• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Total War: Rome II thread

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Anyone else excited about it? I can't wait untill 2013, going to be awesome! Rome Total War has always been my favorite game, due to several factors: There are few unit ablilities (In NTW and Shogun 2, there is tons), Mercenaries can be hired (Allows boosting your army's ranks without having to wait X amount of turns producing your own troops) and it's in my favorite History Era.

This game is going to be so epic.

screenshot_285932_thumb_wide940.jpg

TotalWar_RomeII_1.jpg

TotalWar_RomeII_2.jpg

screenshot_285931_thumb_wide620.jpg

All these pictures are actual In Battle screenshots taken by Creative Assembly, in the battle Siege of Carthage.
Some information sites for Rome II:

Official Page
Trailer
FAQ, one of the developers are replying to questions.

Official forums

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
More screenshots:

A lot of the effects that normally appear under siege battles, with siege towers going for the walls/burning down after being hit by defending Fire arrows. Onager holing Stone set on fire over the walls/into the walls to breach them. Units of hundreds of indvidual soldiers moving towards the walls.​
c8032016aeebad26e258f4e90ccb1680_content_gallery.jpg
Close combat view, in the last few years, close combat quality has been improved greatly. It isn't a battle of 5000 clones anymore, it's a battle of 5000 indviduals (Battles often come up in 5000+ troops fielded when two medium+ sized armies clash)​
d2aeacd8938a65c1f2eaaefdf0a09a74_content_gallery.jpg
Soldiers can create their own defences on the battlefield against arrows/cavalary etc.​
004293a1b5c8f75ec29c54a203eaca8d_content_gallery.jpg
In Rome II, battles will be taking place in the city itself in high detail, unlike Shogun 2, NTW and ETW. This is another feature brought back from Rome: Total War.​
23b39571cd3773fed97d1715703011d0_content_gallery.jpg
Once again, all these screenies are taken by Creative Assembly and it's In Game action.​

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
I used to play a primitive version of this called Legion Arena, on my old iBook G4. Memories...

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Even more Screenshots:​
A new thing for Rome: Naval battles, in the past there wasn't any manual naval battles for Rome, it was first implemented for ETW, NTW and Shogun 2. Rome II will be the first Rome game with naval battles.​
total-war-rome-2-screenshot-008.jpg
More siege pictures, showing how units defends the walls of a city while the (In this case) Romans are leaping onto the wall from their siege tower.​
total-war-rome-2-screenshot-010.jpg
The closest soldier here would be a Preatorian Cohort soldier. I believe so by looking at his high quality armor and helmet. The units right behind would be more regular legionaries. (Preatorian Cohort was an Elite type of soldier often used as bodyguards)​
total-war-rome-2-screenshot-011.jpg
Carthaginian Elephant unit trying to beat back the roman assault, while romans are going trough the buildings burning/pillaging them. Carthaginian troops are placed at random roof tops, taking flank shots on the Romans advancing towards the town Center.​
total-war-rome-2-screenshot-012.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1346864163,1346864005][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sorry, it was a spinoff then. Extremely similar, but older. Made by a company called Freeverse.

mcneil_1.jpg
This game looks like an older version of Rome Total War, possibly an attempt to copy Rome Total War, it has like simple Unit cards and stuff. If SEGA was like Apple, they would sue them xD (An Apple joke, so original!)

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
If SEGA was like Apple, Freeverse as a company would be destroyed by now. Their games completely fit the "indie mac game" stereotype.

Rome Total War is much more in-depth. No actual sieges in Legion Arena; everything was one field battle after another, slowly escalating in difficulty.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
In Rome, you play in a campaign or Multiplayer. All the screenies are from In Battle, but none from the Campaign management map. You control your towns, your economy and food storages. Like, you need to upgrade financial buildings like Roads, Markets or Ports to make Trade income and upgrade Barracks, stables and archery ranges for new type of troops. However, you can't just go Port - Shipwright - Dockyard, you gotta reach a certain number in your population of that one town and make a new Governement building to expand it for new and better types of buildings. Once you reach a population of 24 000, you have access to build any building (But of course, the better buildings cost a ton and takes a lot of time to build, like 6-10 turns). The population growth is affected by: Tax rates (The lower tax rates, happier people and more growth), management of the Governor/General/Family Member (The higher management level your character has, the more growth/happiness) and buildings (Temples, Arenas and Hippodromes all increases the happiness of population ~ Growth).

You have characters (Family members, Generals or Governors) who can lead your armies. Characters gives extra Moral to your troops in battle and possibly other buffs depending on his traits. You can get new Family members by birth or letting someone marry themself into your Family. (Or adoption of Commanders who has proven themselves in battle). Units for armies can be created in provinces. Every province has one Village/Town/Minor City/City/Huge City. The larger, the more buildings you can make in the province. More buildings, better troops. The troops of course has an upkeep cost and they can only be trained 1 unit (Most units of infantery are around 80 men if you play as a Roman Family, 80 was the historic size of Cohorts) every turn. If you're inside someone else's province (ex: Roman army is inside a Greek province), the army will suffer winter attrition when it's winter. (Every year got 4 turns on Rome Total War, but possibly more in Rome 2).

I actually find messing around on the campaign map managing towns/characters/armies is just as fun as playing the battles for victory in the campaign.

Did I mention cities can rebel if your population is unhappy? If like, a Roman army take over a Carthaginian town ,lets say Lilybaeum, and they leave Lilybaeum with like 2 units in garrison right after they took it and marches on for Syracause (Another town on sicily), the Lilybaeum will most likely Rebel and try take their city back. Back in 2004 and Rome Total War, AI was pretty crappy. It would make all kinds of bad moves on the battlefield and make nuisance stuff on the campaign map. In a lot of cases, the rebels gets a huge Gold experienced army (Max experience) full of Elite troops that marches into the rebelling town and makes it a Carthaginian town again (If the town originally was a part of Carthage) However, in the last Total War games, AI has become a valiant enemy on the battlefield and they make much less nuisance moves. (Thank God)

This was just some random info I wrote, dunno why. Just want to heads up people about this amazing upcoming game! It really requires strategy and cleverness to maintain all your provinces secure and to win against an enemy force much larger then yours.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
I really like RTW and NTW, but especially RTW. I find the campaigns the best part of it, all the diplomacy and campaigning etc. I'm excited for this!

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I really like RTW and NTW, but especially RTW. I find the campaigns the best part of it, all the diplomacy and campaigning etc. I'm excited for this!
Agreed! The Multiplayer can wait, I am jumping right into a Roman campaign shortly followed by the Greek campaign once this comes out!

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
Currently I've got 2 main campaigns going, one as the Eastern Empire, and the other one as the Sassanids. The Sassanids are so easy to play as!

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Currently I've got 2 main campaigns going, one as the Eastern Empire, and the other one as the Sassanids. The Sassanids are so easy to play as!
You playing Barbarian Invasion expansion pack? Because Eastern Empire doesn't excist in the Vanilla game :p

Rome is too OP in RTW imo, the heavy infantery is mobile and good Defence and attack. They even got missiles (Pilum). In Rome 2, they are balancing Rome though (Which is great). I might do a Gallic or Carthaginian Campaign aswell.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Yeah, barbarian extension pack is awesome.
Mhmm, I like the vanilla game better though. I am doing a Greek campaign right now, fighting for control over Greece (But Macedon got many huge armies in Greece, while I spread my armies out on the colonies :/) and Sicily (Scipii family is being crazy, they've taken Lilybaeum from Carthage even though Carthage had a way bigger army with Elephants).

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
All my attempted invasions of the Eastern Empire from Hatra as the Sassanids have been repulsed, so I've started against more worthy foes: The roxolani and random northern rebels. It takes me an entire army to garrison one of my northern shanty towns, because they're so rebellious.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I always grab more land then I can keep xD I spread out my forces so badly that I often fight 1v3 or more :/ As the Greeks, you pretty much needs an army in your Persian colonies, the Greek mainland and sicily. Not only do they cost a ton in upkeep, but I can't move one army to support the other. If I leave one place week, someone gonna take it. Yesterday my fully stacked Colony army with 4 Cretan Archers, 4 Belaric slingers, 6 hoplites, some cav, a General and some merchenary thracians were sent to take Thessalonica for me to support my army in Greece that finally captured Larissa. But guess what happened, after sieging the Macedonians out (It was like 1 turn left) a Brutii diplomat shows up and godamn bribes my army to disband and the General to join the Brutii. I mean wtf is that, he was in the Faction Leader's close family, yet he got bribes so easily. Ugh, losing an army that well to BS always makes me mad. I've hired like 20 assassins that i've sent after his head and i've assinated every goddamn Brutii diplomat and Brutii commander in Greece. Good thing my southern army is lead by m Faction Heir and is advancing at Thessalonica right now. Once it's takeb, it'll split up to take Byzantium and the northern Macedonia city that is close by Thrace. After crushing the last resistance of Macedon, i'll be sending my 6 fresh Spartan hoplites trained at Syracause to join in with the southron army and swiftly take over Thrace and their towns. Only thing is, Pontus/Armenia/Selucids/Egyptians are allying against me in Turkey :/

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
My capital and my garrison city of Hatra both got the plague, and I lost thousands. the Eastern Empire struck all my cities at once with big armies, but I repulsed them, all while my Faction Leader was conquering peasants in Russia, then he went and died of rioters, leaving the plague ridden inexperienced heir as faction leader.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
My capital and my garrison city of Hatra both got the plague, and I lost thousands. the Eastern Empire struck all my cities at once with big armies, but I repulsed them, all while my Faction Leader was conquering peasants in Russia, then he went and died of rioters, leaving the plague ridden inexperienced heir as faction leader.
I see you there, damn Plague is one of the worst problems when your Empire grows large. Even having aqeducts and Sewers in the city barely helps :/