• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Warrior Iron Sword vs Paladin Iron/Diamond Sword

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Why does the Paladin diamond sword do less than the Warrior iron sword (for at least the first 27 levels of Paladin)? It makes no real sense to me. Wouldn't any warrior spec class do better with a diamond weapon than base warrior iron sword?

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Back in DG, warrior had 5dmg iron sword (50dmg) and paladins had 4 or 3dmg iron sword. Dia did 4 or 5dmg for paladin then.

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Alrighty, then. So it's been there for awhile. The big question now is "why?" and "should it be changed?" Seems like it should. It doesn't really make sense to level up for 30 levels just to take worse damage on your primary weapon, unless the abilities are just supposed to be so much better than sword alone.

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Alrighty, then. So it's been there for awhile. The big question now is "why?" and "should it be changed?" Seems like it should. It doesn't really make sense to level up for 30 levels just to take worse damage on your primary weapon, unless the abilities are just supposed to be so much better than sword alone.
Paladins aren't meant to do much damage, they are usually a team player in groups and they are what people call the 'tank'. They take all the main damage, and because of their health/armour they're able to last a long(ish) time and hit the enemies a lot. If they were given a damage boost then they would just be insanely OP xD

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
I can understand the mathematical reason, but logic-wise, and role-play wise, it doesn't make much sense for a Paladin to do -less- damage, with a better sword type, than he/she did with a lesser sword type as a warrior. If Crafter-specs are only allowed exp types because it wouldn't be in character to give, say, farmers Mining exp, then I'm not sure why the in-character rule would be bent for warrior types with weapons. (except for math reasons, that is)

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Balance > Realism. Same for DK dia axe doing 45dmg and a ranger with the same axe being a ranged class doing more damage.

Aburido_burrito

Legacy Supporter 4
Why does the Paladin diamond sword do less than the Warrior iron sword (for at least the first 27 levels of Paladin)? It makes no real sense to me. Wouldn't any warrior spec class do better with a diamond weapon than base warrior iron sword?
Maybe because of the diamond chestplate and diamond pants!

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Yep. It's pretty damned silly but this was the hand we're dealt. I remember having a moment of complete confusion when I first noticed this back in DG- it's actually a little better balanced now than it was before. It may not be particularly realistic, but it is slightly more balanced, I guess.

Paladins have never really been good for killing things, especially other players. We're great against mobs because it's easy to outsmart and outlast them, and in PvP we draw a lot of attention (due to being so shiny), and have the ability to harass longer than other classes, but due to our low damage and lack of offensive skills, we'll never be particularly good with mindless slaughter.

And I'm pretty ok with that- as far as Paladins go, thematically, this makes sense.

Aburido_burrito

Legacy Supporter 4
Yep. It's pretty damned silly but this was the hand we're dealt. I remember having a moment of complete confusion when I first noticed this back in DG- it's actually a little better balanced now than it was before. It may not be particularly realistic, but it is slightly more balanced, I guess.

Paladins have never really been good for killing things, especially other players. We're great against mobs because it's easy to outsmart and outlast them, and in PvP we draw a lot of attention (due to being so shiny), and have the ability to harass longer than other classes, but due to our low damage and lack of offensive skills, we'll never be particularly good with mindless slaughter.

And I'm pretty ok with that- as far as Paladins go, thematically, this makes sense.
Actually I find it quite easy to fight as a paladin, people either die or rage and run away :)

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Actually I find it quite easy to fight as a paladin, people either die or rage and run away :)

:p One on one a paladin CAN kill, but most of the time I've tried this, people have ran away when things went bad, called in reinforcements, or, if they're actually -skilled-, they can usually kill me.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Impossible to be a class like Samurai and kill a Paladin. Yes we can weaken your healing abilties by 50%, but we have no Instant damage trough armor skills. If a paladin got Layhands ready, a milk bucket and armor with nice durability, it can beat any Melee class. Use a Caster to take down a Paladin, that's my best advice.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Impossible to be a class like Samurai and kill a Paladin. Yes we can weaken your healing abilties by 50%, but we have no Instant damage trough armor skills. If a paladin got Layhands ready, a milk bucket and armor with nice durability, it can beat any Melee class. Use a Caster to take down a Paladin, that's my best advice.

Any ranged class, really- we've got no range skills and nothing to help us close gaps. In a straight up melee fight we're tough to take down- but by that same right, it's very easy for other classes to run, making it tough for a paladin to get the kill.

Aburido_burrito

Legacy Supporter 4
no one has milk bookets

Mrchucklez

Legacy Supporter 6
Last map It was very hard to kill a paladin as a wizard, they tank everything i gave em and then before I knew it I had replenished and was out of mana

Well this is a 1v1 scenario

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Honestly, I hate this and I want to change it - its very hard to balance under the current system.

If we allow paladins to do "much more" damage - it'll offset the mitigation they have... and since we can't do physics so you actually move slower for wearing heavier armor... there's only a set number of things we can do to "draw back" the heavy damage hitters, less hp, less armor reqs etc.
Any ranged class, really- we've got no range skills and nothing to help us close gaps. In a straight up melee fight we're tough to take down- but by that same right, it's very easy for other classes to run, making it tough for a paladin to get the kill.
I do want to create a snare style skill for Paladins.... Maybe we can make it similar to that of Iceblade.
I can understand the mathematical reason, but logic-wise, and role-play wise, it doesn't make much sense for a Paladin to do -less- damage, with a better sword type, than he/she did with a lesser sword type as a warrior. If Crafter-specs are only allowed exp types because it wouldn't be in character to give, say, farmers Mining exp, then I'm not sure why the in-character rule would be bent for warrior types with weapons. (except for math reasons, that is)
Looking for a fix / change :) our system isnt without flaw.

If you didn't know, I usually play the "Paladin/Knight" in almost everything and I feel that this damage is just bad

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Honestly, I hate this and I want to change it - its very hard to balance under the current system.

If we allow paladins to do "much more" damage - it'll offset the mitigation they have... and since we can't do physics so you actually move slower for wearing heavier armor... there's only a set number of things we can do to "draw back" the heavy damage hitters, less hp, less armor reqs etc.
I do want to create a snare style skill for Paladins.... Maybe we can make it similar to that of Iceblade.
Looking for a fix / change :) our system isnt without flaw.

If you didn't know, I usually play the "Paladin/Knight" in almost everything and I feel that this damage is just bad

I love everything about this post.