• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [townships] mayor block check tool

Would this be helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perhaps but I like stealing without consequence

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Almost every town has rules about griefing the structures of others or the town. Many also have security rules asking members not to dig through walls and such. However finding the people responsible can often be very difficult.

Mayors can of course pe griefing and the like, leave the security breach while they wait for Admins to respond and tell them who griefed so that they can be banned from town, from server too perhaps.

Still it would be far more efficient for all involved if Mayors had a tool that would allow them to see the recent block changes. For instance on my last server Mayors could see the block log of a given block by right clicking on that block with a wooden pick. If a hole was found in a home or a town wall mayors could place a dirt block in the space and then check the log.

Such a tool of course would not put an end to the behavior entirely and Mayors would still need to locate the hole. What such tool would do is allow mayors to dicipline the responsible party if it was simple irresponsibility, or remove them if it was malicious.

I know some of you will say that Mayors need to catch them in the act and that its part of the game. Please post such nonsense here so that your mayor will know who the culprit is. As for the rest of us we know that actually catching someone in an online enviroment where people live in different timezones and even countries is nearly impossible.

I think such a tool would also lend itself quite well to the Karma system proposed by @Kainzo. As it stands players who would let raiders in or steal from a town have alot to gain and very little real chance of getting caught. If there was a tool that let Mayors know without a doubt that a certain player was responsible for helping raiders enter the town they could not only kick them but let other towns know to beware.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I'll leave critiquing of the idea to others, but Guides have that ability already. Personally and as server staff I'm willing to go use it for anybody who wants it.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Not all towns has the time to go around asking for Guides to walk over and blocklog. This is also dangerous as the Guide can kill you/mark inside your town.

Maybe allow for Mayors and SiC's because Mayors also go on vacation every now and then leaving a Manager/Managers behind.

Kourne

Legacy Supporter 3
I support this idea, but I remember hearing somewhere that granting those abilities to more people could cause more lag. (Might be wrong, don't flame.)
Anyway, every now and again I wish I had this ability to check for possible "moles".
It is really hard to trust new members at this rate, even if you got to know them.
I am hoping for the best, but this will propably be turned down by admins, sadly.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
I'll leave critiquing of the idea to others, but Guides have that ability already. Personally and as server staff I'm willing to go use it for anybody who wants it.
Guides are not supposed to have the ability to use HawkEye any more.
@Kainzo

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
@EtKEnn I agree it would be useful for the SiC to also have acess to the command. I'm not sure how you could stop it there though. Unless they can fix the ranking for SiC it should stop at mayor. It would be too difficult to go through individually and give Mayors SiCs the perms, then adjusting every time a town changes hands, and some towns have several managers. If they were to grant the perms to all players Town Manager and higher thats alot of people wandering around with a powerful tool.
As for asking a guide to check, I see a few issues with that. First staff are players too, Guides even more so, I'm not sure I am comfortable giving anyone who is not at least a mod preferably an Admin access to all the inner workings of the town. Especially given that they could then as a player return to raid it with a complete knowledge of the layout and security. Also one town asking once in a while for a guide/mod to come check the block log would probably be no big deal. That is not likely to be the case though. Finding a few misplaced blocks once could be carelessness, most mayors will want to find several instances of a player leaving access open to establish a pattern before acting. Also towns are pretty big, you may not find all the instances at once. Having to pe or request a Guide/Mod in the help chat every time is going to waste alot of the mayors time and theirs. If Mayors and if Possible SiCs could find the instances and screen shot them they could choose to discipline them if it was carelessness, expell them if it was maliciousness, or report them in the most grievous instances. What do you think @Kainzo, @Alator, @bearcat99, @Apherdite?

