• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Book thread? Book thread.

I'm reading The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham right now. It's a series of three books methinks and it has a bit of a Song of Fire and Ice (GoT) feel to it.

Also reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. Got a very Hunger Games feel to it and it takes a lot of interesting and unexpected turns through the series.

For you people who love the victorian era politics and international relations, Englanders and Huns by James Hawes is a must read. It goes very deep into the topic anglo-german relations between 1860s to world war 1. It goes into detail on the unification of Germany, how Germany went from poor to the greatest nation on earth and how the natural allies Germany and England ended up as natural enemies. Reading this book really teaches how at the height of European power and germanic world dominance (UK - Germany - USA) it was all shattered because of Germany and the UK.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Book thread? Book thread.
Book Series
  1. Eragon
  2. Eldest
  3. Brisingr
  4. Inheritance
  1. The Innocent Mage
  2. The Awakened Mage
  3. PREQUAL: A Blight of Mages (haven't read this yet)
  1. The Golden Compass / Northern Lights
  2. The Subtle Knife
  3. The Amber Spyglass
  1. The Lightning Thief
  2. The Sea of Monsters
  3. The Titan's Curse
  4. The Battle of the Labyrinth
  5. The Last Olympian
  1. The Lost Hero
  2. The Son of Neptune
  3. The Mark of Athena
  4. The House of Hades
  5. The Blood of Olympus
  1. The Shamer's Daughter
  2. The Shamer's Signet
  3. The Shamer's Gift
  4. The Shamer's War
These are all the books I can think of at the top of my head.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Book Series
  1. Eragon
  2. Eldest
  3. Brisingr
  4. Inheritance
  1. The Innocent Mage
  2. The Awakened Mage
  3. PREQUAL: A Blight of Mages (haven't read this yet)
  1. The Golden Compass / Northern Lights
  2. The Subtle Knife
  3. The Amber Spyglass
  1. The Lightning Thief
  2. The Sea of Monsters
  3. The Titan's Curse
  4. The Battle of the Labyrinth
  5. The Last Olympian
  1. The Lost Hero
  2. The Son of Neptune
  3. The Mark of Athena
  4. The House of Hades
  5. The Blood of Olympus
  1. The Shamer's Daughter
  2. The Shamer's Signet
  3. The Shamer's Gift
  4. The Shamer's War
These are all the books I can think of at the top of my head.
I love the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series. Still trying to find House of Hades in bookstores though. I've also read the Inheritance Cycle.

Anyone here read the series Alexander by Valerio Massimo? Historical novel based on the life of Alexander the Great.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
I love the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series. Still trying to find House of Hades in bookstores though. I've also read the Inheritance Cycle.

Anyone here read the series Alexander by Valerio Massimo? Historical novel based on the life of Alexander the Great.
1. I haven't read past Son of Neptue yet, haven't had time (doing other stuff yey)
2. Nope, sorry :i

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Anything by Ayn Rand, can't read enough of her.

Some other favorites: Morae Encomium by Derisidius Erasmus, The Histories of Herodotus(origin of the story of the 300 as well as many other tales), The Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumerian text that is the basis for the Hebrew, Christian and Muslim scriptures). The Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer( Origin of the story Helen of Troy among others), The Rig Veda (the oldest of the Hindu bibles): The novels of J.R.R. Tolkien, Frank Herbert, James Fenimore Cooper, Mark Twain, Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Alexandre Dumas (The Musketeers and Count of Monte Christo), Dickens: The works of Locke, Bertrand Russell, Nietzsche, Plato, Aristotle among others.

By the way the more older books and classical literature you read the more you realize how little man has changed in his thoughts concerns and sentiments, despite all the advances in technology.

Last edited:

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Anything by Ayn Rand, can't read enough of her.

Some other favorites: Morae Encomium by Derisidius Erasmus, The Histories of Herodotus(origin of the story of the 300 as well as many other tales), The Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumerian text that is the basis for the Hebrew, Christian and Muslim scriptures). The Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer( Origin of the story Helen of Troy among others), The Rig Veda (the oldest of the Hindu bibles): The novels of J.R.R. Tolkien, Frank Herbert, James Fenimore Cooper, Mark Twain, Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Alexandre Dumas (The Musketeers and Count of Monte Christo), Dickens: The works of Locke, Bertrand Russell, Nietzsche, Plato, Aristotle among others.

By the way the more older books and classical literature you read the more you realize how little man has changed in his thoughts concerns and sentiments, despite all the advances in technology.
Don't forget Machiavelli (The Republic is better than The prince and is likely more true to his actual sentiments)
By the way a huge chunk of the books out there today are rewrites, reconstitutions, or retellings of earlier works.

Last edited:

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
It appears I have killed this thread with all my heavy talk. Allow me to lighten it up a bit. Read the Ender Quintet. The movie they made about the First book Enders Game was OK but the books are phenomenal.

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
Game of Thrones

Inheritance Cycle

Enders Game

Les Miserables

The Idiot

War and Peace

The Hobbit

The Lord of the Rings

That's all I can think of at the moment. XD

iceball626