• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Towny Mayor Suggestion

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
So, The problem I've found, and have, is that the Mayor of the town isn't always on, and sometimes you need something done that only they can do.
So the idea is that there should be a rank between SiC and Mayor that has all the same perms as Mayor
This is possible to do, just not sure the actual labor needed. I found the idea also suggested here
http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/towny/issues/detail?id=1697

Another way would be to have 2 mayors, but i'm 90% sure Towny doesn't support that.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
So, The problem I've found, and have, is that the Mayor of the town isn't always on, and sometimes you need something done that only they can do.
So the idea is that there should be a rank between SiC and Mayor that has all the same perms as Mayor
This is possible to do, just not sure the actual labor needed. I found the idea also suggested here
http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/towny/issues/detail?id=1697

Another way would be to have 2 mayors, but i'm 90% sure Towny doesn't support that.
I just wanna say this was my idea so ya, plagiarism

Celvick

Legacy Supporter 7
If you are in a town that doesn't have an active mayor why not leave and make your own town? Having been a SIC I rarely ran into something that I couldn't handle myself, would you mind giving examples of what a SIC can't do that you want them to be able to do? Lets not forget that the rank of Mayor is meant to have all the authority over his/her town.

To me, it doesn't really make sense to add a rank that is higher than Second-in-Command, so maybe you should suggest that SIC's are given more commands, although once again I'm not sure what you want them to be able to do.

But in the end if your mayor isn't active, why not talk to him/her about stepping down from the position, or you could, like I mentioned earlier, leave and make your own town.

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
If you are in a town that doesn't have an active mayor why not leave and make your own town? Having been a SIC I rarely ran into something that I couldn't handle myself, would you mind giving examples of what a SIC can't do that you want them to be able to do? Lets not forget that the rank of Mayor is meant to have all the authority over his/her town.

To me, it doesn't really make sense to add a rank that is higher than Second-in-Command, so maybe you should suggest that SIC's are given more commands, although once again I'm not sure what you want them to be able to do.

But in the end if your mayor isn't active, why not talk to him/her about stepping down from the position, or you could, like I mentioned earlier, leave and make your own town.
It's not that the mayor isn't active. I'm not going to leave the town either, I'm the one mining it out. Mostly has to do with Perm stuff, and I know towny a lot better than he does.

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
Since I am not a mayor, only a SiC, I'm not sure which ones are disabled by the server, and which are disabled because of rank.
The one that pops out obviously at me is any /towny set perm command

Celvick

Legacy Supporter 7
It's not that the mayor isn't active. I'm not going to leave the town either, I'm the one mining it out. Mostly has to do with Perm stuff, and I know towny a lot better than he does.
Then why don't you help him understand the system more? If he is the mayor he should be the one settings all the perms up.

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
Then why don't you help him understand the system more? If he is the mayor he should be the one settings all the perms up.
Celvik, while I appreciate the input, I also don't think you quite understand the situation i'm in enough. The mayor is the Mayor. I'm not leaving, I did most of the work (So far), I could teach him how to do stuff, but he's not always available, I am (I'm home 20 hours a day). That why the suggestion was for a new rank. If you needed to use it, you could, if not, you don't have to, it doesn't hurt anyone, only opens up new possibilities.

Do you mean /town set perm? See "Setting perms in-game with commands" on this page.
Yes, i know the perms very well. I can't use them as SiC. If I try and use /town set perms i simply get "You do not have enough permissions for that command"

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Yes, i know the perms very well. I can't use them as SiC. If I try and use /town set perms i simply get "You do not have enough permissions for that command"

You will know the commands much better than I which I why I asked for specific information. You mentioned /towny set perms and that command doesn't appear to exist.

There are set perms for /town, /resident and /plot - so I'm wanting to know which you are referring to, please. Also please explain - for my edification - exactly what the command does? I'm understanding that it relates to managing plots for the town - is this correct?

Not trying to be difficult, lol - just need clear and unambiguous information to move forward with, please.

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
You will know the commands much better than I which I why I asked for specific information. You mentioned /towny set perms and that command doesn't appear to exist.

There are set perms for /town, /resident and /plot - so I'm wanting to know which you are referring to, please. Also please explain - for my edification - exactly what the command does? I'm understanding that it relates to managing plots for the town - is this correct?

Not trying to be difficult, lol - just need clear and unambiguous information to move forward with, please.
Sorry. I thought you were directing me to the commands themselves. I understand now. It's the "/town set perm" command that I'm referring to, we're going to use it, basically, so our nation can open doors and use switches in all nation towns.

Also just noticed I can't /town toggle anything, Fire, Mobs, Etc
I know Fire is toggleable and PvP is not, not sure about the others.

Guardian787

Legacy Supporter 9
Sorry. I thought you were directing me to the commands themselves. I understand now. It's the "/town set perm" command that I'm referring to, we're going to use it, basically, so our nation can open doors and use switches in all nation towns.

Also just noticed I can't /town toggle anything, Fire, Mobs, Etc
I know Fire is toggleable and PvP is not, not sure about the others.

I believe /town toggle is turned off for even mayors, which it should be since otherwise players can turn pvp off, mobs on, they are all set the way they should be and those ones can't be changed. The permission ones like /town set perm switch on or off is what he is referring too.

As mentioned in a previous post, it may be time to rethink your chain of command hierarchy so that you take over as mayor.

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
I believe /town toggle is turned off for even mayors, which it should be since otherwise players can turn pvp off, mobs on, they are all set the way they should be and those ones can't be changed. The permission ones like /town set perm switch on or off is what he is referring too.

As mentioned in a previous post, it may be time to rethink your chain of command hierarchy so that you take over as mayor.
As far as I was aware, toggle is not turned off worldwide, because towns could toggle on fire if needed for decoration or cauldrens. as for the others, yes, i am refering to /town set perm on/off and other sub commands.

I'm not going to explain again that I can't take over as mayor. I won't take over as mayor. It's not always the best solution.