• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Why I Think Leveling on HC is the Worst Thing Ever.

If you don't know me I'm TheUberNerd. I joined the server half way through Bastion because of a server suggestion from my friend. Some people on the server might have a strong hate for me, some might not, but I ask EVERYONE to just put that aside and take time to read what I think is a huge flaw in the leveling system that constantly makes me very frustrated.

First off, I don't want to make this thread seem like I'm completely against the admins, etc. I respect them, and all they've done for the server.

So onto my opinions. Since joining I've probably leveled well over 10 PVP classes and over 5 professions. Leveling has always been a challenge due to the way mobs, and experience are set up. The closer you are from spawn, the weaker the mobs, and the less exp you get. The farther from spawn, the stronger the mob, and the more exp you get. This scaling system is pretty unique but it makes leveling a pain, especially for lower levels and higher levels (either the experience is too low, or the monsters are too strong, you usually can't get the best of both worlds). This makes leveling very frustrating to do, and prolongs the time needed to grind and reach max levels.

Now, this isn't the biggest problem, the biggest problem is the experience received. Without exp boosts, leveling a class from 1-65 can take days to weeks of just continuous grinding. And at first it seems fine, but after killing the SAME 4-5 mobs over the time span of days and weeks it gets VERY tedious and just downright grueling.

You might say, this is Minecraft you get what you get. I agree, you can't customize Minecraft that much, and you will reach a certain point where you can't do much more to the game even if you wanted to.

What is the difference between real RPGs and Minecraft RPGs that make real RPGs a lot less boring to play?

1. Those real RPGs have MANY different maps, landscapes and places you can go and train, and visit. In Minecraft you just get a few biomes and a few different towns.
2. Real RPGs have MANY different mobs, ranging from dozens to hundreds of UNIQUE monsters and mobs, compared to the 5-6 different mobs in Minecraft.
3. You have many different ways of earning exp, such as dungeons, quests, events, etc. In Minecraft RPGs your main way of earning exp is grinding, and quests and dungeons are LIMITED.

So this is basically a summary of what Minecraft leveling is like: Kill the same 4-5 mobs in the same biome, usually in the same place, for hours and hours on end. Now I understand that some dungeons and quests are in the midst of being added but do I think they will change this problem as much? Not really.

SOLUTION 1: Simply, permanently increase the EXP gained per monster by a certain amount. It can be a small 1.5x boost, or a 2x boost. It might seem like a huge change, but it would make leveling MUCH easier.
SOLUTION 2: You can just have scheduled EXP boosts from the server in a balanced increment that would give people a chance to plan their leveling time frames in the day, and secondly it'd be a very nice add-on to days where no one purchases a boost.
SOLUTION 3 (BONUS): Custom Mobs. I know this has already been a tested feature, but there needs to be way more custom mobs to make grinding just a bit more interesting than just seeing, a creeper, a spider, a zombie, a skeleton, etc.

I know that one of the sources of income from the server comes from purchases of boosts, and with these solutions implemented it'd have a toll on the influx of purchases that come in, but I feel like this change would make people want to stay on the server LONGER, and would actually give people the much needed "push" to get people to start WANTING to level their classes.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read ALL of that, and hear my suggestion. I spent hundreds of hours purely on trying to level classes in my past and I truly do feel like the process of getting level 65 in PVP/PVE fighting classes would be less of a struggle and more of a fun journey and incentive.

Also, this is PURELY a suggestion thread! If you have any other ideas or any comments about my idea,
PLEASE EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS! Just try not to bash this thread, please and thank you!

LASTLY, I APOLOGIZE IF I MADE ANY GRAMMAR OR SPELLING MISTAKES!!!

-TheUberNerd

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Reply to Solution 1:

Makes leveling way too easy, and would make boosts superstrong.

Reply to Solution 2:

Boosts are already very powerful, and should remain something that can only be bought for a price in the store.

Reply to Solution 3:

This is the only viable and good solution. Adding special mobs (mob bosses) with higher exp gain and special drops would make leveling more entertaining and unique.

