• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Tell me what to code!

unknownloner

Coder
Legacy Supporter 7
So, I've been wanting to code something not minecraft related for awhile but I can't quite think of anything, so I'm asking you for help. Post any suggestion and I might take a swing at making it. HC projects take priority to these suggestions of course. There's also a couple rules:
  • Must be possible in java
  • No mobile device apps
  • No minecraft mods, server plugins, spout addons, or anything else that works with the actual minecraft game
  • Nothing overly complicated (I'll normally tell you if it's too complicated)
  • No networking from scratch yet (EX: creating 2 programs that transfer data to eachother)
  • Networking is fine if it's simple, such as loading something from a web page, talking in an IRC channel, or something similar. If I have to use a certain method to communicate with the server, link me to a wikipedia page or somewhere else that explains it.
  • You may post game ideas, but if you want a story in it, high resolution graphics, 3d models, or sound effects, you will be providing them. Not me. Also, they can't have too much gameplay to them (Think Skyrim vs something like the original Mario)
Anyways, hope to see some suggestions!

Bingy1218

Legacy Supporter 4
Im not sure if this comes under the category of anything you've said but How about something fun, like your own version of Cleverbot?
However maybe you will find coding that repetitive and boring but thats all i got for now off the top of my head, will edit in more suggestions later on :)

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Im not sure if this comes under the category of anything you've said but How about something fun, like your own version of Cleverbot?
Oh god an AI written in java, it'll exterminate us all slowly... Also AIs are a great deal of work.

This may be silly, but how about an IRC plugin for Eclipse. Then you can talk to your team or server without minimizing your workspace.

Aanokint

Obsidian
Oh! This came up on IRC earlier. What about a bot that would give you a pop up icon(similar to the information icon that appears next to links on IRC) That once the dialogue box associated with the icon was open, the bot told the individual user what the link was. Such as a title of a youtube video or a screamer(possibly not screamer but getting my point across)

If that wasnt clear enough I can elaborate.

unknownloner

Coder
Legacy Supporter 7
This may be silly, but how about an IRC plugin for Eclipse. Then you can talk to your team or server without minimizing your workspace.
Haven't done any eclipse plugins, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Oh! This came up on IRC earlier. What about a bot that would give you a pop up icon(similar to the information icon that appears next to links on IRC) That once the dialogue box associated with the icon was open, the bot told the individual user what the link was. Such as a title of a youtube video or a screamer(possibly not screamer but getting my point across)

If that wasnt clear enough I can elaborate.

So you're saying it's an icon you can click where it tells you the title of a youtube video?

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
I site that pulls info from weather sites to determine whether you should wear shorts/short sleeves.

But like really detailed. Take humidity, wind, and heat in consideration.