• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Balance Team Head

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Balance is the most important part of an RPG server which has a large amount of player vs player action and a class system. If the classes are unbalanced, then all player vs player action is out of sync and ridden with overpowered classes which ruin the experience completely. This will cause players to not want to play, and then once again we will have half the players we do currently. We need another head of the balance team, someone who is devoted to testing the classes, finding bugs/unbalanced areas and fixing them. Someone who can make live changes when he wants under the discretion of Kainzo, so that when a problem is afoot it can be fixed as fast as possible.

Our current balance team makes ton's of great suggestions, but most of them ever get put out because they have no head to report to other than Kainzo, and Kainzo has millons of other things to get done on the server at once, so it's not always easy for him to listen to a ton of suggestions/fixes. We need a dedicated balance lead. With all the upcoming features coming to Herocraft, I would hate to have it all put to waste over a loss of player vs player combat. For the Balance Team lead we need someone who can create/fix Heroes skills. This person needs to know the mechanics of all the classes, put some time into testing them, and have some flexibility with working with kainzo's directions.

I think this is a really important matter that needs some attention now.

@Kainzo @Balance Team @TrueCorruptor @NuclearCouch @PewPewPewLasers @whiteninja1970

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
Completely Agree. I believe someone like this mixed with the amazing new things Kainzo is bring in could bring the server to a new prime.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
I do not know why I was tagged, but.. I do not think the Balance Lead has to have Java experience or someone who knows how to code Heroes skills.

Someone can be really good at making skills, but not necessarily ideal in balancing classes to the right direction. It should be obviously someone who has experience and has a good grip with all the classes and know how to edit the config.

Kainzo just needs to set up a different server separate from the main server's File Access so that the Balance Lead can upload files, while Kainzo does not have to worry about him having access to the main File Access. Or at least that is how I think servers worked.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I do not know why I was tagged, but.. I do not think the Balance Lead has to have Java experience or someone who knows how to code Heroes skills.

Someone can be really good at making skills, but not necessarily ideal in balancing classes to the right direction. It should be obviously someone who has experience and has a good grip with all the classes and know how to edit the config.

Kainzo just needs to set up a different server separate from the main server's File Access so that the Balance Lead can upload files, while Kainzo does not have to worry about him having access to the main File Access. Or at least that is how I think servers worked.
I tagged you because you know what you're doing

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator

Well the said "Separate Server" is the git repo, this is where we upload our finished code, but the issue is Kainzo still has to take the code we give him which is in .java form and compile it. Then it can be pushed to the server. This is still a long process, especially if we give Kainzo a fuckton of skills to push to the server at once which is why this Balance Lead would need a more direct upload route.

This Balance Lead needs to be able to easily make changes to the .config files with ease as well obviously. It would be stupid to have to ask Kainzo everytime for the version of the config file currently running on the server, and then change like one number and send it back. Just a waste of time. The balance guy needs to have full control of his live classes and such.

Last edited:

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6

Depending on how the skills coded.

A heroes team head should have some sort of java experience.

I know firsthand from coding skills not all the changes people want are supported and would need to be coded in.

Having the head of balance would be better then bugging one of the devs.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
One person can't do it all. Delf got a lot of things done, but overall balance was still a mess. I say have a dedicated coder at the top of balance team along with someone else who knows the classes very well.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Although I am not on the team, my app is up and I feel I could be of great use to the Balance Team. We need the right people balancing the right classes. For example, right now I feel like I understand the ins and outs of beguiler more than anyone else this map.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Sharing that kind of power with the community, even with a single trusted veteran player?

I'll believe it when I see it...

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
Sharing that kind of power with the community, even with a single trusted veteran player?

I'll believe it when I see it...
Heh.. and the worst part is, it really is needed. Kainzo can't focus on all the class work and everything else he has going on at the same time.

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
Depending on how the skills coded.

A heroes team head should have some sort of java experience.

I know firsthand from coding skills not all the changes people want are supported and would need to be coded in.

Having the head of balance would be better then bugging one of the devs.
nuclearcouch and werwew19 for balance duo leads 2015

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
The way the heroes plugin works you really wouldn't need java experience to be the "Balance Lead" . Coding skills requires java knowledge, putting them into the server not so much.
The configs themselves are simple to edit on programs like notepad++

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
My view on balance is that there isn't enough people who know ALL the classes, and atm it seems like a lot of people on balance only have experience with certain classes. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but i think there should be more people who understand all the classes and how they are played.

@TrueCorruptor is probably one of the best balance members imo, i would like to see someone like @PewPewPewLasers get balance because he has an overall good understanding of all the classes.

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
The way the heroes plugin works you really wouldn't need java experience to be the "Balance Lead" . Coding skills requires java knowledge, putting them into the server not so much.
The configs themselves are simple to edit on programs like notepad++
We know this and already talked about the same thing above, but we made the statement that both Werwew and I know from firsthand experience that many things are always breaking, and many things have to be hardcoded into the skill for it to be how it is wanted to be. If this balance lead had to constantly be reporting to one of us to change one small thing in the close it would be ridiculous. Another thing about him not knowing java is he doesn't know the limits of the heroes plugin and what can be coded.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Historically, there is one vision for Herocraft that has stayed constant - that is my vision. I am the creative director for this server and the reason I do this isn't for money or glory, it's because I like to see things I dream up / create placed into a game.

That being said, balancing isn't creating fresh and new ideas, balancing is reusing, mixing and adapting the current ideas. There has to be a filter. Otherwise we'd have 100+ classes and 1000+ skills by now.

What we need are code updates, bug fixes and all that. It's hard to continually update 300+ skills and if its mismanaged you can really mess the server up.

As for balance, we need to take it in stages and have a consistent system spread across all classes, no matter their particular role.
  1. Uniformity in the amount of skills.
  2. Uniformity in cool-down tiers
  3. "Level" of skills, such as ultimate, bread&butter etc.
With the back to the basics patch - a lot of things are still up in the air because Attribute gear is right around the corner. This means we will need to re-balance on top of the attribute (100) system.