• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Balance Team

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Balance Team is underutilized by Upper Staff, so this post is to try and get it utilized by the Community instead.
Balance Team should be recognized for what it is:

A commitment to be un-biased and to work to the best of your ability to balance existing mechanics in the Balance Team Forums.
A commitment to drop what you are doing on the RPG server (within a short time period like 15 minutes maximum) and be available on the Test Server to help test for Upper Staff.

Beyond that, the Balance Team does not do anything. We aren't coders, we have little more ability to get Upper Staff's attention than the average player. We are not directly responsible for Balancing.

So please, @Community:
  • Start Tagging the Balance Team in your thought-out and useful suggestions regarding Balance. Do not waste our time (with trolling and bias) and we will help your suggestions become reality!
  • If you need help doing some research for your suggestions on Test Server, politely ask a Balance Team member when they can arrange to be on to help.
  • Apply for Balance Team if you can be professional and help. Understand that the commitment to be Unbiased and Helpful is above all else.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Apply for Balance Team if you can be professional and help. Understand that the commitment to be Unbiased and Helpful is above all else.
What would be the requirements? I've considered re-apply and haven been trying to give input to the recent suggestions, but is Balance Team a group that works on community suggestions and gives them to Upper Staff or do they just talk amongst themselves and when upper staff see something they like they take it into account? Or do they simply work with what Upper Staff gives them test?

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
What would be the requirements? I've considered re-apply and haven been trying to give input to the recent suggestions, but is Balance Team a group that works on community suggestions and gives them to Upper Staff or do they just talk amongst themselves and when upper staff see something they like they take it into account? Or do they simply work with what Upper Staff gives them test?
Once you are on balance team your level of impact is up to you. If you want to get Upper Staff to patch things more often you have to provide them with solid logic and Need for the changes.
The key thing to remember as far as impact goes is that Balance only deals with existing mechanics, not new ones.
An important part of Balance is being the bridge between Suggestions and Upper Staff, filtering out the nonsense and only communicating the valid community points of view. The unbiased part is, IMO, the toughest hurdle to convince Kainzo of when you wish to join balance. You really have to care more about the server than about your individual performance.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I think overall, the balance team has some good ideas that should get some more recognition from upper staff. I don't know how the whole system works but I've seen some great suggestions that could really benefit the community

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I think overall, the balance team has some good ideas that should get some more recognition from upper staff. I don't know how the whole system works but I've seen some great suggestions that could really benefit the community
Except, Upper Staff recognizes and uses the Ideas from Balance and Suggestions all the time. Thats not what I meant by underutilized, they utilize our ideas but we do not have much of an active role.

Here's a quick idea what I was hoping for.

Weekly Balance Tax: One thing I would like to see is every Saturday (or just every week), every single member of Balance Team has to test/do something. I don't care what it is, get on Test solo or in groups or even with regular players (who maybe want to join Balance) to help you. Limit your testing to useful things (is LunarLance working as intended?) and not useless things ("I beat this class or team really hard in these 3 fights we did", we get those reports from Live). Making a decent thread on Balance or Suggestions or Bug Reporting forums would also count for your weekly Balance Tax.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
The problem is that everyone is a little biased :p
Party size is way too big, and allowing towns to not damage each other is the biggest balancing mistake ever made.

Healers are stupid.

Actually, all support is overpowered and stupid.

Pyro or Runeblade are beautiful masterpieces and if anyone touches either I'll cut them. >: )

Last edited:

Glacial_Reign

Portal
Well @Kainzo needs to let the balance team do their work while Kainzo worries about the server problems. This is why there is a balance team. Someone should be head of balance team and if everyone agrees to the balance changes then the head of the balance team needs to implement it.

We hardly have balance changes and the overpowered classes just stay overpowered for 2-3 months without any changes. Sure attributes ruined alot of balancing but things need to be fixed.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
1. Party size is way too big,
2. allowing towns to not damage each other is the biggest balancing mistake ever made.

3. Healers are stupid.
Actually, all support is overpowered and stupid.

4. Pyro or Runeblade are beautiful masterpieces and if anyone touches either I'll cut them. >: )
1. Party size is only too big or too small based on the pvp playerbase. If you disagree with <--- then please elaborate.

2. So far no single town has been strong enough to abuse this by having more than 10 from that single town. I agree that needs a change before someone on AD/Abyss gets wise and puts all the PvPers into one town.

3. The reason why healers (Cleric, possibly Druid) are stupidly overpowered with Heals, for so long, is because that playstyle is not really rewarded unless you are healing someone who is doing Damage, and that takes a reliable partner to "have fun" as compared to other classes. What would you suggest we do with Healers to make them more appealing? Teach people not to let Disciples kite? Add damage to some healers and lower heals? We're open to good ideas.

4. No one complains about them. They seem to be pretty solid faceroll classes. Pyro takes more skill than Runeblade, imo.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Well @Kainzo needs to let the balance team do their work while Kainzo worries about the server problems. This is why there is a balance team. Someone should be head of balance team and if everyone agrees to the balance changes then the head of the balance team needs to implement it.
Then we need an Admin to be head of Balance, no way Kainzo lets anyone implement on live below that rank.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
1. Party size is only too big or too small based on the pvp playerbase. If you disagree with <--- then please elaborate.

2. So far no single town has been strong enough to abuse this by having more than 10 from that single town. I agree that needs a change before someone on AD/Abyss gets wise and puts all the PvPers into one town.

3. The reason why healers (Cleric, possibly Druid) are stupidly overpowered with Heals, for so long, is because that playstyle is not really rewarded unless you are healing someone who is doing Damage, and that takes a reliable partner to "have fun" as compared to other classes. What would you suggest we do with Healers to make them more appealing? Teach people not to let Disciples kite? Add damage to some healers and lower heals? We're open to good ideas.

4. No one complains about them. They seem to be pretty solid faceroll classes. Pyro takes more skill than Runeblade, imo.
I'm mostly trolling with my post, Dsaw. In case that wasn't clear.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Then we need an Admin to be head of Balance, no way Kainzo lets anyone implement on live below that rank.
But alas, not all admins code, and not all changes are just config files.
Also, admin or not, if Kain decides he doesn't like something he hears of he'll just start ripping things.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
Another note:

A lot of classes don't actually become fixed with a few number changes, normally a new mechanic or skill/code change is due but a lot of the time there is no one to do it

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Another note:

A lot of classes don't actually become fixed with a few number changes, normally a new mechanic or skill/code change is due but a lot of the time there is no one to do it
I'd say bug me to see if I'd do it, but there's still nobody to put it ON the servers.

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
@Dsawemd

Since it seems you are taking suggestions/complaints, I have one thing to say. Ranger isn't powerful enough! They're supposed to be the Masters of the Bow and Axe, right? I mean, I think the axe damage is fine, but if you're the "master of the bow", I think it should do enough damage to match a Warrior. I see one warrior charging after me. Even if I shoot him, I'm dead before he's even down half health.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
@Dsawemd

Ranger isn't powerful enough!
PM me I will talk to you about how to kill a warrior. If they have prot armor and you do not, run. If you want to win at pvp: carry potions, and reagents, and boats, and blocks(to climb), and if you need them diamonds and emeralds to restore resources.
Some match-ups are hard as a Ranger. Good luck killing a good paladin or a good cleric, it's impossible by yourself. Try fighting people who you know have 50 armor or so, and see how your DPS increases.