• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Updated] Exploit Detection & Game Mechanics

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
In an effort to consolidate ways to nullify/remove the number of exploits used to the advantage of both people who get inside protected areas and for pvp advantages I would like to have a refined, clearly stated list here. (withholding information on how to actually do these, ofcourse.)

In an effort to remove exploiting from herocraft the following changes I feel would be required:

Suggestion: Fix region flags to restrict vehicle placement.
Game mechanics of certain objects need to be changed. Current mechanics allow placement in "invalid areas".

PROS:
Less exploiting on the server.
Less complaining and PE's about it.
CONS:
I can't really think of any.

Suggestion: Fix game mechanics of being inside of blocks, (specific)
Game mechanics of certain objects need to be changed. This is commonly known as "region lag." A simple fix to what I'm referring to could be as simple as letting players suffocate inside certain "Objects/Blocks" instead of moving them when relogging.

Framework could be implemented to capture your logging in and out near known exploit mechanics to capture people abusing them. This could be as simple as a block check at the players location and the forcing suffocation damage instead of teleporting the player to spawn, or some other alternative solution.

PROS:
  • Less exploiting on the server.
  • People could no longer abuse glitches in mechanics to enter areas they're not supposed to.
  • This would help nullify the worries of the new region height limits/restrictions.
  • Towns above ground would not have to worry about exploiters getting in from underneath.
  • Would add a certain Quirkyness to certain Objects.
CONS:
  • Players that accidentally get stuck could be killed.
  • Certain Objects could be used as a new style of traps to force suffocation damage of entities.
Suggestion: Change how the skill Blink works.
A player using blink or a blink-like skill should check the region of the space they are blinking to and from before moving/teleporting. It should be logged when used inside of regions so that there is functionality to catch exploiters.

PROS:
  • We could now catch them dirty wizard thieves abusing game mechanics.
CONS:
  • As a rule of thumb, if it appears they exploited, it might be good to check the blocks around the blink logs.
  • This needs to be done to make sure the structure wasn't built around it to make it appear like the accused player was exploiting.
  • If the above steps aren't at least taken into account, this change could be used to try and get wizards banned for just blinking around towns.
Suggestion: Hostile players setting their mark inside of towns that are not theirs should be able to be removed by mayors. Adding and implementing some code that allows mayors to wipe all marks inside their town region would be helpful to balance PVP and PVE aspects of herocraft.

PROS:
  • is simpler than doing this for non-citizens only in their town's region.
  • requires less coding than doing this in an advanced way.
  • would consume more iron ingots.
  • would reduce the amount of PE's about mark/recall.
  • would allow a mayor to fully kick someone or evict some one out of their town.
  • reduces the risk of players who haven't played in 6 months randomly logging into someone else's basement.
  • reduces the risk of players suffocating inside of walls after logging in after long lapses in activity and using recalls.
CONS:
  • means that PVPers' are obviously going to whine and QQ about this.
  • same people will think this ruins pvp when all it means is that you have to continually raid a town to get into it.
  • increases the difficulty of raiding towns
My opinions;

Including some simplistic forms of support for pro-builders will increase the life of the community.

Too many new players are camped by veteran pvpers who use exploits they know they can get by with, without the newbie realizing it was an exploit to begin with!

I believe there should be some forms of protection for those who want to build and some changes required to those who want to pvp. It is a hardcore server, right?

Exploiters who pvp get by with exploiting too easily, which is why it is as simple as ignoring the fact they're exploiting to begin with and choosing not to act which ruins the playing experience in my opinion.

I know that doing this means more time invested into building framework to catch people, and less time implementing other features first.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Agreed, the only way to get an exploiter punished is by catching him/her on video.

Also, using DoT skills trough fence/iron gates should be illegal. You shouldn't be able to attack trough blocks unless it's an AoE like pulse, IcyAura etc.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
There is a solid gate between us? No problem, i'll Mortally Wound you with my DoT skills!

donaldmax1

Soulsand
I agree with the punishing. I disagree with pe for a mark removal as this is a hard core server. Also if they read the rules they should know what's illegal and legal.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
People do illegal things on purpose Donald, when they know they won't be punished for it. That's what we wanna change, heck let them sit in a jail for 2 hours and get kicked if they stand afk for 2 min.

Aetosion

Obsidian
xexorian said:
Trapdoors, Glass panes, Iron fences, Boats, Minecarts, and a few other blocks would have to be removed unless the mechanics can be changed.
Lol

xexorian said:
Hostile players setting their mark inside of towns that are not theirs should be removed.
Lol?

xexorian said:
I believe there should be some forms of protection for those who want to build, and pvp.
Regions?

etkenn said:
Agreed, the only way to get an exploiter punished is by catching him/her on video.
Do this.

etkenn said:
Also, using DoT skills trough fence/iron gates should be illegal. You shouldn't be able to attack trough blocks unless it's an AoE like pulse, IcyAura etc.
Not illegal by admin confirmation, if you don't want to get hit with it, don't stand within the same block perimeters as the person using the skill.

xexorian said:
I still disagree with AOE working through solid objects, even glass windows.
Half the point of AoE?

donaldmax1 said:
Does HC even have a jail?
Lmao. Does "/ban name" not suffice?

c12095

Holy Shit!
You know, this really doesn't surprise me that you would post something this stupid xexorian...