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
@EtKEnn I agree it would be useful for the SiC to also have acess to the command. I'm not sure how you could stop it there though. Unless they can fix the ranking for SiC it should stop at mayor. It would be too difficult to go through individually and give Mayors SiCs the perms, then adjusting every time a town changes hands, and some towns have several managers. If they were to grant the perms to all players Town Manager and higher thats alot of people wandering around with a powerful tool.
As for asking a guide to check, I see a few issues with that. First staff are players too, Guides even more so, I'm not sure I am comfortable giving anyone who is not at least a mod preferably an Admin access to all the inner workings of the town. Especially given that they could then as a player return to raid it with a complete knowledge of the layout and security. Also one town asking once in a while for a guide/mod to come check the block log would probably be no big deal. That is not likely to be the case though. Finding a few misplaced blocks once could be carelessness, most mayors will want to find several instances of a player leaving access open to establish a pattern before acting. Also towns are pretty big, you may not find all the instances at once. Having to pe or request a Guide/Mod in the help chat every time is going to waste alot of the mayors time and theirs. If Mayors and if Possible SiCs could find the instances and screen shot them they could choose to discipline them if it was carelessness, expell them if it was maliciousness, or report them in the most grievous instances. What do you think @Kainzo, @Alator, @bearcat99, @Apherdite?
If they added a way in the HTTP so SiC would have 'Owner' status, it wouldn't be a problem.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
I've not seen that anywhere. The only change to Guide I've seen is they can no longer view PEs.
I do not have permissions for HawkEye and any petition I create asking about it gets closed saying Guides no longer have the ability to use HawkEye.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I still have it and since it's a Guide ability I'm offering it other people. Other than that.... shrug. I don't know why they would have disabled it, unless it's like what (I assume) happened with the PEs, and dumb people keep us from having nice things.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Wholeheartedly agree, great idea @j2gay.

However, the subregions that staff were allegedly working on would work just as well.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Subregions? I am unaware. Please explain?
Sub regions for towns were last used in Sanctum. Mayors were able to create regions within the town region that only certain people had permission to. Think Noble plots in spawn.
There has been countless discussions about them since Zeal.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Sub regions for towns were last used in Sanctum. Mayors were able to create regions within the town region that only certain people had permission to. Think Noble plots in spawn.
There has been countless discussions about them since Zeal.

Yea, the sub regions we had on Sanctum would honestly resolve a lot of the problems seen within towns today with town theft and griefing.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
It sounds like it could be a viable option. The only I way I see subregioning working correctly is if we could turn off build permissions in the entire town. Grant them only to trusted people. Then subregion everyones individual area for them and management only. Then create subregions for any entrances/exits that need build permissions for access.
Therein lies what is very likely the largest problem. Not only is that alot of work but it doesn't cut to the heart of the matter. If the Theft is in common areas, or leaving entrances open so that friends (not in town)can access storage areas it solves nothing. Residents may not be able to steal from each other as easily, but stealing from town or letting raiders in will still be a relatively low risk enterprise.
If mayors were to have a world gaurd block check tool it is very likely that they would never need to use it. Removing the cloak of annonymity would deter most from the act. Those brazen enough to perfom such acts knowing with near certainty that they would be discovered would quikly be expelled as well as finding it difficult to procure new housing arrangements.
I can see sub regioning as having a moderate effect at mitigating these issue. It would seem however that these paultry gains would come from a massive exertion of effort.

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
The amount of times they've knocked back sub regioning is insane, I pushed hard for it last map and was told it was in the works, we're yet to see it. Honestly as far as mayor's ease and control went Sanctum was the best map by far. The mayor was very easily able to control who went where in a town, give new members a simple 10x10x20 plot that couldnt be exceeded due to it being its own region and it ensured that irritated townies or defectors couldn't let in the baddies.

It allows you to restrict building within a town to the current project for example and protect other areas of the town to certain members etc. Control is good as a mayor, I'm sure there is a way for HTTP for us to get the master region then create sub regions providing they are within the master region?

EtKenn, I disagree but agree with you on a few points, firstly as a mayor you should definitely be the most active player within a township, yes its ok to have a holiday occasionally but from what I've seen on bastion a lot of mayors these days are rarely active. Before we can actually go about giving SIC's control and what not there needs to be a way to limit how many SiC's a town may have. A bit like sanctum when there was simply a Mayor and a SiC.

Though we will probably never go back to the days of sanctum and free reign with regions it would be nice to see mayors given a bit more control over their town. Perhaps we can integrate permissions into hawkeye in such a way that a Mayor can only view the logs for blocks within the region.

Either that or get a guide in every town. There are a lot of guides, and if they're active 5 minutes to check some logs to find a culprit generally doesn't hurt them... Thats why they are guides right?