• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Active Tutorial

So this is would be pretty low on the priority list, but I think it would help get new players into the heart of the game a lot smoother than the current system.

Although the tutorial has been notably improved, I think it could be improved with a more active tutorial. I was starting up a new single player map to test some build ideas when that annoying "Press 'E'" thing came down from the top left for a few seconds before disappearing. After thinking about for a few seconds, I think I came up with a solid idea.

There are a few basic things that players need to know to get by in the game: how to pick a class, what weapons/armor to use, how to use skills, how to make money, and how to join a town. What if when a player joined, they got that little box come down from the top left telling them to choose a class, but instead of disappearing it stayed there until it did? Once they did that, they'd hear a little jingle, the box would rise, and another box would descend telling them the command to see what weapons they can use with that class. Then the same thing with armor. Then the same thing with skills. Once all of this is complete there could an open book that pops up with info on how to make money and the steps to joining towns. It would conclude with the box dropping down on the left side for about 10 seconds with the link to hc.to/wiki inside of it.

This would require a bit of coding magic, but it seems like it would be doable. It is far from top priority, but I think it would help noobs to understand the game mechanics before going out into the world better than if they had just skipped the tutorial.

ncbugboy

Legacy Supporter 4
So this is would be pretty low on the priority list, but I think it would help get new players into the heart of the game a lot smoother than the current system.

Although the tutorial has been notably improved, I think it could be improved with a more active tutorial. I was starting up a new single player map to test some build ideas when that annoying "Press 'E'" thing came down from the top left for a few seconds before disappearing. After thinking about for a few seconds, I think I came up with a solid idea.

There are a few basic things that players need to know to get by in the game: how to pick a class, what weapons/armor to use, how to use skills, how to make money, and how to join a town. What if when a player joined, they got that little box come down from the top left telling them to choose a class, but instead of disappearing it stayed there until it did? Once they did that, they'd hear a little jingle, the box would rise, and another box would descend telling them the command to see what weapons they can use with that class. Then the same thing with armor. Then the same thing with skills. Once all of this is complete there could an open book that pops up with info on how to make money and the steps to joining towns. It would conclude with the box dropping down on the left side for about 10 seconds with the link to hc.to/wiki inside of it.

This would require a bit of coding magic, but it seems like it would be doable. It is far from top priority, but I think it would help noobs to understand the game mechanics before going out into the world better than if they had just skipped the tutorial.
1 word: GENIUS
This would require some coding, yes, But this sounds like a WONDERFUL idea.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3

I can do something of the sort with command blocks, but not nearly as efficiently as plugin coding, and I don't think I myself would be able to set up selection boxes. I love the idea, though.

I always had this idea to make the tutorial more interesting, by making it the first dungeon players enter. They start in a cell and are given a prompt to choose their classes and stuff, and then are tasked to escape the easy dungeon. From there it's possible to reward players for going through the dungeon by providing a small amount of souls from enemy drops, while also teaching them how to cash those souls in, and how to get xp.