turning around, I plunged the dagger into his sickly black heart. I looked into his eyes and knew who they belonged to. But he hadn't changed...It wasn't possible...was it? He was still a kid...Elijah.
"Ah, brother. You ended it."
"Eli-Elijah...?"
"*cough* Yes...You did what I thought you would."
"You wanted me to stab you!?"
"I wanted you to take my curse..." said Elijah
"What curse?!"
"I don't have long, Brother...I give you the gift of the void..."
I saw a purple magic begin to float away from my still young brother's body and the magic surrounded me. If moved into my skin, became part of me, and I was taken to the very place of nothingness where I was years ago.
"I see it has all come full circle" said the same voice.
"What is this?!" I asked, still shocked.
"This is the void, and you are my envoy now." It said back.
"Envoy...?"
"From this point on, you will be eternal until the day you transfer this gift. You may do what you wish with this gift, as long as you do my will from time to time." It said again.
Another voice broke into the nothingness, as The Black Heart-No-Elijah emerged from the darkness.
"Don't do what he says. You have to retain you humanity. You can't become me."
"Elijah, you dare defy me? You ungrateful creature!" It bellowed angrily.
"You can take the curse, but don't let it control you, brother." Elijah said.
"Elijah, that is ENOUGH" The voice surrounded me now, I felt it rattle in my bones.
"Brother, keep yourself, protect people. Don't do his will. You must go now!"
I began to fade from the void, as the voice shouted Elijah's name angrily.

I awoke back in the real world, holding Elijah's still young body in my arms. Wise beyond his years...This time I didn't cry for him. He had achieved his wish, a death. Now I held this curse of immortality.

Power isn't evil in it's own way. But it corrupts.

I vowed to hold the world accountable, but to remain human."

BACK IN THE HUT.

"This, is my story." the hermit said.

I sat, shocked by the story. He got up from his chair and held the door for me.

"Thank you for listening."
"Wait." I said
"You're immortal?" I asked.
"Not anymore". He responded.

"Now off with you, you need to get home before the woods get any darker."
"Ok, I'll be going." I said back.

Something about his demeanor had changed, he smiled for the first time since I had visited. I stepped out the front door of the small shack, and walked in the woods.

Somehow, I couldn't shake the feeling that everything had changed in me.

---The End---For now...

This was a sort of non-canon lore story that talked about the origins of Necromancy and Runeblade magic. I would appreciate any feedback, tell me if you liked it! I might write more sometime soon! Have a good day!

Last edited: