• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion XP for using professions skills

Kyren_

Stone
Ahoy!

My crew has reached some professions now, and we were quite unhappy to see that not much has changed. We get a very nice extra skills, but we are still forced to go mining and logging, doing profession relevant skills yields no xp. Not even some minor ones as a kind of recognition.

Very well, I'm a smith, I repair stone and iron tools all day long, and in a roleplay and atmoshperic kind of way I should get better with smithing in that. I'm honing my skills, I'm getting to know just how exactly I've got to hit that damn iron spade to get it repaired. If I forge an armor, it requires skill and concentration for my part, my chain pieces are a work of art!

But instead of levelling with using my profession, smithing armor for example, I have to go mining coal and iron even more. On maps that are already very outmined (except Warshard), this only adds to the problem that new players don't find gold ore or other ores that might help them level.

I've only noted that problem with Smith and Alchemist so far, our Enchanter isn't up to his real task yet and with the Farmer I know from the chat that you get XP for farming, at least.

For the smith I'd propose the following XP rates:

Repairing Stone Tools: 2x the XP of the cobblestone used
Repairing Bows: 1/4th of the XP of the supposed spider kill
Repairing Iron Tools, Armor, Weapons: 1x the XP of mining a Iron Ore
Repairing Gold Tools, Armor, Weapons: 1x the XP of mining a Gold Ore
Repairing Diamond Tools, Armor, Weapons: 1/2 the XP of mining a Diamond
Forging Chainmail Armor: 1/2 of the XP of mining the necessary amount of Iron used for the Iron Bars

Can't talk for the Alchemist, I don't know it's skillset well enough :/

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Ahoy!

My crew has reached some professions now, and we were quite unhappy to see that not much has changed. We get a very nice extra skills, but we are still forced to go mining and logging, doing profession relevant skills yields no xp. Not even some minor ones as a kind of recognition.

Very well, I'm a smith, I repair stone and iron tools all day long, and in a roleplay and atmoshperic kind of way I should get better with smithing in that. I'm honing my skills, I'm getting to know just how exactly I've got to hit that damn iron spade to get it repaired. If I forge an armor, it requires skill and concentration for my part, my chain pieces are a work of art!

But instead of levelling with using my profession, smithing armor for example, I have to go mining coal and iron even more. On maps that are already very outmined (except Warshard), this only adds to the problem that new players don't find gold ore or other ores that might help them level.

I've only noted that problem with Smith and Alchemist so far, our Enchanter isn't up to his real task yet and with the Farmer I know from the chat that you get XP for farming, at least.

For the smith I'd propose the following XP rates:

Repairing Stone Tools: 2x the XP of the cobblestone used
Repairing Bows: 1/4th of the XP of the supposed spider kill
Repairing Iron Tools, Armor, Weapons: 1x the XP of mining a Iron Ore
Repairing Gold Tools, Armor, Weapons: 1x the XP of mining a Gold Ore
Repairing Diamond Tools, Armor, Weapons: 1/2 the XP of mining a Diamond
Forging Chainmail Armor: 1/2 of the XP of mining the necessary amount of Iron used for the Iron Bars

Can't talk for the Alchemist, I don't know it's skillset well enough :/
This is certainly something we want to change. To do this, we'll have to remove all skill-exp gain from combat classes (Which is probably for the best) and then we can grant skill-gain for crafter classes.

For alchemist the only good way to level is by mining.
I support this suggestion lol, looking forward to this changing in the hopefully near future

Kyren_

Stone
This hasn't been in the last patch, obviously :p Is this still being worked on or on the priority list?

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
But how else am i gonna master cleric?

By slaying hordes of monsters singlehandedly like ironee212 did ;) If you think that's hard try Mystic!

Back on topic: I think this is a great idea. Not sure how this would translate to Mason, as my skills have no cooldown or cost. I would love to gain exp from placing my craftbook signs, but if it means having a cooldown, I'll stick to mining.