• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Titles for Returning Offenders/Rule Violators

Nevinryal

Glowstone
I think that it would be appropriate for a certain title to be enforced to replace either the prefix or suffix of players who have returned now but in the past seriously violated some rule or caused considerable violation in the past.

They should get a title but it should be something along the lines of Misfit, Outlaw, Unworthy, Reject, Suspect, etc so that other players in the community will be aware of their tendency towards bad/destructive behavior and thus encourage them NOT to continue Cheating or Violate rules in the first place.

This would ultimately NOT be a title one could CHOOSE but be forced to carry until such time they have showed that have made the move to play the game properly and at which point could then purchase/pay for their freedom from their crime through an option/donation in the SHOP.

I feel this would help support the server and be a means to discourage violators in the past from repeating offenses and discourage future violators from playing the game unfairly or abusively. Other possibilities could include a reduction/adjustment in their xp tables for repeat offenses and so forth and so on.

RagingDragon5

Portal
I think that it would be appropriate for a certain title to be enforced to replace either the prefix or suffix of players who have returned now but in the past seriously violated some rule or caused considerable violation in the past.

They should get a title but it should be something along the lines of Misfit, Outlaw, Unworthy, Reject, Suspect, etc so that other players in the community will be aware of their tendency towards bad/destructive behavior and thus encourage them NOT to continue Cheating or Violate rules in the first place.

This would ultimately NOT be a title one could CHOOSE but be forced to carry until such time they have showed that have made the move to play the game properly and at which point could then purchase/pay for their freedom from their crime through an option/donation in the SHOP.

I feel this would help support the server and be a means to discourage violators in the past from repeating offenses and discourage future violators from playing the game unfairly or abusively. Other possibilities could include a reduction/adjustment in their xp tables for repeat offenses and so forth and so on.

The only thing about this is that the titles are cool. I would suggest not having a word title but something like "XXXXXX"

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
If there is anything the Karma system taught us during Bastion, it was that people will do everything available just to acquire specific titles or name colors.

If you create something that is granted upon breaking rules, people will break rules to get that "something", regardless of what it is. It will become a goal at which players will wish to complete. You do not want this.

Last edited:

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
If there is anything the Karma system taught us during Bastion, it was that people will do everything "available" just to acquire specific titles or name colors.

If you create something that is "granted" upon breaking rules, people will break rules to get those titles, regardless of what they are. It will become a 'goal' at which players will wish to complete. You do not want this.
I definitely agree here and it is rather unfortunate that this is the case.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
Agreed... ppl are crazy for titles, this will have the opposite effect.

Nevinryal

Glowstone
Oh they can have the titles. Attach an xp REDUCTION to the people holding the titles and they can decide if it was WORTH violating the rules just to get.

Nevinryal

Glowstone
I do like RagingDragon's suggestion of going with something slightly different, perhaps a simple single character tag at the end.

And if that seems to draw TONS of people then Kainzo could always throw in the 50% exp reduction, inability to remove/adjust name/penalty, and 6 month wait on top of having to pay a cash fee to have the penalties removed.

If it's HALF as popular as you all fear. Then the server will generate millions from idiots who violate rules and STILL support the server done and done. I hope you are right about people signing up for this, I can see it now. HeroCon Fall of 2014 in Houston Texas. Maybe even a store. ;D

Nevinryal

Glowstone
Also, I remember the Karma system on Bastion map Delf. And you know as well as I do it also wasn't really able to reach fruition due to issues making it actually affect gameplay. There weren't any real established penalties for being Evil or Good.

• So there was literally nothing dissuading people from being/doing bad things. Though some people really did try to have Good/Neutral/Evil towns. What it needed was some tangible penalty/reward system for doing/avoiding certain behavior. Haven was possibly going that way towards the end with a Penalty to ELO for killing people below your own Level but again, there was a lot going on towards the end and still is. I think things like those, if implemented in a more tangible way could make for some interesting dynamics in the future.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
We have Title Incentives to obey the rules: Veteran, Elite, Elder, Ancient, Legend

We should have Title Disincentives to break the rules too: Globally muted Players lose permission to use titles , or for a certain amount of time after a ban, or just as a lesser form of discipline.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We have Title Incentives to obey the rules: Veteran, Elite, Elder, Ancient, Legend

We should have Title Disincentives to break the rules too: Globally muted Players lose permission to use titles , or for a certain amount of time after a ban, or just as a lesser form of discipline.
We can start removing currency and purchases, i suppose

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
We can start removing currency and purchases, i suppose
The Permanent removal of Purchases is not something I suggested, I would find that would make store purchases less appealing. But by all means an offending player could lose all access to titles/pet commands for a week, if their crime warranted allowing them to still be active on the server.

edit: This is a stronger disincentive to people who hear about it than the actual player who loses Titles/Pets for a time. The actual player will feel relieved they can still level/play without true handicaps, while the server population will still not want to be punished like the player was. Some people might argue that makes this less effective, but in my opinion its a win-win for keeping the crowd in line.