• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

2D side scrolling minecraft??

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
Hey all, still on a hiatus from Minecraft but back from my trip to Italy with my wife. Just logged in and noticed this on Steam this morning ..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

I'm playing it now, kinda fun.. it's like 2d side scrolling minecraft, first thing the guide tells you when you start is to build a shelter because it's dangerous at night and craft a workbench to make more complex tools.. Anyone else play this ?

Will post some pics from my Rome/Florence trip in a couple days, still jet lagged.

Catch you round!

~Duush

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
[Obligatory MINECRAFT CLONE OMGWTFGTFO comment]

No really. It's Minecraft with more content (which we will get sooner or later anyway I guess), worse graphics, even smaller blocks and the 2D nature makes it even more difficult, if not impossible, to create something awesome. Sucks IMO.

EDIT: Mincecraft clone!

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
weynard said:

No really. It's Minecraft with more content (which we will get sooner or later anyway I guess), worse graphics, even smaller blocks and the 2D nature makes it even more difficult, if not impossible, to create something awesome. Sucks IMO.

How does it have worse graphics? One's 3d, one's 2d, completely different. Haha. To me, the graphics look way better for Terraria than they do for Minecraft, even smoother, but just 2d....

It sucks, in your opinion? Give it a go first......Haha.

I will be trying it out, but personally I don't know if it has the potential Minecraft does.......

Punisher79

Support the Death Penalty
Legacy Supporter 5
Skaduuuuuush!

In your absense, I have ripped down your overgrown panda, and replaced it with my own.

Jk.

We miss you being around, and your castle is getting dusty (hire a maid? Im available for 10,000c a week).

Hurry back!

J

jorict

There aren't too small for me. I can easily deal with it. Also, it's not exactly like minecraft. It's main focus I believe isn't building, it's to get better weapons and defeat the bosses and adventure. I really enjoy it, especially when there are random events like goblin invasion and what not, it can be really fun and challenging. It also doesn't have to be just pixel art, you can make a nice house somehow.

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
I'm having fun with it so far... it's like playing minecraft again for the first time.. Not really sure how to do everything yet but it's the discovery element that kept me playing minecraft.. once i had 'mastered' minecraft it lost some of it's luster...

I have a merchant now in my town, kinda cool that npc's just show up if you build homes for them

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Terraria is amazing. Me, sheddi, Fallen, greyP, and babb1e and some others have been playing it and it's pretty awesome although we pretty much beat the entire game in the last 2 days. Now it's time to screw around with the best gear, rape the boss monsters, and set a fun goal, like collecting every rare item in the game and then soloing the skeletron boss later.

It looks like minecraft at first but it is nothing like it. You are under constant attack by things even during the daytime, there are 30 or so different monsters to find in their zones and fight for new items and crafting supplies, chests to find while mining, heart containers to increase your health, stars that fall at night for mana, meteors that crash to mine for rare metorite, a hell zone if you dig deep enough, and like 400 different power up items to combine with 5 or 6 armor sets and like 30 weapons to get your desired character.

Does a lot more than minecraft and the only reason people say it is the same is because you have the ability to dig. Why would any good game have armor in it but NOT allow you to dig for the supplies yourself? Doesn't make it minecraft.

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
weynard said:

I can't stand when people call Terraria a minecraft clone. If anything it's a Castlevania clone.

Apherdite

Queen Bee
I will say this once. I will never play any 2d scroller, not one that is exactly like minecraft... The only 2D scroller worth anything is Castlevania: SotN. Just... just no.

Shenorai

Banned
Apherdite said:
I will say this once. I will never play any 2d scroller, not one that is exactly like minecraft... The only 2D scroller worth anything is Castlevania: SotN. Just... just no.
You make me sad, Apherdite. There are quite a few good sidescrollers.

Steamed

Legacy Supporter 3
apple was talking about this a couple months ago. Maybe thats why shes never on anymore.

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
Apherdite said:

It's not exactly like minecraft... in fact it's almost nothing like minecraft. I wish they had just left out the building aspect of the game so people would stop drawing the comparison. Also because building in 2D sucks.

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
Just to clarify, i don't know who started it but I never said it was exactly like MC, I personally feel it was "INSPIRED" by MC. There are some clear similarities, but the overall game is quite different. Still enjoying it all the same.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
With "inspired" you mean...
-Zombies spawning at night?
-Picking up and replacing blocks you have broken?
-Crafting benches and furnances?
-A lava layer?
-Hell?

The only "features" Terraria brings to the table that were not copy-pasted from MC are bosses, 5-6 pieces of furniture, NPCs and some more Items albeit only the NPCs are positions on this list that couldn't be easily implemented.

Clearly not like Minecraft, alright.

Still going to play it until we wipe that stale old map. I AM mad.

EDIT: Ok, Ok, it has the corruption and all that -.-

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
as notch said, infiniminer inspired him for minecraft, maybe some future games will be inspired by minecraft, but as minecraft isn't infiniminer, those games will not be minecraft, that's how it work

so, stop freaking out everytime something containing mining and craft come out, just keep on playing minecraft, i don't care about others games

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Apherdite said:

Super%20Metroid-3-full.png

FUCK YOU

er, I mean... I respect your opinion?

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
weynard said:
With "inspired" you mean...
-Zombies spawning at night?
-Picking up and replacing blocks you have broken?
-Crafting benches and furnances?
-A lava layer?
-Hell?

Just about everything you listed has existed in games before Terraria and before Minecraft, except maybe a "lava layer"

sheddi

Legacy Supporter 3
i love this game it was super fun only downside is that it gets boring fast i got every rare item 10 times over it i think the only reason why people dont like it is because there afraid that its gonna be better then minecraft wich wont happen yes its a good game but it gets boring way to quickly its worth a try