• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Shin Seiki Himeji-Jo (New Genesis Himeji Castle)

Hello All. Allow me to re-introduce myself: my name is Kyoketsu_Shoge and I have been with the server since early 2011, [Edit] during the Sanctum map. When i saw that there was to be a new map for the new year, an idea struck me. In keeping with my style (if you happen to have seen the tall Japanese style structure west of the current world's spawn you know what I'm talking about) this structure I have in mind is of a Japanese theme.

the Bottom line is this: North America's BEST SERVER deserves North America's largest, most ambitious construction TO DATE. Taking scaled ground plans of Himeji Castle in Japan, a pixel conversion program, and many hours of both construction and terraforming, canal carving and tree planting, I am recreating this classic design in a new light. While it will not be the same visually, the theme and feeling evoked in the original shall remain.

Himeji Castle is often called Hakuro-jo (White Egret Castle) or Shirasagi-jo (White Heron Castle) because its design evokes a majestic bird taking flight. The redux I am in progress of building keeps this "taking flight" image in mind. The castle is appointed on a hill among canals, with layers of walls, leading the eye to the pinnacle towers in the main citadel. The stark stone walls lead to watchtowers, and walkways, everything getting more ornate and beautiful as you near the centralmost point where the castle lies.

But do not think for a moment that Himeji-jo is just for looks. In the southern sprawl of the castle grounds, large fields present prime housing opportunities, and being divided into three approximately equal sections, affords its management choices of use from housing districts, to markets, to gardens and so forth. The largest denominations of this land, labelled A and B in the diagram (which has been imported and scaled to provide supremely accurate layout of the castle) is approximately 120 blocks from north to south.

himejicastleplan.jpg

Now, needless to say this project is far too large to be governed by one man. I feel the best way to manage such a structure, or rather, such an area (about 600 blocks East to West and 680 North to South) would be a system of moderators who have had some governing experience. Note also that the various sections of the castle are self-contained allowing for different projects in each (e.g. banking in one, Market in another, Mining another etc.)

We come to the real work at last. Your support. This is currently a work in progress which I would tentatively label 30% complete in a single player file, utilizing both creative mode, and a controlled glass-top flatgrass bottom world at standard height. What I ask from the administrators of the best server I've ever known, is support enough to bring this creation of mine into your realm so that all the players can enjoy it!

Some positives to entertain whilst you decide:
  • Imagine the player's awe when they see they can sign up to join the server with the largest, most accurate castle to date in Minecraft.
  • A large thematic environment encourages player cooperation and unity, as you already know from the intuitive system of townships
  • In the past we have seen the Samurai as a choice of Heroes. Give them a place they can call home and call as their rallying cry in battle!
  • People living in a common theme strive for a common goal: i.e. More Gold for the Emperor is mor gold for the State!
I thank you for your time and consideration, and will be providing updates as to completion percentage and screenshots to go along with said update Note that this first screencap does not encompass all I have done so far. Currently all canals are finished and filled. Thank you in advance for a swift reply:

Respectfully Yours:
--Kyoketsu Shoge
Chief Foreman/Worker: Shin Seiki Himeji-jo
2011-12-30_17.59.42.png

jmoney222

Legacy Supporter 5
You're an Architect, right? I definitely think this would be a great idea with the coming map! Good luck :)

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Hmm, interesting. The lack of curved walls will make this much easier to construct. If you are doing it on a scale, would 1 pixel = 1 block? I'm willing to help with aesthetics on the structures.

Answers to some questions, and screencaps of region Alpha, (completed and ready for lots to be moved into with temple/district hall in center) forthcoming. I do remember Sanctum. Such a beautifully layed out city, that's the feel I hope to get here. Each district will have its own feel to it. Region Alpha I'm dubbing Rukon-gai, meaning Wandering Souls district (a definite nod to something, if you catch the reference :3 ) for its purpose will be to house entry-level tenants in the castle as well as come-and-go workers.

As to the curved walls and the scale, on the image there is a scale, so I've measured the picture to ensure that the measurements match the intended scale. Needless to say this makes it massive, but it is doable. Roundness of walls? While they are not round, almost all of them slant, so putting the watchtowers and covered wall-topper walkways is proving tedious. But the effect is unlike anything I have seen on the server. Definitely will post a picture of the walkway covers as well. Note that they do not occur on all of the wall due to angle restrictions, but I am as close to the original as possible.

Current Progress: 30%. I've completed filling District A (hereafter Rukon-gai) and a bit of work on the north walls of the superstructure. But I realized that the whole eastern canal is yet to be completed. because of this I am not advancing the completion percentage at this time. More details forthcoming.

• My current plan is to put a few lots (5-10) in District B, and the remaining space devoted to farming. I will be calling the district Kiyotsuchi-gai (Pure Soil district).
  • In order to keep up with aesthetics of the castle, I am in need of 4 models of homes for the 10 x 10 lots. Using the following materials on the exterior: Wood Planks, Wood (Darker Variety), Snow, Cobblestone (with Slab and Stairs), Stone Brick (with Slab and Stairs), Fence, and Torch. Please submit suggestions, as we will be offering these four options as recommended styles of homes for new tenants if/when this goes live.
Finally, thank you all for staying tuned, and I hope to update you with more progress very soon.
The Wall-topper Walkway-Covers: 2011-12-31_15.15.20.png Using Fence as a sort of screen material for aesthetic.
The Rukon-gai: 2011-12-31_15.12.03.png Finished and ready for Tenants!