• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Whitelist] Higher pop limit for the server!

[Whitelist]--We need more slots for the server!

I understand that this has probably been suggested, but I think the server limit needs to be increased some what. The reason I am posting this is because I'm tired of reading "Server full, 87 of 89, you are position 11" & "End of stream" all day long.

I admit that I don't know how raising the pop limit on the server will affect it (whether it be lag or cost), but I think that this may be needed for those, like me, wanting to play on this server.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Frosty

Bremen20

Dirt
I agree with this bamf. There does need to be more slots to join in on because sitting here for 20 waiting to get on is not liked by many ._.

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
No. Horrible idea. There is lag already, upping the cap would just make it worse. In fact, i vote we LOWER the cap to around 60.

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
The machine at this cap should not really lag, it's only because HC is running so many plugins that it's laggy.
Hopefully it can be fixed by ironing out the code?

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Tweet @notch asking for multi-threading access for server owners and operators. Then you can have your increased server cap.

NeoGriim

Legacy Supporter 3
Tweet @notch asking for multi-threading access for server owners and operators. Then you can have your increased server cap.
Done. I think if we urged everyone to yell at notch about it we could get it patched into a 1.7.* update or possibly 1.8 depending on how difficult it is for him to code it into the game.

However 1.7 is out thursday and I doubt he'll have multi-theading in the game with this much time.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
It'd be a major overhaul to actually patch it in, but this and every server will be crushed under lag during high traffic until it gets done.

I was logged in today when the server was at only 50 players. We had 13/20 ticks. It was beautiful. Then it filled up to 81, and it was back to its old jittery self. Kainzo and the coding team work so hard trying to bring the lag down, but there's only so much one can do with the MC code, even with our powerful server and excellent colocation centre.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The machine at this cap should not really lag, it's only because HC is running so many plugins that it's laggy.
Hopefully it can be fixed by ironing out the code?
WRONG. We've run with 3 plugins and there was still lag - please do research before making these accusations.

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
Before I posted that post above , I have read some of the post from server admins trying to solve their lag on Bukkit, including some of yours. Someone mention a server was able to hold 800 players. You mentioned that the server weren't running plugins to achieve that.

I also played on another servers where the cap was 120, there was no lag there when cap was reached and when comparing the specs to yours. There was little difference that it can be neglected.
That is where I came to that assumption and also how you said:
"IIt helps that they were running only ONE plugin." I know it was a test to stress their server but taking that you said that it was running only one plugin seems to help with lag or performance.

I also see that you tried Ram Disk
OCing the CPU
Tweaking the performance of the stock setting
ETC..

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/how-can-i-optimize-my-i7-24gb-dedicated-server.3967/
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/challenge-100-players-one-map-no-physics-mob-lag.21665/#post-405815

Am I wrong in saying that it is the code that needs to be ironing out?
Minecraft is not using multiple cores by design, untill that it worked on and and any related performance bugs like packets are ironed out, don't you agreed?

Yea, I know that isn't research but only assumptions created from the dreams that this server could run better from the current hardware, but from recent post and experience from playing other servers I felt that it was possible.

Now bash me as you will, because these are only post but they are technically answers from people who have worked on the problem, I took their posting as serious suggestions and there is more from other sites. However I am sorry that I was wrong in saying that, but by logic I assumed that more plugins would be more work for the CPU, unless the hardware which I suggested in that post was handling it well enough.

RightLegRed

Stone
Before I posted that post above , I have read some of the post from server admins trying to solve their lag on Bukkit, including some of yours. Someone mention a server was able to hold 800 players. You mentioned that the server weren't running plugins to achieve that.

Said server had 1 plugin running, didn't allow players to mine blocks, place blocks and there was no terrain gen. People were literally in a chunk (16x16) and nothing else was allowed to load.

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
Said server had 1 plugin running, didn't allow players to mine blocks, place blocks and there was no terrain gen. People were literally in a chunk (16x16) and nothing else was allowed to load.

ahh that made more sense, even so 800 is going too far from the 100 which the server should be able to handle.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We will raise the cap - but not at the cost of performance. We are doing absolutely everything in our power to ensure you guys have a enjoyable experience.