• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion armor and weapons

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I think its for the best to bring back the ability to keep held item and armor on death. If it is about rewarding pvp wins, i argue sieging/raiding do that job already. If its about encouraging pvp, i argue that it does not encourage the person/persons dying. If anything keeping that stuff means the person killed will likely come back to fight to get their stuff (increasing pvp). As far as pve goes, losing gear on death sucks and can put a big gap in the time spent leveling. You may have to go mining again to get that armor and weapon you need to fight the mobs (#thinkofthenewplayers). Anyway thats it, i think the old system for dropped gear was better.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
I understand what you mean, but I also like the excitement of possibly losing my gear.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Well for the good/confident player this is a bonus, as the bad/less confident player will likely not wear the good gear because they will lose it. Having gear stay with you helps level the playing field. If gy rushing is the issue place a slowness debuff for a few minutes after death. Which would put you at a disadvantage for the duration.

Edit: let me give you my perspective. I am not a good pvper. I chose to play disciple when i found out everything dropped on death. I would love to play a warrior class (and subsequently lose with it) but i cant justify losing everything when i die, because of this i will probably lose intetest faster, and i dont want that. I dunno maybe its just me.

Last edited:

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
Well for the good/confident player this is a bonus, as the bad/less confident player will likely not wear the good gear because the will lose it. Having gear stay with you helps level the playing field. If gy rushing is the issue place a slowness debuff for a few minutes after death. Which would put you at a disadvantage for the duration.

Edit: let me give you my perspective. I am not a good pvper. I chose to play disciple when i found out everything dropped on death. I would love to play a warrior class (and subsequently lose with it) but i cant justify losing everything when i die. I dunno maybe its just me.
No I agree with you. It may be fun to have the adrenaline run through your veins a bit more with this risk but frankly it's no good for anyone that is new or for people like me that gain a sort of attachment to their stuff. Even if I lose like 10 redstone, some my argue that it has very little value but in my head, I feel a part of me leaving my soul. I dunno just my hoarding sense talking I guess

Well for the good/confident player this is a bonus, as the bad/less confident player will likely not wear the good gear because they will lose it. Having gear stay with you helps level the playing field. If gy rushing is the issue place a slowness debuff for a few minutes after death. Which would put you at a disadvantage for the duration.

Edit: let me give you my perspective. I am not a good pvper. I chose to play disciple when i found out everything dropped on death. I would love to play a warrior class (and subsequently lose with it) but i cant justify losing everything when i die, because of this i will probably lose intetest faster, and i dont want that. I dunno maybe its just me.
I agree with everything except the slowness debuff. Personally I would prefer a small weakness debuff for about a 5-10 minute duration which stacks with repeated death as well as a small durability loss on your armor and weapon which will, with repeated death, lower it to a minimum of 1 use.

To counteract this and make the stronger PvPers feel rewarded maybe decrease the amount of time until the cenotaph breaks so they do not need to camp the chest as long. Honestly if the player does not have the chest within 5 minutes it is doubtful they will ever get it, but maybe only a 7.5 min cenotaph. Or possibly increase the drop rate of player heads so at the very least they get to have a trophy.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
Here's what happens. People keep armor/weapons on deaths ----> less work for blacksmith ----> less use for professions/mining -----> game gets boring.

Here's what happens. People keep armor/weapons on deaths ----> less work for blacksmith ----> less use for professions/mining -----> game gets boring.
This basically sounds like you disagree with this suggestion because you will get less money, despite it helping hundreds of new players.

Trust me, you will still have plenty of business as players join the server and when others need repairs.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
This basically sounds like you disagree with this suggestion because you will get less money, despite it helping hundreds of new players.

Trust me, you will still have plenty of business as players join the server and when others need repairs.
It can be even better though. I don't care about the money personally, I have experienced both systems of item dropping and keeping my items made me lose motivation to play other than PvP, which I have never had full interest in. Last time we kept items all anyone wanted to do was PvP and the only people left on the server were 2 groups of PvP players.