Aetosion

Obsidian
I mean, I'd love to prevent exploits as well. Your methods however, Xexorian, are just far too extreme.

Hitler wanted to fix Germany's economy, rid the country of a political party on the other extreme which would have damaged the economy even more, and reclaim the pride of the German people. Noble goals, I suppose, but his methods in going about it were just far too radical. Similar principle.

macura

Diamond
In an effort to consolidate ways to nullify/remove the number of exploits used to the advantage of both people who get inside protected areas and for pvp advantages I would like to have a refined, clearly stated list here.

In an effort to remove exploiting from herocraft the following changes would be required:

A player trapped within blocks/items should take suffocation damage instead of being moved.
Trapdoors, Glass panes, Iron fences, Boats, Minecarts, and a few other blocks would have to be removed unless the mechanics can be changed.

Boats and Minecarts should have a region check before they are placed, and a water/rail check perhaps?

A player using blink or a blink-like skill should check the region of the space they are blinking to before moving/teleporting. It shouldn't be allowed inside of regions, wizards should be forced to use this skill in the wilderness until there is a better solution for region exploitation parameters. This is the second option instead of removing it altogether.

Hostile players setting their mark inside of towns that are not theirs should be removed. If a mayor PE's to have them removed there should be functionality to ease this process. There are over two dozen ways to exploit through solid blocks, doors, windows, fences, gates, etc. It should NOT be overlooked.

It would be retarded to say "Oh well" when the server at its roots included no-pvp inside town regions, and yet after being removed, still claims we are not a "Hardcore PVP" server. Pick one. Either PVP everywhere, or let smart people use regions to properly protect themselves, but not altogether.

Camping should be a chore, you should have to wait at their door for a prime opportunity to attack and get inside. I believe it's stupid that 1 person can ride a boat through your gate and set his mark, come back later and recall then group tele his whole party inside your personal region, admin regions, town region, etc. Combinations of Hero skills and exploiting are ruining the Herocraft experience.

Furthermore, I believe some of these issues are at the root of the problems for herocraft and including some simplistic form of support for pro-builders will increase the life of the community. Too many new players are camped by veteran pvpers who use exploits they know they can get by with, without the newbie realizing it was an exploit to begin with! Too many are camped in general as well. I believe there should be some forms of protection for those who want to build, and pvp. Not just PVPers, which is as simple as ignoring the fact they're exploiting to begin with and choosing not to act.

/my 2 cents.
Exploitation is annoying but this is the dumbest thing i have ever seen. If u hate pvp so much go hide in ur stupid box. Freedoms of the people of HC should not be taken away because of you whining.

A

alexhoff1

In an effort to remove exploiting from herocraft the following changes would be required:

A player trapped within blocks/items should take suffocation damage instead of being moved.

A player using blink or a blink-like skill should check the region of the space they are blinking to before moving/teleporting. It shouldn't be allowed inside of regions, wizards should be forced to use this skill in the wilderness until there is a better solution for region exploitation parameters. This is the second option instead of removing it altogether.

Hostile players setting their mark inside of towns that are not theirs should be removed. If a mayor PE's to have them removed there should be functionality to ease this process. There are over two dozen ways to exploit through solid blocks, doors, windows, fences, gates, etc. It should NOT be overlooked.

It would be retarded to say "Oh well" when the server at its roots included no-pvp inside town regions, and yet after being removed, still claims we are not a "Hardcore PVP" server. Pick one. Either PVP everywhere, or let smart people use regions to properly protect themselves, but not altogether.

Camping should be a chore, you should have to wait at their door for a prime opportunity to attack and get inside. I believe it's stupid that 1 person can ride a boat through your gate and set his mark, come back later and recall then group tele his whole party inside your personal region, admin regions, town region, etc. Combinations of Hero skills and exploiting are ruining the Herocraft experience.

Umm, let's just get this straight,

you want to remove common blocks,
you want to absolutely ruin blink,
you want marks removed from your "kingdom" towns,
you want people to do what they already do to get in legitly,
you say it ruins the experience and you've been back for a day now.

....Dahell?

EDIT: your town doesn't even have walls, so stop complaining.
EDIT2: Don't talk about how to exploit -.-

c12095

Holy Shit!
Thank you. Post constructive criticism next time, instead of trolling and trying to find flaws in reason where there are none.

You really need to get rid of your God Complex already, its getting a little pathetic. Are there fixes that need to be done? Yes. Are you on the right track for these fixes? Not with your attitude.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
I can edit out stuff if you need, I was more of wanting to post suggestions on how to fix so I thought it might belong here. Can we post exploit fixes/suggestions inside of the exploit reporting forum??

EDIT:

Updated to reflect professionalism and proper suggestion format.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Exploits, of any kind, must not be in the public eye. That's why we have exploit reporting forum that can only be viewed by admin/person who made it.