Reply to Solution 1:

Makes leveling way too easy, and would make boosts superstrong.

Reply to Solution 2:

Boosts are already very powerful, and should remain something that can only be bought for a price in the store.

Reply to Solution 3:

This is the only viable and good solution. Adding special mobs (mob bosses) with higher exp gain and special drops would make leveling more entertaining and unique.

Now, to specify on Solution 1, it could always be a 50% boost. Lets say a mob gives 50 exp, it'd be 75 exp after the boost. It'd be a change that wouldn't make leveling way too easy, but it'd make it easier than it is now. Secondly the boosts could be nerfed a bit to balance this out.

About Solution 2, the reason why I thought about a scheduled boost was for two reasons.

Lets say 1 week, no one buys boosts, that'd be a week where there is no exp assistance whatsoever, and it's be a struggle to level up during that week.

Secondly, boosts are completely random. Whenever someone feels like buying it, they buy it.
So let's say someone is playing another game like Call of Duty, during this boost. They wouldn't know about it, but if there was a scheduled boost then people would know, that 5-7PM EST on a Saturday would be a 100% boost, and they would spend that time leveling rather than playing some other game like League of Legends or watching a video on YouTube.

But ya, thanks for telling me what you think about the solutions EtKenn :)
I myself are not 100% sure what would happen, this is just what I feel would make a difference.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Not sure how lvling works this map but compared to other hero servers i've played on HC is by far the fastest.

To my knowledge @Kainzo has already planned/ is planning the following:
-boss like mobs (he talked about this a lot the first day of the new map
-more special drops (hell this one is on a public forum)
-lots of people chiping together to buy boost (or something)

Correct me if im wrong kain
----
You shouldn't be waiting for boosts and i hate seeing people annoy supporters for them. It just makes it less likely to happen.

Y

ytiggidmas

Not sure how lvling works this map but compared to other hero servers i've played on HC is by far the fastest.

----
You shouldn't be waiting for boosts and i hate seeing people annoy supporters for them. It just makes it less likely to happen.
currently waiting for a boost to master cleric.. haha

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8
The adventure map will fulfil much of what you have said.

Also, remember that the game is continuous, a quick levelling timeframe would be stupid for such a game. If the game had an end/ end goal, then i would agree, but because it is always on going, the time taken to level is fine.

Your points about how you level i very much agree with, grinding isn't exactly fun, but then again, it's minecraft, grinding is what you do. I believe quests are still in the works, so that would change that, and again, the adventure map would change this.

lordprettyflack0

Legacy Supporter 6
I know im going to get a lot of hate for this but uhh

pay to win = richnessness

I dont think people realise that pay to win is how you get money and people, if you look at all other servers you can see most of them have 200+ people because its pay to win, if herocraft was like that, it would be up there because its unique and pay to win...

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter

I dont think people realise that pay to win is how you get money and people, if you look at all other servers you can see most of them have 200+ people because its pay to win, if herocraft was like that, it would be up there because its unique and pay to win...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Herocraft is "Unique" and not Play to win. Kainzo has set a very strict margin to avoid this issue ( Except for that flop he mentioned with /sneak >.< ) . And with the new Mojang EULA the server barely has to nudge to fix the issue with that. ( There was a clause about no paying for ingame items and Keys might fall under this issue ) and I am proud of that. Not to mention in my experiance this is how Pay-2-wins are

1# The regular players have low moral and not very to any loyalty to the server
2# Most of the people who Pay2win think of themselfs as "Better" than regular players
3# The servers close once the Pay2Wins get sick of it and leave >.<

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8

The fact that Herocraft isnt P2W is what makes it unique. Plus I'm sure that Mojang are cracking down on P2W servers anyway.

Xhazed

Portal

----
Lol i have playd like 10 diff servers with heros and i master in like no time compared to her craft

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
If you don't know me I'm TheUberNerd. I joined the server half way through Bastion because of a server suggestion from my friend. Some people on the server might have a strong hate for me, some might not, but I ask EVERYONE to just put that aside and take time to read what I think is a huge flaw in the leveling system that constantly makes me very frustrated.

