• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Biodome PVP server

milkmeister

Legacy Supporter 6
Over the past months I became very unhappy with the direction that HC was moving in, and I longed for a complete and fleshed out PVP experience, without all of the rules and restrictions that have been placed on the server. I really enjoyed the skills that the server provided, and thought that they could be applied to a unique experience similar to the chaos of warshard, but with a lot more complexity.

I propose a separate pvp server. The idea is fairly simple although it definitely needs some polishing. A map is created featuring giant domes, each containing one minecraft biome, and a specific set of limited resources. Each dome has different resources, and they are separated by a large plain of barren stone. When a player joins a server, they choose a biome to join. A system similar to the factions plugin could be used for this.

The goal is simple. Every biome must try to conquer the other biomes. Im not a plugin expert, so i don't know how exactly the system could work, but it could be kill based. For example, if the the jungle launches an attack on the snow biome, they run at the snow biome, then they try to get inside the gates. Once inside the enemy biome, the fighting begins. While fighting may take place within a 50 block radius around each biome, only kills that take place in the biome matter. So the fighting begins, and the jungle biome kills 75 percent of the population of the snow biome, while only 10% of the population of the jungle biome get killed, then the jungle biome has conquered the snow biome. Conquered peoples may either join their conquerer, or join another biome. Every 24 hours or so, the percentages of deaths can be reset, so if the 75% to 10% percent number or whatever it may be (it will be subject to change for balancing) isn't reached in 24 hours, it must be attempted again the next day. Inversely, if half the invading populating is killed, while 10 percent of the defending population is killed, than the invading biome must pay a set tribute to the defending biome, and may not attack again for a set amount of time.

The stone wasteland between the biomes could be no pvp, with pvp being enabled in the biomes, and in a 50 block radius around each biome. The wasteland is where trades between biomes could be conducted. If the plains biome lacks wood, they could trade with the temperate biome, or the jungle biome, in exchange for something only the plain biome gets, like diamond. One might think that that is a resource to powerful for only one biome to have, but if they lack wood, then they can't make diamond tools, and then wood becomes as valuable to them as diamond is to another biome. This adds a level of complexity to the pvp system. One biome might be reluctant to trade their resource if they think it will be used against them in battle. Each biome's specific resource(s) will be rejuvenated once every month.

I always think that biome specific skills would also be interesting. When one joins a biome, they get specific skills. These skills work anywhere, but give the user a "home court advantage" because it can be used effectively in their biome, while not being as useful in other biomes. There is no leveling up like in the main server though. Some examples would be:
•Jungle- long jump (for jumping across the canopy)
•Plain - quick run
•Lava - lava immunity
•Water - water breathing
•Mushroom - i really don't know yet

Biome possibilities:
•Plains
•Temperate
•Pine forest
•Snow
•Ice
•Lava
•Jungle
•Sky (floating platforms)
•Underwater
•Desert
•Cave?
•Mushroom

Rules of the Server:
1. Stealing and griefing are ok during battle, however griefing your own biome is prohibited, as well as griefing another biome without the intention of fighting. Stealing is ok whenever.

2. No scamming during wasteland trades.

3. If a biome conquers all of the other biomes, the map is reset just the way it was, and everybody gets to choose a new biome.

4. Double agents or whatever they are called is ok, but if they are found out, they must immediately go back to the biome they were working for.

Ok so that's pretty much it. Leave suggestions and tell me what you guys think. With Disposable Heroes' plugins, i think it could be done, and it would be a lot of fun.

milkmeister

Legacy Supporter 6
TL;DR
People join biomes that are contained in spheres, and then they fight each other to conquer all of the other biomes.

Watter_Bottle

Legacy Supporter 4
I think a server similar to the movie district 12 would be nice.

When you join you are subject to join one of the 12 districts,you are randomly appointed to one, you get certain benefits in each, then one time every few days there's a battle between each district (two players from each) and the winning district gets (x) amount of (item) for free.

Gurgamesh

Legacy Supporter 4
It sounds like an idea which would be better for events, I can't picture a game like this lasting more than a few hours.
Edit: This also seems as if it would be really complicated to create, I highly doubt the coders for the server have enough time to create a system which would allow this, since I'm pretty sure no other plugin are flexible enough to support something like this.

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
What about separate nations? Like water, fire, and leave/green? Then they build a giant city which corresponds to their nation. There's already a server kinda like this.

I think a server similar to the movie district 12 would be nice.

When you join you are subject to join one of the 12 districts,you are randomly appointed to one, you get certain benefits in each, then one time every few days there's a battle between each district (two players from each) and the winning district gets (x) amount of (item) for free.
the hunger games?

Gurgamesh

Legacy Supporter 4
You dont like the rules / restrictions - yet you want even more pvp complexity ?

Not sure I understand.
I think it's not so much about changing the rules for him as it is adding something different to the server, something for the players who are bored and want something new and unique. With that said, I do think a task like this would involve a lot of coding which the server doesn't need to be spending time on.

milkmeister

Legacy Supporter 6
@Kainzo what I am saying is that I feel that since there is so much else to do and focus on in herocraft, and regioned towns for everyone to hide in that PVP has largely fallen by the wayside. Tournaments and warshard may offer pvp experiences, but it doesn't make up for the noticeable lack of pvp in the wild, where it is very hard to find somebody to fight. Having a separate server that uses some of the plugins from herocraft, but focuses on pvp would largely mend this issue. What I meant by pvp complexity wasn't that there would be rules and things to make pvp harder to do, or more tedious, but that there are more elements at stake than leveling up or taking someone's items when you kill them.

milkmeister

Legacy Supporter 6
Well as far as the map and coding concerns, I think that for the most part, the skills that would be used are mostly already in existence, they just need to be tweaked to remove mana costs and time restrictions. Jump, water breathing, and lava immunity are all already possible, so coding new skills wouldn't be necessary for the most part. As far as the map, I remember seeing a mod by Risugami that makes maps spheres containing biomes. Each sphere is separated by a wooden bridge. All that would have to be done is to tweak the biome size, distance from one another, and just replace the wood bridges with a stone field; the map doesn't have to be particularly large. For joining a biome, you could use the hero select system, and then you walk through a portal that goes to your biome. There are only two things i see in this that could be difficult: controlling which resources spawn where, and keeping track of how many people of each biome have been killed during a battle. However, since keeping track of who has been killed on a server is possible, the only other things that would be needed is something that can tell if the person was killed inside their own biome or in another biome, and then calculate the percentages of population killed properly.

Watter_Bottle

Legacy Supporter 4
HAHA Ohh god. You're right.. I said district 12 when it was Hunger Games.. the hell is wrong with me hahaha

Bingy1218

Legacy Supporter 4
I feel as this system seems far to complicated. To me i see it as the worldvworldvworld system in GW2 where they cap masses of land etc and get buffs and what not from it.
I like the idea of a separate server for pvp But i feel with HC's current playerbase this would divide things to much.
If anything to include a lil more PVP and things I still suggest an arena like system where players who are max level will queue for 2s and 3s and then the teams will battle out witha set amount of equipment.

milkmeister

Legacy Supporter 6
I don't like arena's because it takes the chaotic and wild aspect of pvp in the wild. I used to play on an anything goes chaos server, and you never knew what would happen at any given time. All i want is an interesting and new way to have such an experience.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
There are plenty of ways of boosting the amount of PvP without having to go to the extremes of adding an additional server to HC. Things which bring people together, in my opinion, would boost PvP activity.

milkmeister

Legacy Supporter 6
Just because there are ways of increasing the amount of pvp on the server doesn't mean that it wouldn't be fun to have a pvp server