• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Treat Farms with the same anti-grief rules as buildings

FFLaguna

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm campaigning for protection for man-made farm constructions, such as a rule requiring would-be griefers to replant wheat and wood that comes out of man-made farms.

We already have anti-grief rules for player structures in the wilderness. Why not farms, which take time, effort, and planning to construct with irrigation and anti-step glass, and more time to grow each cycle? It seems there's a serious disconnect in our ruleset as far as how building and farms are handled.

I personally know of some enormous underground farm projects that can't ever be regioned off. We're talking 100x100 multi-level, multi-crop farms. If a player were to come in and steal or just destroy thousands of crops that were hand-planted, ruining several cumulative hours of player time, it would be nothing short of griefing. This shouldn't be allowed, and the anti-grief rules for farms should extend down to even the tiny 5x2 wheat farms I have seen around.

We already have anti-grief rules for constructions in the wilderness. We need the same protection for player-constructed farms in the wilderness. It's not an issue of being hardcore or not, unless you consider anti-grief rules in general to not be hardcore. Let's fix this oversight in our server's ruleset.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Frankly, so long as the farms are underground, I'd be interested to see if we couldn't start making some "farmland" rules, where people could buy farmland much the same as townships are bought and taxed (except much cheaper, of course). Thoughts, @Kainzo ?

Note: I say underground, because I'd rather not see large portions of the surface to terraformed into flower beds and wheat fields. Out of sight, out of mind, no?

FFLaguna

Legacy Supporter 5
Frankly, so long as the farms are underground, I'd be interested to see if we couldn't start making some "farmland" rules, where people could buy farmland much the same as townships are bought and taxed (except much cheaper, of course). Thoughts, @Kainzo ?

I think a simpler "don't grief farms unless you replant" rule is all that is needed to bring things in-line with the server's pre-existing griefing rules.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
I think a simpler "don't grief farms unless you replant" rule is all that is needed to bring things in-line with the server's pre-existing griefing rules.
Well, it implies the question "what is a farm?", which is a simple enough question but deserves a well-defined answer. Maybe a farm will just be a place where somebody builds and then says "this is a farm", or maybe an admin needs to poke their head in and agree, or any number of other things. Let's see what the founders think.

Anonymiter

Soulsand
I'd think this would constitute both a farm and a griefing. Its not like someone did it on accident. It was done to blatantly ruin what was there. See for yourself.

s4nouc.png

2w6b1o2.png

I already have a PE in about it. The douchebaggery involved is just unfathomable. Regardless of whether someone considers destroying something that will eventually be cut down "griefing"... its still a lot of floating trees!! I don't mind the stealing but stuff like this is just low.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Present rules:

You may not destroy other player's houses/structures in a town or in the wilderness.

- This rule does not apply to rare blocks - (Diamond Blocks, Gold Blocks, Iron Blocks, Lapis Lazuli Blocks)
- This rule does not apply to plants - (Flowers, Mushrooms, Pumpkins, Trees, Wheat)

Brutalacerate's wishful rules:

You may not destroy other player's property in a town or in the wilderness.

- If it's player owned, don't break it.
- This includes: (Blocks, Crops, Lava, Water, etc)

Darroes

Legacy Supporter 6
Whoever did that is a dick anonymiter, I don't understand how that can be allowed, griefing is when someone goes out of their way to destroy what someone has worked hard on. All plants should fall under the non-griefable materials list. I know Tempest has had it's entire mushroom farm stolen on a few occasions which is a major pain in the ass, we rely on it heavily. We should go back to only being able to steal diamond, gold, lapis and iron blocks from peoples wildy houses, although even iron is iffy as it's hardly got much value to it.

I would LIKE for pumpkins to be non-stealable, but I believe that they could (perhaps should) fall under the "rare blocks" category.

I am personally being okay with my crops being stolen, so long as they are replanted (i.e. leave a couple mushrooms left). But if farms simply become untouchable in general, I would be more than happy with that.

+1

FFLaguna

Legacy Supporter 5
I would LIKE for pumpkins to be non-stealable, but I believe that they could (perhaps should) fall under the "rare blocks" category.

I am personally being okay with my crops being stolen, so long as they are replanted (i.e. leave a couple mushrooms left). But if farms simply become untouchable in general, I would be more than happy with that.

+1

This. I want my crops replanted if they're stolen. Even if that means my crops have to start growing all over again, it's the least I can ask and avoids the definition of "griefing" in my book.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Present rules:

You may not destroy other player's houses/structures in a town or in the wilderness.

- This rule does not apply to rare blocks - (Diamond Blocks, Gold Blocks, Iron Blocks, Lapis Lazuli Blocks)
- This rule does not apply to plants - (Flowers, Mushrooms, Pumpkins, Trees, Wheat)

Brutalacerate's wishful rules:

You may not destroy other player's property in a town or in the wilderness.

- If it's player owned, don't break it.
- This includes: (Blocks, Crops, Lava, Water, etc)

The only difference between these two rule sets is that yours has no exceptions to the "don't break it" rule; is that right, Brutal? To most easily enforce these new rules, we could use very liberal region sizes (i.e. as big as your structures). For farms where everybody needs build access, we could openly report the names (on request) of any people who break blocks. Is this what we want?

EDIT:
I'd think this would constitute both a farm and a griefing. Its not like someone did it on accident. It was done to blatantly ruin what was there. See for yourself.

<pics>

I already have a PE in about it. The douchebaggery involved is just unfathomable. Regardless of whether someone considers destroying something that will eventually be cut down "griefing"... its still a lot of floating trees!! I don't mind the stealing but stuff like this is just low.

Floating trees are doubleplusungood. This is unacceptable, and the culprit will be dealt with.

Darroes

Legacy Supporter 6
This. I want my crops replanted if they're stolen. Even if that means my crops have to start growing all over again, it's the least I can ask and avoids the definition of "griefing" in my book.

I can agree with that, I'd view them taking the plants as stealing which is okay. But them not replanting them as griefing as that is a lot of work to replant them all.

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6

+1

Pumpkins are too rare and valuable to be a non-stealable block. Their needed for capitol and they look cool. Any caught outside a ring will be stolen (by me of course)

About the crops, i dont really mind people stealing my crops, but they need to replant. That should just be a rule. If were trying to reduce the amount of douche-baggery on the server their are just certain rules that need to be enforced.

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6
mobs weather friendly or enemy, when walking on your crops, will destroy them, so players might as well be able to also.

1) it should be noted (if only for stupid people like myself) that crops = wheat and =/= other plants.
2) My crops (wheat) are always 100% protected from mobs. A closed off area, well lit, with no grass. It is impossible for a mob to get in there, so that is no reason to allow a player to play "mob" and steal my crops. I denounce that argument.

R3xz

Glowstone
Hi - monsters can trample farms (any animals) just like players could :p

Monster can't trample protected farm, although any player can break any barrier and do w/e they want to the farm.

FFLaguna

Legacy Supporter 5
Monster can't trample protected farm, although any player can break any barrier and do w/e they want to the farm.
Kainzo's not being serious, he's just throwing in some confusion to the thread as a distraction while he's on vacation. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing this small, community-oriented ruleset change made in the near future.