First off, I don't want to make this thread seem like I'm completely against the admins, etc. I respect them, and all they've done for the server.

So onto my opinions. Since joining I've probably leveled well over 10 PVP classes and over 5 professions. Leveling has always been a challenge due to the way mobs, and experience are set up. The closer you are from spawn, the weaker the mobs, and the less exp you get. The farther from spawn, the stronger the mob, and the more exp you get. This scaling system is pretty unique but it makes leveling a pain, especially for lower levels and higher levels (either the experience is too low, or the monsters are too strong, you usually can't get the best of both worlds). This makes leveling very frustrating to do, and prolongs the time needed to grind and reach max levels.

Now, this isn't the biggest problem, the biggest problem is the experience received. Without exp boosts, leveling a class from 1-65 can take days to weeks of just continuous grinding. And at first it seems fine, but after killing the SAME 4-5 mobs over the time span of days and weeks it gets VERY tedious and just downright grueling.

You might say, this is Minecraft you get what you get. I agree, you can't customize Minecraft that much, and you will reach a certain point where you can't do much more to the game even if you wanted to.

What is the difference between real RPGs and Minecraft RPGs that make real RPGs a lot less boring to play?

1. Those real RPGs have MANY different maps, landscapes and places you can go and train, and visit. In Minecraft you just get a few biomes and a few different towns.
2. Real RPGs have MANY different mobs, ranging from dozens to hundreds of UNIQUE monsters and mobs, compared to the 5-6 different mobs in Minecraft.
3. You have many different ways of earning exp, such as dungeons, quests, events, etc. In Minecraft RPGs your main way of earning exp is grinding, and quests and dungeons are LIMITED.

So this is basically a summary of what Minecraft leveling is like: Kill the same 4-5 mobs in the same biome, usually in the same place, for hours and hours on end. Now I understand that some dungeons and quests are in the midst of being added but do I think they will change this problem as much? Not really.

SOLUTION 1: Simply, permanently increase the EXP gained per monster by a certain amount. It can be a small 1.5x boost, or a 2x boost. It might seem like a huge change, but it would make leveling MUCH easier.
SOLUTION 2: You can just have scheduled EXP boosts from the server in a balanced increment that would give people a chance to plan their leveling time frames in the day, and secondly it'd be a very nice add-on to days where no one purchases a boost.
SOLUTION 3 (BONUS): Custom Mobs. I know this has already been a tested feature, but there needs to be way more custom mobs to make grinding just a bit more interesting than just seeing, a creeper, a spider, a zombie, a skeleton, etc.

I know that one of the sources of income from the server comes from purchases of boosts, and with these solutions implemented it'd have a toll on the influx of purchases that come in, but I feel like this change would make people want to stay on the server LONGER, and would actually give people the much needed "push" to get people to start WANTING to level their classes.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read ALL of that, and hear my suggestion. I spent hundreds of hours purely on trying to level classes in my past and I truly do feel like the process of getting level 65 in PVP/PVE fighting classes would be less of a struggle and more of a fun journey and incentive.

Also, this is PURELY a suggestion thread! If you have any other ideas or any comments about my idea,
PLEASE EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS! Just try not to bash this thread, please and thank you!

-TheUberNerd

You're lucky, at least now you can level on PVE and not have to worry about constant ganks. Hell, you can even take all the items back with you to the PVP server.

RIP fun. RIP skill ceiling. Welcome Babymode.

Mustardmanmcgee

Legacy Supporter 3

-TheUberNerd
Instead of arguing over trifle things that have already been established as useless (Regular exp boosts and permanent exp boosts) Let us discuss the only viable solution to this problem you want to oppose @TheUberNerd, adding custom mobs to the mix. In your opinion (I'm asking Uber, no one else atm) what different mobs should be added to make leveling a more interesting experience?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I agree that leveling on Herocraft current method isnt 100% fun. We are working on changing this with adventure (and several things will bleed over to PVP/PVE)