• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

3D-printable gun designed, files taken down the US gov't

Drastikos

Legacy Supporter 3
Reminds me of how "they" freaked out when the HDDVD hex key was released lol
There's no stopping the sharing of information, period.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Found all the files that the US gov took down.
Going to send them to a secure-encrypted server, cannot stop information :)

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Yeah, there is the Tueller Drill which covers defending against knifes and then the Mythbusters covered the subject.

Pretty interesting, although I have a couple of reservations about that, mostly to do with the chance of a revenge kill... Although I agree with you that the plastic gun is hardly the best thing out there for self-defense. To start with, how about something that can fire more than once before you reload?

It's more of a symbol than anything else the way I see it. It's a fully-functional 3D-printed weapon, which may be followed by others, and 3D-printing has the potential become huge. It's a gun on the internet. As far as the Department of Defense is concerned, it's an undetectable firearm. It doesn't matter how good it is.

I think it's also an example of something scary that came out of a very free technology. A reason to put the reins on it starting now. Centralize it. Make it safe and controllable. And perhaps line your pockets on top of it all.

Ostadar

Legacy Supporter 7
Pretty interesting, although I have a couple of reservations about that, mostly to do with the chance of a revenge kill... Although I agree with you that the plastic gun is hardly the best thing out there for self-defense. To start with, how about something that can fire more than once before you reload?

It's more of a symbol than anything else the way I see it. It's a fully-functional 3D-printed weapon, which may be followed by others, and 3D-printing has the potential become huge. It's a gun on the internet. As far as the Department of Defense is concerned, it's an undetectable firearm. It doesn't matter how good it is.

I think it's also an example of something scary that came out of a very free technology. A reason to put the reins on it starting now. Centralize it. Make it safe and controllable. And perhaps line your pockets on top of it all.
As a concept I can understand it as well, but 3D-printing was already known as a concept with amazing potential so the printable gun did not really do much for me personally. The more amazing thing is that in ten years or so there will be the capability to print human organs with 3D-printers which outweighs the achievement of the printable gun by far.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechnology/3-d-printer-makes-bionic-ear-130502.htm

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
In some cases, it is appropriate for the government to step in and regulate things. We can't own weapons of mass destruction at all, let alone own them if they're registered. No one seems to be bothered by this.

Guns are useful for keeping peace and for self defense, but they are dangerous at the same time. I think it is appropriate to allow responsible citizens to own guns, but to also have the government require them to be registered.
Actually you have the constitutional right to own any weapon the government has. Though the government spends trillions each year trying to convince people that it is not the case.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Yeah, there is the Tueller Drill which covers defending against knifes and then the Mythbusters covered the subject.

Edit: If you want to watch the documentary I got the information about the peasants carrying daggers, it's this I believe. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395312/

Exactly. All rights are the province of the people. Those few rich s the government has are on loan from the people. They are to be taken back by the people if and when we deem necessary oops quoted wrong post

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
The government has guns to protect us from each other and from other countries. We have guns to protect ourselves from each other and from our own government. Anything they have we should have too. No registration necessary. It is the only way to remain free. Does this create a potential threat to our security? Yes. However as Benjamin Franklin once said " He who would exchange an essential liberty, for the sake of a little security, deserves neither."
Everybody dies not everyone lives, better to die on your feet than live on your knees.