• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Alchemist Cauldron Tweaks + Updated Recipes for new blocks

Dreadniah

TNT
Adventurers Beware: long post ahead, there is no TL;DR.

Below are my ideas for tweaks to existing Cauldron recipes as well as new recipes for new blocks.

I reviewed the current list of Cauldron recipes and I think that with a few exceptions most of them seem to fit into three general categories:
  1. Give the player access to blocks normally obtainable only with Silk Touch or are rare (but can be farmed) for a cheap cost (e.g. Grass, Ice, Leaves, Cactus, Sugar Cane)
  2. Give the player access to rare blocks in exchange for a recipe more expensive than "market" price (e.g. Lapis Block, Soul Sand, Nether Brick, Glowstone Block)
  3. The Recipe seems very logical in terms of the real world, but isn't necessarily viable. These seem to be more for fun than anything else. (e.g. Brick Block, Smooth Stone, Chain Armor)
I tried to base my suggestions around these ideas, so I would not consider any of these changes to be an overhaul, they are just tweaks. The desired outcome of these changes would be for players to actually use more than 2 cauldron recipes.

Netherbrick

Since patch 1.5 a netherbrick can now be smelted from 4 netherrack, tying the value of the two blocks at around a 4:1 ratio.

The current recipe is:
2 Netherrack, 2 Obsidian, 2 Stone Brick, 1 Netherbrick ---> 2 Netherbrick
With the 1.5 change, if you "eliminate" from the equation you're really doing this:
2 Obsidian, 2 Stone Brick, ---> 2 Netherrack (In the smelted form of Netherbrick)

There is almost no reason to ever use this recipe as it would only make sense if the player was so critically short on Netherrack (which is very cheap and easy to collect, and is available in the TD) that they felt comfortable exchanging two obsidian and two processed stone blocks for just 2 Netherrack.

My proposed fix:

1 Obsidian, 2 Stonebrick, 1 Netherbrick ---> 2 Netherbrick

This recipe would retain the "seed" netherrack required to create more, as well as the expensive obsidian. Netherrack would be removed from the recipe because it would almost always be a better choice to just smelt netherrack down into bricks and save obsidian and stone. The Obsidian would be scaled back one to reach a 1:1 ratio.

Nether Brick Fence
Current Recipe:
8 Obsidian, 1 Netherbrick --> 1 Nether Brick Fence

I'm curious as to whether this recipe has ever even been used outside of testing. It asks the player to commit a huge amount of obsidian for a trade that is normally a 1:1 ratio considering Netherbrick can be crafted into Fence blocks in a 6:6 ratio for free.
The only time this recipe would ever make sense is if you had less than 6 netherbrick left but desperately needed 1-5 nether fences so badly that you would use 8-40 obsidian to perform a transition that is normally free.

My proposed fix:
1 Obsidian, 1 Netherbrick --> 2 Nether Brick Fence

This recipe would remove the huge obsidian money sink considering It's only being used to perform a typically free operation at a smaller scale. The new recipe would use the obsidian to pay for an extra fence at the cost that, you know, nether brick fences have a pretty small range of applications, can't be crafted back into netherbrick, and can already be found in sizable quantities in the nether. This is the only recipe I think might honestly might just deserve being removed, it really seems useless.

Blaze Powder
Current Recipe:
1 Glowstone Dust, 1 Redstone Dust, 1 Gunpowder --> 1 Blaze Powder

This recipe does not seem to fit in with the rest of the recipes as it awards a very valuable and expensive substance for a very cheap price. This is easily the most powerful recipe as the only other (reliable) method to collect them is by breaking down a blaze rod at a 1:2 ratio. With blaze rods costing anywhere from 35-50c each, this is not viable. However the current recipe is simply too powerful for a class that already has other reliable methods of making money.

My proposed fix:
1 Glowstone Block, 3 Redstone Dust, 3 Gunpowder --> 1 Blaze Powder

This is a straight rebalance - but not one that should make Blaze Powder too expensive, nor would it make this ability cease to be the most reliable cost effective method of acquiring Blaze Powder. Assuming Redstone Dust to be negligible in cost (seriously have you ever been mining) the cost of the reagents for 1 powder is around 2c, instead of .3c. This ability would still remain very powerful as a method for acquiring powder, but would be scaled back a reasonable amount.

NEW RECIPES:

Quartz Block

Proposed Level: 55 (Fits in a gap with no current recipe, is near the other nether recipes)
Recipe:
1 Emerald, 3 Gold Nuggets, 3 Sugar, 1 Redstone Block --> 1 Quartz Block

Similar to the Glowstone Recipe. This recipe would cost about 6-8c to make a block, which would make it worse than purchasing from other players but still viable enough to make some blocks if a seller could not be found. This reciple wouldn't give access to quartz peices, so you would still need to go to the nether if you wanted some for a comparator or a daylight sensor. Also provides another use for Emeralds and Sugar which have limited existing uses (the sugar bleaches the redstone block into quartz, it's magic I ain't gotta explain shit)

Leaves
Proposed Level: 11, 12, 13, 14 (Oak, Birch, Spruce, Jungle, respectively)

This would be the same thing as the leaf recipe we already have at level 12 but expanded across 4 levels for the different types of leaves and it would use their respective saplings with the exception of jungle saplings which should be reduced to only 1 sapling per recipe to make up for their reduced droprate. Increasing the amount of leaves rewarded to 6 instead of 3 would also make the recipe more viable.

Note: I'm not sure exactly what plugin we're using to handle the cauldrons atm, but if it takes something similar to .yml files like the old craftbook cauldrons did, I would be happy to write them for any of these recipes.

Last edited:

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
Poison Potions from Blaze Powder? Nopeeeee It's used for Fire Res(a lot) and Strength Potions (which give 0 to no effect)