• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion To reduce lag.

Something like this may already be in the works but meh I'll post it anyways.

So today Kainzo said that it was entities that were causing the majority of the lag so my idea was this if possible.
Remove mobs(Hostile) from the main world and bring back a system like mob arenas,The reason I think this might help/work is because I constantly hear people saying that they can't find any mobs yet on a daily basis I go to the edge of the map and look for places to raid and always find a ton of mobs..
So I'm not sure exactly but that could mean they're loading un-used-seldom used chunks and they're also where most people don't go so they are useless there.

Sorry if this is a useless suggestion but I thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks for your time:doc.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Mob arenas won't be coming back to Herocraft. Dungeons are however in the works.

MAs wouldn't really do anything for the lag. It's just adding even more entities into the server.

Not a bad idea - we're hoping we can do something like that and have mob-dungeons :)

That sounds cool!
Just a side thought on that have you seen the castles that spawn mobs in the feed the beast client?
Would something like that be possible or even having the dungeons work by getting harder the lower you go?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
That sounds cool!
Just a side thought on that have you seen the castles that spawn mobs in the feed the beast client?
Would something like that be possible or even having the dungeons work by getting harder the lower you go?
Not easily but that will hopefully be what happens

HoldMyPie

Legacy Supporter 8
Not easily but that will hopefully be what happens
How about if you were to prevent mobs from spawning under y=60. This would reduce the mobs drastically, stop people from qqing about leveling, remove darkrooms and spawner grinding and stuff like that. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to code a plugin like that. It's not like we really are meant to use mobs underground.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
How about if you were to prevent mobs from spawning under y=60. This would reduce the mobs drastically, stop people from qqing about leveling, remove darkrooms and spawner grinding and stuff like that. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to code a plugin like that. It's not like we really are meant to use mobs underground.
That isnt a bad idea... but may have some issues with limiting.

You little thread jacker!! jkjk.
Seems like a good idea.

FuzLogix

Legacy Supporter 7

Yeah I was gonna say that :p

I think that with miners having UltraVision they don't place any torches, this just leads to huge grids of dark spaces for the mobs to spawn.

So yeah, making them spawn only above a certain level makes sense.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
I also think this would be a good idea - but maybe not at y=60. What is sea level ? Maybe within like 5 blocks of sea level - so if sea level is 55 then mobs would spawn in y=50+. Y=60 may be a bit high for a lot of the swamps and low level areas.

macura

Diamond
I am not sure that it is completely mobs though. Sometimes i stay up late and play hc when only around 40 people are on and hc runs seamlessly. It is incredible how much if a difference there is.

HoldMyPie

Legacy Supporter 8
I am not sure that it is completely mobs though. Sometimes i stay up late and play hc when only around 40 people are on and hc runs seamlessly. It is incredible how much if a difference there is.
Mobs are still a huge problem. Less people online means less people wondering the wilderness and filling up caves with mobs. The other thing is that player themselves lag the server at high player rates, it's just something that cannot be helped, but at peak times, more people are out in the map lagging up the server by spawning all the mobs.

So Kainzo if the coders wrote up a plugin to not allow AGRESSIVE mobs underground (y=55that's 9 blocks below sea level), it would fix a ton of problems including lag and abusing spawners and shit.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Less people, less mobs, less chunks in memory.

There is an exponential increase when more players are involved.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
I also think this would be a good idea - but maybe not at y=60. What is sea level ? Maybe within like 5 blocks of sea level - so if sea level is 55 then mobs would spawn in y=50+. Y=60 may be a bit high for a lot of the swamps and low level areas.
Y=60 is (last I checked) exactly 5 blocks below sea level.