• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Animal Storage

Nightroado

Obsidian
I'm not sure if plugin development is too large of a request, but here goes.

You have a bunch of animals bred. So does each and every town. Tons of entities eating up server resources. Animal butchering just pushes back the number for a short while. What to do?

Animal Storage.

Wade into the middle of your animals, throw down a sign. Right click. Bam. The sign changes to reflect what animals were around it. They despawn. You break the sign, they respawn.

Each sign can store only one animal type at a time. Obviously can only store passive animals. Has a block radius of say twenty to reach out and store that animal. Sign will attempt to store the largest population of all animal types it detects in case a random animal leaks over.

Farmers get to keep their animals and server can keep its resources.

Admira1Ackbar

Legacy Supporter 6
Good idea except during raiding times, people couldn't kill them.
Is killing all the passive animals really a necessity to raiding, though? It just seems like a player invoked butcher. If you are raiding an area, people couldn't use the herd then anyway.

Nightroado

Obsidian
Is killing all the passive animals really a necessity to raiding, though? It just seems like a player invoked butcher. If you are raiding an area, people couldn't use the herd then anyway.

I agree. It's a small thing to sacrifice in order to reduce server latency. The only -real- important farm would be a villager farm which I don't think would be made to be stored on a sign anyways.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Well that's the purpose of raids, to steal, if you see 100 cows then you are going to want their leather. A way to balance this idea is to make it so any player could remove the signs.

Nightroado

Obsidian
I think the plugin itself would be a pain to develop as is without making a permissions override. But if someone wanted to go that far, I would not stop them.

Still, I would rather just have the animal storage in place so I don't have to re-summon and breed my animals so often just because the server can't handle it. And really, who cares about raiding animals? You would have to be one poor SOB to care -that- much over it.

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
An interesting idea, but most passive mobs need to be moving about to either grow up or regrow their wool.
Once cows/pigs/chicken are grown they are spammed with wheat, baby animals show up, and adult cows are slain. The babies need to be left alone to grow.

Sheep need to be left alone to regrow their wool.

Nightroado

Obsidian
The initiative for farmers is to retain their animals through animal butchers and the server gets freed up resources.

Limitations could be included such as stored animals are all respawned as babies to prevent 'pitfalls' the plugin might have initially fallen into such as wool respawned on sheep or fast-growing babies by respawning them.

I would -love- sheep retained dyes though, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
I agree with all of this. The farmer would type on a sign [holdCow] or something else that can be decided upon for each animal to show that it is going to hold that animal type, sort of like the Craftbook ICs for Engineer. When the sign is broken, the animals are respawned as babies. The sign would be able to be broken by anyone, even in regions, so the animals can be slaughtered by raiders if they so choose to.