• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

XenZan's list of newb questions

Best way to get coin at low levels?

• Total voters

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
So here's the deal: I've been on this server for about a month now and there are still some things I am not entirely sure about. I've read the wiki and some forum posts and generally skulked about, but I still have questions. So, I've compiled them here in hopes of getting some answers. I'll edit with answers when I get them for my own sake.

Q. What happens when you break/move a chest or other openable that you've LWC'd?
A. I found this JUST NOW while editing the wiki, lawl. You get refunded the coin you paid for it. I assume that you get nothing if you use a free donor LWC on it. Speaking of which...

Q. Are the free donor LWCs reusable, after you break/move the locked item? (ie do you get that freebie back?)
A. Yes, they are! But with some interesting catches. More research needs to be done, but it looks like once you've started locking the paid LWCs (with reduced cost), and then you unlock one of your free LWCs, it may be that you still must pay for the next LWC. Unlocking all the LWCs you own (or maybe just the paid ones?) should solve it, if not with a small amount of potential inconvenience. More testing needed!
Thanks to Jonsoon and WitchOnaRampage

NOTE on LWCs: using the /unlock command will refund your money, so it's best to do this rather than simply breaking the chest immediately. There seem to be complications if you don't. See Kainzo's post below.​

ALSO: You can only use your free LWCs if you have no paid LWCs activated.​

Q. Is the damage of a level 1 spec'd class really worse than that of a base path class? Example: according to the wiki, Rogue Iron Sword damage is a flat 60. Ninja Iron Sword damage is 49 + 0.7/level or 49.7 at level 1.
A. No, according to the in-game commands /hero tools <class> to view tools available to a class you aren't actually leveled in yet (derp)! Note that it only shows the base values.
Thanks to Jonsoon
WitchOnaRampage - What can we do/is there to do about this apparent discrepancy in the wiki? I know this has confused me a lot since I joined. Let's fix it!

NOTE on classes and tool damage: The commands show only the base damage and can be misleading when viewing other classes rather than simply using /hero tools to view your own data. It may be better to consult the wiki instead of using /hero tools <class>.​

Q. Is it griefing to break into someone's house (literally, like through a wall) IF you replace every block the way it was? I've seen conflicting opinions on this, a solid answer would be swell. I realize doing this to chase players is okay, but say no one's home and you break in to raid their chests and so forth.
A. As long as everything is in the state you found it, it is not griefing. I assume this excludes any potential stolen items ;)
Thanks to Jonsoon

...Okay, so there really weren't as many as I thought there were. I must have figured some things out between the time when I thought about setting this thread up and this very moment. Ah well, I can always add more in as they come.

Any takers? :rolleyes:

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Q. Are the free donor LWCs reusable, after you break/move the locked item? (ie do you get that freebie back?)
Yes. They act the same way as other LWCs. When the chest is destroyed, or the spell removed, the free LWC can be used again.

Q. Is the damage of a level 1 spec'd class really worse than that of a base path class? Example: Rogue Iron Sword damage is a flat 60. Ninja Iron Sword damage is 49 + 0.7/level or 49.7 at level 1.
I believe the wiki is outdated in this. Type /hero tools <class> in game to see the available tools and damage values for that class. Note it only shows the base damage
Rogue:
Iron: 30, Wood: 20, Stone, 20, Gold, 25
Ninja:

Q. Is it griefing to break into someone's house (literally, like through a wall) IF you replace every block the way it was? I've seen conflicting opinions on this, a solid answer would be swell. I realize doing this to chase players is okay, but say no one's home and you break in to raid their chests and so forth.
As long as everything is in the state you found it, it is not griefing.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9

A bit of background: on the Donor Perks page, in the section on LWCs:

LWCs, or Light Weight Chest protections, can be applied to a range of lockable blocks - chests, furnaces, doors, buttons and levers - to provide private or password-protected access to the owner and other named players, and to protect the block from destruction.
The number of LWCs a player can create is not limited. However the number of LWCs that can be applied specifically to CHESTS is limited.
Depending on Tier, donors receive the benefits of:
  • being able to use LWCs on a greater number of chests
  • receiving a number of LWCs (that can be used on any lockable block) for free
  • having to pay less coin for LWCs created after they have used all their free LWCs.
So... if you're a Tier 7 donor like Jonsoon and myself, you get 5 LWCs on chests for free, and you can put an additional 12 LWCs on chests for 200c each. You can put as many LWCs on other lockable blocks as you like, but those are the limits for chests.

Now, back to your question:

You continue to get free LWCs while you are still within your limit for free LWCs. Unlock a freebie, set it up elsewhere.

Where it gets tricky is when you have placed your limit of freebies and are starting to get into paid ones. What happens when you break a freebie when you have paid ones in place?

I don't know - please tell me when you find out!

My understanding from what was previously in the wiki and whisperings I've heard is that if you break a free LWC when you have paid ones in place, you will still have to pay for the next one you place. If you want to get your full complement of freebies again, you need to unlock all your chests and start over.

However, I really don't see that there's a problem with that. You get your money back when you unlock a paid chest anyway, so it's sort of like renting it interest-free...

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
I believe the wiki is outdated in this. Type /hero tools <class> in game to see the available tools and damage values for that class. Note it only shows the base damage
Rogue:
Ninja:
I think this ought to be addressed. Thank you for clarifying. I may need to add the <class> input to the wiki newbie guide... (I was also under the impression Ninjas could use diamond :rolleyes: Sad derpy day for me)

Re weapons damage:

Outdated: no. Incomplete: yes.
Let's fix this!
Don't get me wrong, though: I know you've been hard at work keeping it all up to date. Let me know how I can help.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Oh, gotcha. I haven't been in-game yet to check, but that makes sense.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Remember, both the wiki and the ingame help have to be updated by people who have the time to do so, and who remember that it needs to be done! There is no magical process that means a change in code brings an immediate correction in the ingame help or the wiki.

The damage figures in the wiki for the key tools for each class are correct as of 3 days ago. I can't see any relationship between them and the figures in the ingame help. I'm following up on this.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
I understand. And trust me, I wasn't trying to imply that it is easy and magic. I know that the ingame help has a host of helpers to keep it accurate, and also that the wiki has, basically, you. From the history and recent edits, it's clear you do most of the wiki by yourself, and you do a fantastic job, at that. I think it'd be easier on you if there were more people actively involved in keeping the wiki up to date, that's all I was getting at. ;)

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Lol, I'm not meaning to sound snarky! I just think we need to change people's perception of what the wiki provides and what people can expect from it.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Then let's do it!
Am doing it... :D .

Type /hero tools <class> in game to see the available tools and damage values for that class. Note it only shows the base damage
Rogue:
Ninja:

I've found out where these values are set and am adding them to the wiki. NOTE: I've started with the Warrior and Caster classes so if anyone would like to check them out and see how much sense the figures make, PLEASE DO.

I've also discussed these values with Danda, and I understand he might be reviewing them over the next few days.

Please tag anyone else you think might be interested in these figures.

XenZan Jonsoon Danda leftovers5 northeaster345 Eldrylars TeamShovel BeasttRecon Kainzo

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So here's the deal: I've been on this server for about a month now and there are still some things I am not entirely sure about. I've read the wiki and some forum posts and generally skulked about, but I still have questions. So, I've compiled them here in hopes of getting some answers. I'll edit with answers when I get them for my own sake.

Q. What happens when you break/move a chest or other openable that you've LWC'd?
A. I found this JUST NOW while editing the wiki, lawl. You get refunded the coin you paid for it. I assume that you get nothing if you use a free donor LWC on it. Speaking of which...

A. Yes, they are! But with some interesting catches. More research needs to be done, but it looks like once you've started locking the paid LWCs (with reduced cost), and then you unlock one of your free LWCs, it may be that you still must pay for the next LWC. Unlocking all the LWCs you own (or maybe just the paid ones?) should solve it, if not with a small amount of potential inconvenience. More testing needed!
Thanks to Jonsoon and WitchOnaRampage

Q. Is the damage of a level 1 spec'd class really worse than that of a base path class? Example: according to the wiki, Rogue Iron Sword damage is a flat 60. Ninja Iron Sword damage is 49 + 0.7/level or 49.7 at level 1.
A. No, according to the in-game commands /hero tools <class> to view tools available to a class you aren't actually leveled in yet (derp)! Note that it only shows the base values.
Thanks to Jonsoon
WitchOnaRampage - What can we do/is there to do about this apparent discrepancy in the wiki? I know this has confused me a lot since I joined. Let's fix it!

A. As long as everything is in the state you found it, it is not griefing. I assume this excludes any potential stolen items ;)
Thanks to Jonsoon

...Okay, so there really weren't as many as I thought there were. I must have figured some things out between the time when I thought about setting this thread up and this very moment. Ah well, I can always add more in as they come.

Any takers? :rolleyes:

You only get refunded if you /unlock. Breaking the chest will keep the "LWC" active in those spaces. At least this is what it was several months ago, I could be wrong. 100% method is to /unlock.

You can only use your FREE lwc's if NO lwc's have been placed over your free lwc limit.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
You only get refunded if you /unlock. Breaking the chest will keep the "LWC" active in those spaces. At least this is what it was several months ago, I could be wrong. 100% method is to /unlock.

You can only use your FREE lwc's if NO lwc's have been placed over your free lwc limit.
Thank you very much for that clarification! I will update my OP xD

Thank you witch. On top of things, as always. I do believe that is an important addition to the LWC section. It may be good to add in under the management secion (where the commands are listed) under the /unlock command that it refunds you. I assume the same is done for the /cremove command, but unless Kainzo wants to confirm (or anyone, I guess), I can't be sure.

JakeHEEZ

Legacy Supporter 3
so i have a question, i just donated $20 and i'll be getting 1 free chest and 7 lwc's, i think... does that mean i can use 7 lwc's at a time, break them or replace them, and use those 7 over again? or do they go away after use? and if i use up my lwc on a chest but later break it, can i put it back on a different chest? thx
jakeheez

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
so i have a question, i just donated $20 and i'll be getting 1 free chest and 7 lwc's, i think... does that mean i can use 7 lwc's at a time, break them or replace them, and use those 7 over again? or do they go away after use? and if i use up my lwc on a chest but later break it, can i put it back on a different chest? thx
jakeheez

You can have a total of 7 chests at any given time. So you'll still have 7 total even if you remove them. Also you can get your free chest back in a similar way you don't lose free chests by removing the lwc, you can put your free lwc on another chest, and get that one for free.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
jakeheez

Jake, you have an unlimited number of LWCs which you can apply to chests, doors, whatever, which will cost you 350c each. Of these, you can use up to 7 on chests, and the first of these will be free to you. You can unmake and remake the chest LWCs within that limit of 7.

The thing to watch, however, is if you make the free one, then a paid one, and then unmake the free one, you don't get the free one back unless you ask (nicely) an admin to reset all your chests (which takes the protection off all of them at once, so you'd want to be online to remake them when it happens!)

So it can be a good idea to put the first/free one on a chest that's likely to be permanent-ish.[DOUBLEPOST=1362433964,1362433936][/DOUBLEPOST]Answered at the same time as northeaster, lol.