• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Zan's minimap - OP?

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm a little concerned about the new feature in Zans minimap that shows nearby caverns/tunnels (where there is a lightsource such as a torch or lava)
Concerns:
1) spell dungeons (especially mazes, or ones that have hidden/concealed areas) could be solved more easily than intended
2) locating peoples 'secret' underground lairs becomes a trivial matter (find the general area, e.g. with the help of a ranger, then dig down anywhere near enough until it shows up on the minimap
3) locating caverns is easier - look for lava and dig towards it

1 and 2 concern me most. 3 doesn't seem too bad, just makes finding mineral-rich caverns a bit easier.

I'm not suggesting we ban zans minimap, i'd spend most of my time in herocraft being lost if that happened, but could there be some way to disable this feature maybe?

Demonxman

Obsidian
hrmm.... like a plugin that specifically disables that feature? or when someone turns it on it instantly turns off?
anything is possible in the digital world ;)

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
Maybe get zan, or whoever is updating the mod, to make a version without the cavemap, Or get one of the Herocraft coders, to remove cavemap, and post the "safe" version on the Herocraft forums.

Demonxman

Obsidian
I thought of that but how could you tell who has the 'safe' version and who has the original? and how could you enforce it when you don't know?

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
I thought of that but how could you tell who has the 'safe' version and who has the original? and how could you enforce it when you don't know?

Was thinking along the lines of asking the creator(s) of zans to make that feature controllable by the server - preventing that feature from working if there is a certain server flag set (If such a thing is possible. I don't have a good understanding of how plugins work. )

Darroes

Legacy Supporter 6
But I love cave map! I've been digging in two different developing undergound townships and it is very useful :p

Agreed, I haven't used it to gain any unfair advantages yet. It's been a great help in creating the underground section of our town though so far.

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
But I love cave map! I've been digging in two different developing undergound townships and it is very useful :p

This is EXACTLY why we can't have this. Hidden houses underground is now impossible to hide unless you remove all the torches every time you leave.

Darroes

Legacy Supporter 6
This is EXACTLY why we can't have this. Hidden houses underground is now impossible to hide unless you remove all the torches every time you leave.

Could make the ability to turn torches on and off quite useful.

Chaz8591

Legacy Supporter 5
It's been helping me find areas that haven't been mined through yet. I don't see very much harm being done with it.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Me and Trin have already brought this to Kains attention and he is debating about what to do with it.

And that is exactly whats wrong with it.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
And will the punishments for using the cave function be similar to that of xray or speed hacks?
We don't discriminate between "better" or "worse" hax. An offense against one of our rules is an offense against all of them.

I've been abusing the cavemap feature since I discovered it, but in the light of the administration's remarks, I pledge never to use it again.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
I got lost in some mines yesterday... The cavemap wasn't really much help :/ Had to dig up to get out. xD

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
how do I know if I have the cave feature?
If you are using Zans minimap with 1.7.2 or 1.7.3 then you have the cavemap feature (its in the options)

It doesnt give as huge a benefit as xraying (doesn't show ore) but clearly shows existing tunnels/caves (and shrooms) at your current depth if they have a light source (torches/lava).

As per doreagardes post above....I'm not turning it on again.

Farroes

Legacy Supporter 6
am i the only one who still doesnt have this mod and improved chat... i need to get on this sometime.. sometime else.