• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Alchemists

MixxiM

TNT
There has been a ton of controversy lately regarding alchemists and their ability to make chain, which is going to be given to Smiths at the present time.

Many alchemists chose their professions for the ability to make chain, and that ability solely. Potions are not particularly useful due to their cooldown times, transmute ore's ratios are not really worth it, and the other cauldron recipes are purely decorative.

Now, I will admit that it makes sense for a smith to have the ability to make chain mail, perhaps more so than an alchemist. However, due to the rarity associated with chain mail, it also makes sense that alchemist have a part in it's creation.

@masterT007 came up with an interesting concept earlier today, and I figured I'd post it here (after some minor changes) to see what you guys think.

Why not make alchemists and smiths work together in order to craft chain mail? What I mean is, alchemists should be the only ones who can provide the material needed for Smiths to craft the armor.

There is a vanilla recipe for chain mail which uses a fire block as its crafting material. If alchemists were given the ability to make these blocks in a cauldron (Flint and steel + Netherrack?), then make it a reagent for the Smith's CraftChain____ skills, I believe that would be an excellent compromise.

I'd also like to point out that this idea doesn't give a serious advantage or disadvantage to either side. Alchemists lose chain mail, but gain the ability to craft fire blocks (Which, other than looking cool, can't really be used for anything) and take part in the crafting of the armor. Smiths, on the other hand, get a cool new skill that allows them to profit (a bit) off of a new item.

What are your thoughts guys? @w0nd3rb0y , @Torod , @I_Love_Miners, @AzenYumCha , @Kainzo

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
IMO it would make chain too valuable, and an every-day use armor shouldnt be valuable at all. If you need 2 profession specs to make it = not worth it.

MixxiM

TNT
IMO it would make chain too valuable, and an every-day use armor shouldnt be valuable at all. If you need 2 profession specs to make it = not worth it.
I understand what you mean, but if the cost were reduced enough, I think it could balance it out.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree with Multi on this one, chain should be somewhat inconvenient to make, but not excessively rare as to need fire blocks. If you want to make chain, switch to smith, it's not a big deal. I do think that these new changes fit better with the vibe of alchemists, as a specialty class that makes rare blocks, instead of a class to make chain.

masterT007

Iron
@MixxiM but this way everyone could craft chain in the server just using a workbench.
you should choose a block that can't be used to craft chain on a work bence and isn't aviable in survival.
Something like cobwebs like I mentioned earlier. Wich could be 5 string + 1 slimeball. Wich smiths need to craft chain using a skill.

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6
My opinion is slightly biased due to the fact that my combat class does not use Chainmail, but in all honesty the changes are fine.

Although, I'm pretty sure that Kainzo has implemented a way for alchemists to make chain, but it is less efficient in comparison to smiths.

Smiths require Iron Fences to make Chain.
Alchemists require Iron Ingots to make Chain.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Having smiths craft chain is much more fitting. Never really made sense for alchemists to be the *main* chainmail crafters.