• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Roadkill's Skill Experiments

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I mess around with skill ideas fairly often on my test server. Typically they're pretty amusing or interesting. Unfortunately I'm the only one who usually sees them. I figured I'd post videos of the best ones here for the community to take a look at. Maybe some of them are good enough to be repurposed into skills for the main server.

So I'll start off with my latest experiment. There's been a lot of discussion about rangers, active skills, and arrowpowers, so I figured I'd try replacing the arrow power skills with one skill that accepts modified arrows. The results turned out pretty well:

Before anyone asks, this can work on normal bukkit. Bukkit/NMC/OBC files were not modified in any way. No clientside mods or custom clients necessary. Under 300 lines of code, took around 3 hours to make.

There's a special skill made for this called "Quiver." The skill makes a small custom inventory appear. The custom arrows don't work unless they're in your quiver because of technical reasons. The quiver aspect also helps restrict the ability to certain classes.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
That's really cool :O
Though now I wonder what's with the green/black boxes in the lowest right corner...?
EDIT: Also, will quiver work for normal arrows? If this was implemented, would this mean that Rangers get more space to work with?

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
The quiver works for normal arrows. However I'm going to scrap the quiver part, and make it so special arrows only work in the hotbar. The quiver adds too much complexity and overhead. It's also a potential balance issue.

Also looking at adding more arrow types. They're quick and easy to make. Maybe some material ones like iron or gold arrows that add a percent more damage. I'm also looking into a piercing arrow that partly ignores armor and thin soft walls.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
I'm also looking into a piercing arrow that partly ignores armor and thin soft walls.
Perhaps make it diamond-tipped to make it pierce? Though in reality, I wouldn't use a diamond, but something like diamond dust, though I guess that would require a mod to make, unless you can do something fancy with that. Though yeah, I'd say diamondtipped arrows for piercing.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
That is pretty awesome. You should totally sell that. That is of course if HC doesn't use it.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Amazing, how did you name the arrows though? Was it the server just anviling them to a different name?

Could you do this with traps? Or even make a trip that is not visible?

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Amazing, how did you name the arrows though? Was it the server just anviling them to a different name?

Could you do this with traps? Or even make a trip that is not visible?

Funny you mention this. I made traps a few days ago. I thought traps to be pretty impractical but I found a really great way to do it that doesn't eat memory or performance. I'll have a video soon. They could be added onto the server, but their only caveat is they only work on players, not mobs (unless bukkit adds a new API event).

Made traps
Roadkill, will there be a way to choose which special arrow you want to fire?

It's based on order. The arrow farthest to the left is the one used.

Sounds like we could replace several skills for Ranger with this...
There main caveat is the more you try to restrict it, the more performance it eats up. Anyone can craft these. You can change that, but it means you have to listen to every craft item event. You could restrict the use of them with passive skills ("like can use poision arrow"), but this requires more computations each time the bow fires.

If it were me, I'd just give every class with a bow the ability to use special arrows, and compensate Rangers with a new skill or two and a modified summonArrow to accept type arguments at higher levels. So for example a ranger could type "/summonArrow Poison". It'd save a bit of performance and many classes would benefit.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Funny you mention this. I made traps a few days ago. I thought traps to be pretty impractical but I found a really great way to do it that doesn't eat memory or performance. I'll have a video soon. They could be added onto the server, but their only caveat is they only work on players, not mobs (unless bukkit adds a new API event).

Made traps

It would add a nice sense of uniqueness to rangers, somthing herocraftish to me it seems.

EDIT: Just realized how Yoda-ish that sounded...

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
So for example a ranger could type "/summonArrow Poison". It'd save a bit of performance and many classes would benefit.
Couldn't you like, just do it so it only spawns with a skill like that? Just make the item exist, but not have a crafting recipe, so you'd have to summonarrow it, or make the reagents 8 arrows and 1 spider eye...?

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Couldn't you like, just do it so it only spawns with a skill like that? Just make the item exist, but not have a crafting recipe, so you'd have to summonarrow it, or make the reagents 8 arrows and 1 spider eye...?

Yes, we could have it so that the arrow isn't craftable, only summonable. Rangers would be the only source of the item. However if they die and drop some, or sell them, anyone who can use a bow would be able to use them. I'm fine with that too.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Yes, we could have it so that the arrow isn't craftable, only summonable. Rangers would be the only source of the item. However if they die and drop some, or sell them, anyone who can use a bow would be able to use them. I'm fine with that too.
Perhaps make it a restrict like /hero tools and /hero armor?

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Perhaps make it a restrict like /hero tools and /hero armor?

Currently the five of the six special arrows I've made do not even interact with Heroes. Heroes also won't recognize these custom arrows. It could be worked into a passive skill called Archery, which would control which arrows you could use, have per class configurations for things like how long an effect lasts, or how much more damage an arrow does. It means more performance use, which probably isn't as much as I think it is.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Currently the five of the six special arrows I've made do not even interact with Heroes. Heroes also won't recognize these custom arrows. It could be worked into a passive skill called Archery, which would control which arrows you could use, have per class configurations for things like how long an effect lasts, or how much more damage an arrow does. It means more performance use, which probably isn't as much as I think it is.
<-Knows nothing about coding/perfomance/cookies.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I made these bow experiments about a week or so ago. Here's the video:

Note these are not skills, and if they were turned into skills you would not be able to spam the effect as seen in this video. Not sure if you can tell from the video, but volley (triggered) you can trigger by left clicking the bow. This causes the arrow to shoot up and multiply. Also you cannot pick up the arrows.