• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Why HP scaling doesn't magically just work out.

vudani

Legacy Supporter 4
1. Each HP increase and damage increase armor becomes more and more worthless. Unless the way durability is dealt with is handled differently armor will just break more and more quickly. You may say "Well Vudani, just have your friend repair it!" Well, unfortunately it breaks too fast for me to un-equip it before I die. Is it intended for everyone to run around naked?

2. I'm a level 36 ranger. It takes 80 wheat to heal myself. The server cap is 100, there's 20 classes son in the best possible situation there are 10 effective healers online? Do I know any? Probably not. But wait, I know one! Darn, hes over a thousand blocks away mining/building/exploring/trading/pvping. I guess I'll go make another farm.

You might say this is a "hardcore" server and I should make friends with healers. Well, why is it hardcore to take 45 damage from a creeper explosion and be forced to stop everything and find a way to heal? Is it hardcore to run around killing brainless zombies with my bow for an hour and gain 1/3 a level? Is it hardcore to wait around for a healer so I can actually fight people? Yeah, sounds pretty hardcore, just not fun at all.

I feel like the devs need to remember that were still playing Minecraft, not a game with an in depth combat system with AI that is more than player < 20 move to player. I agree that a lot of these ideas are great and most of them work. I just think the focus should be on creating a funner, more exciting Minecraft RPG experience rather than creating one more punishing and tedious to the average player.

In summary, HP needs to scale properly with more aspects of the game if its going up so high and the focus of development should be about fun as well as difficulty not one or the other. This is an incredible start to a server and I hope to see some great things in the future.

PS. I've been going to college for a bachelor in Game Design for 2.5 years now at UCF, graduating next spring. I've also been playing video games and MMO's since EQ1 quite regularly.

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
I agree with the fact that armor durability should be change to work with the health. I really think right now, PVP is perfect. Just great. But killing mobs is tedious and almost impossible sometimes, Especially now that bread heals Me ( a level 31 dragoon) around .5 to 1 hearts. I kill 3 mobs and have to go back to my house to get food or find a healer. Part of that is that the lag has been reduced By insane amounts. I love you for that Kain. But mobs are still too hard. Maybe if food did heal more, Or mobs had less health. I personaly think a zombie hiting me for 2- 3 hearts And me taking 6-7 hits with a diaomond shovel is kind of Wrong.

Yes I agree with this post. I am a healer and I dont wear any armor ever. Its pointless and it just ends up costing to much money. I don't know why they seem to be making it more tedious more then fun. To level you have to spend hours and hours and hours in front of spawners and running around and fighting mobs and they wonder why people afk farm. And with the more changes that come it seems like its getting less fun and more difficult and time consuming

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
Yesterday I went on around four raids. I only died once but I ended up using about 5-6 sets of iron armor. On one of the raids, my armor was half damaged by the time I got to the raid, just from falling off 1 or 2, 3-4 block high cliffs.

Bisu

TNT
Scale the mushroom soup to heal more, it's ridiculous I'll have to completely stop my pvp because my inventory can only hold as much soup as will heal me to full twice. That means long expeditions and continuous string pvp across the map is impossible for the solo player.

It's a really good idea to make healers more integral to the experience but food not being scaled completely negates their usability for all users. By food remaining the way it is it affects things like the iConomy where vendors can no longer profit off of bread/mushrooms/porkchops.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
It can't be changed at the moment, hence the reason why 'tanky' types or those who use heavy armor also gain more hp, when we are able to change durability, we will.

Don't want fall damage? Use safefall, eh?

We won't be scaling food items, period. This is by design and this is something we, as a hardcore server, do not want.

We will be scaling heals to do more healing. Don't like it? Get with a healer or buy more food.

R3xz

Glowstone
Minecraft was never geared for that type of gameplay anyway (like building a diverse group with healer, tank, dps). Not unless there's more contents and features generated.

In other MMORPG and RPG games there's dungeons, bosses, events, PvP maps, quests and all that kinda stuff that would require you to build a balance and optimized group or party for completing certain objectives. In minecraft, the online feature so far has only serve one primary purpose and that is to allow more than one people to build with each other so that they can complete a building or a town quicker than if one person did it. However when we put in this whole complex class and combat system in game, where there are no other features in place, it's kinda hard to expect people to naturally pair up in a party the majority of the time and be there whenever it is needed. The only time a healer and a dps class would want to pair up with each other is if they are both prepare to go to battle, but for those that are the target of the aggressor, there's a very unlikely chance that there won't be a healer available to support them. That's just how it is atm as far as I can predict.

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
I love the way that HC simulates war and friendship. Its great to see who's fighting who and who your fighting. Pvp is great, and most towns have one healer to help out in battles. As far as An MMOrpg, Herocraft is about as close as you can get in minecraft. If you need a healer friend, join a town. Not everyone can have the grandmaster healer, ;), But any healer will do. But most healers don't want to fallow someone at a dungeon or around a forest at night.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
You see limits, I only see obstacles to overcome.
We will have our own unique items, different gear sets, new monsters, accessories and such. We are operating in a skeleton game, with a very bright group of coders and community.

We are hardcore - never in our life of being a server have claimed to be something otherwise. Ignorance is a fool's folly. When I said that we were still tweaking aspects of the damage/health, I meant it
I'm not going to tell you how to play the game, some players aren't level 50 in their first path and play 5-6 hours a day. Why? they are just playing to play, not to 'grind' or level.

vudani

Legacy Supporter 4
I saw in game a comment about some regeneration features to various classes. An interesting idea would be using reagents from mobs for the spells to stimulate the economy as well as create good risk vs reward for fighting mobs. Crafter(wool) - rogue(pigmeat) - caster(string) - warrior(bone) - healer(feather). I personally like the idea of slow regeneration, nothing to imbalance pvp/pve but something to keep you moving.

RedKhan

Soulsand
I agree with the sentiment that hardcore and fun don't have to be separate ideals.

I do think that there needs to be a better way to recover health than to eat and entire field of wheat or locate a healer (They are few and far between) but from whats been said it sounds like that's already being worked on.