It can be even better though. I don't care about the money personally, I have experienced both systems of item dropping and keeping my items made me lose motivation to play other than PvP, which I have never had full interest in. Last time we kept items all anyone wanted to do was PvP and the only people left on the server were 2 groups of PvP players.
Yes, but that is the best system! Two enemy alliances encompassing a large portion of the server is a sign of a strong community. I have previously played on servers like that and it is one of my favorite experiences in MC.

And since this is now essentially a full Hardcore PvP server your arguement of "People PvPed too much" is invalid. We should be doing everything possible to encourage PvP and rivalries.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Yes, but that is the best system! Two enemy alliances encompassing a large portion of the server is a sign of a strong community. I have previously played on servers like that and it is one of my favorite experiences in MC.

And since this is now essentially a full Hardcore PvP server your arguement of "People PvPed too much" is invalid. We should be doing everything possible to encourage PvP and rivalries.
It wasn't as good as you think.
They were the only groups left. Sure it was a large % of the server, but it wasn't a large sample size. Few remained who weren't in those groups or killed by them.

It wasn't as good as you think.
They were the only groups left. Sure it was a large % of the server, but it wasn't a large sample size. Few remained who weren't in those groups or killed by them.
Yes, there is always that risk, and there is little room for new players to join. I suppose you are right with that. The only way to prevent that would be to recreate the PvE continent, but that is going backwards. Maybe if there was a system in nations that gives tax cuts to towns involved to promote larger sizes and assimilation of smaller upstart towns.

But we are starting to get off-topic of the original purpose of this thread.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I was around for that, and i dont think that items dropping on death was the cause. Those people no lifed it mastered tons of classes and profs got bored and began to do nothing but raid. Its the same cycle each map. I would be up for armor and weapons losing half durability on death, that way after death 2 you have no more armor. This wouldnt hurt professions at all.

I was around for that, and i dont think that items dropping on death was the cause. Those people no lifed it mastered tons of classes and profs got bored and began to do nothing but raid. Its the same cycle each map. I would be up for armor and weapons losing half durability on death, that way after death 2 you have no more armor. This wouldnt hurt professions at all.
I think losing half durability might be a bit harsh. Wouldn't want people constantly running to their town's blacksmith to get repairs. It would really just turn into an inconvenience. Maybe closer to 25-33% range just for the system to be a bit more forgiving. If it were the durability loss alone I would agree with you, but with the added weakness debuff we wouldn't want to over punish players for dying.

Would this system theoretically be for only PvP or both PvP and PvE?

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
both if gear was kept, consider it the price you pay for getting to keep it.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
both if gear was kept, consider it the price you pay for getting to keep it.
So, before I form my opinion, I want to give a little bit of a story.

My first few days on this new map were chaotic ones, rushing at cows and sheep relentlessly for precious meat and leather. It was intense to be out in the badlands of the map, just outside of spawn, and the risk made the sensation all the better. That constant feeling of kill or be killed was just riveting, and it was an awesome experience. After I had spent several coins, and at least a few hours hunting poor, defenseless cattle, I finally procured the armor in needed to level and survive, so I looked up a good dungeon where I could level, and recklessly charged in with another friend. It was a good experience, fun.

But it gets cheaper as you have to repeat it over and over.

So this dungeon that my friend and I were in, was dangerous, and as a group of higher leveled players ran in, my cowardly friend logged off leaving me to defend myself with exploding sheep and weak-ass fireballs. Of course, being the lvl 34 Beguiler that I was, now restarting my little experience from the beginning was miserable. That "new map, new rules, new risks" sensation gets old really fast, and although I enjoyed the experience while it lasted, doing it again, and again, and again, is just really irritating. Leather isn't easy to procure, and of course all the shit on the market is quite overpriced because new map shortages in the beginning.

Not to mention all the new players, who don't share my past map experiences, who are literally wandering the wilderness with bad chances of survival. Most people quit this server, which by all means isn't a super bad thing. This server is hardcore by name, I'm not trying to undermine that. But when you're trying to encourage PvP in these circumstances, you have two groups. Those who are well equipped, well prepped, and leveled farther than others, and those who are new, under equipped, and every little bit seems so valuable. The better geared group is obviously going to come out on top, and those with very little gear are going to be cursed to relive the same cycle of collecting their gear, spending money, only to die and lose all of their hard earned items once more. So yes, I agree that held items and armor should be kept on death.

Just to say this, I love all map pvp. Not saying anything against that. But this will greatly improve player retention and also make new players more likely to fight than run.

On mobile, ignore the errors.

My first few days on this new map were chaotic ones, rushing at cows and sheep relentlessly for precious meat and leather. It was intense to be out in the badlands of the map, just outside of spawn, and the risk made the sensation all the better. That constant feeling of kill or be killed was just riveting, and it was an awesome experience. After I had spent several coins, and at least a few hours hunting poor, defenseless cattle, I finally procured the armor in needed to level and survive, so I looked up a good dungeon where I could level, and recklessly charged in with another friend. It was a good experience, fun.

So this dungeon that my friend and I were in, was dangerous, and as a group of higher leveled players ran in, my cowardly friend logged off leaving me to defend myself with exploding sheep and weak-ass fireballs. Of course, being the lvl 34 Beguiler that I was, now restarting my little experience from the beginning was miserable. That "new map, new rules, new risks" sensation gets old really fast, and although I enjoyed the experience while it lasted, doing it again, and again, and again, is just really irritating. Leather isn't easy to procure, and of course all the shit on the market is quite overpriced because new map shortages in the beginning.

Not to mention all the new players, who don't share my past map experiences, who are literally wandering the wilderness with bad chances of survival. Most people quit this server, which by all means isn't a super bad thing. This server is hardcore by name, I'm not trying to undermine that. But when you're trying to encourage PvP in these circumstances, you have two groups. Those who are well equipped, well prepped, and leveled farther than others, and those who are new, under equipped, and every little bit seems so valuable. The better geared group is obviously going to come out on top, and those with very little gear are going to be cursed to relive the same cycle of collecting their gear, spending money, only to die and lose all of their hard earned items once more. So yes, I agree that held items and armor should be kept on death.

Just to say this, I love all map pvp. Not saying anything against that. But this will greatly improve player retention and also make new players more likely to fight than run.

I think the story is a good representation of what happens, but I do feel like it is a bit of an exaggeration. New players are not stuck in an endless cycle of misery, in fact it is fairly easy to escape it.

I am new, and sure I have died, but I got my death chest and continued on. When the map first started out I used the random teleportation button and inadvertently made my base about 200m from the edge of spawn. I was instantly targeted by PvPers, and as a low leveled paladin not especially interested in leveling combat skills at the time I had no shot. I died once because of PvPers, and was attacked many other times, but I managed to get away from those higher level players.

If I felt like it I could easily grind levels through non-PvP dungeons, but right now I am more focused on other things. I can honestly say as I have purposely been an active low leveled player on this map since it came up I have not been stuck in any endless, miserable cycle.

That being said, this would still help many of the new players. Those who do not want to risk losing their gear deep in a dungeon or by going out for a long trip in PvP filled areas. I have run around the bottom levels of dungeons waiting for the town spawn warm up to work avoiding death so I could keep the armor and weapon I had spent a lot of time tryin to get. If I did not have this fear I probably would have shifted my priorities by now and tried to level my class, but instead have avoided it.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6

This is a much better example of what i was trying to express.

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Anyone else remember those days when you lost your gear when you died? Killing people actually rewarded you with items/weapons/armour?
Pvp is nothing but epeen status (elo) right now lmao

p.s also bring back boats as well

Last edited: