• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove Auto Sprint on Spout

Grinch

Obsidian Staff
I don't think, but that's because I'm pretty sure you walk backwards as fast as you do forwards, at least it feels like it.

Erm.

Visually you'll still kick up stuff when walking backwards with autosprint but speed-wise its the same as walking backwards normally.

Edit: Tested it myself, what I said still sticks. Please note that at the time of this post, the fix is only in the latest dev builds of Spoutcraft.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
You should be able to defend your town without an OP feature to carry your town. You SHOULD gather a team to defeat a common enemy, but you guys never did until yesterday. I don't think you're OP, I think you shouldn't be able to run away while using skills that have a much larger range than both mine and my sword's range. All you use is forcepush and smite, and the occasional ironfist when you've managed to backpedal all the way back to the box you live in. I think that the backwards sprint allows classes to escape TOO easily, and should only work when running forward.

Also, ignore that quote. you have to understand that getting on 60+ killstreaks (Meaning sometimes in the 80-90 range) then getting killed by a lucky shot can make me a little angry.

shrimpy77

Glowstone
When I laid eyes on this thread. Some magical beam went through my body from my computer. This triggered my nerves to sense down my right arm into my hand. As I felt this magical sensation flow around my hand up to my fingertips, my hand started motioning the white arrow on my computer over the the green check-mark below @GreekCrackShot 's post. For some reason, my index finger pushed into the mouse with such force I heard a click. I looked on the screen which said I had Agreed. I would never want to change that and I will always agree with what was said here.

cmckenica

Legacy Supporter 7
You should be able to defend your town without an OP feature to carry your town. You SHOULD gather a team to defeat a common enemy, but you guys never did until yesterday. I don't think you're OP, I think you shouldn't be able to run away while using skills that have a much larger range than both mine and my sword's range. All you use is forcepush and smite, and the occasional ironfist when you've managed to backpedal all the way back to the box you live in. I think that the backwards sprint allows classes to escape TOO easily, and should only work when running forward.

Also, ignore that quote. you have to understand that getting on 60+ killstreaks (Meaning sometimes in the 80-90 range) then getting killed by a lucky shot can make me a little angry.
Point taken, but given the fact that I am a healer, I don't have much to work with, especially with armor. It is true that you do come prepared when you raid (full chain w/potions handy), but that's what separates a good player, yourself, from a "mediocre" player, such as myself. I'm usually farming cactus or repairing items when a random Greeksalad comes out of nowhere and starts shooting arrows.

iTzDeXy

Legacy Supporter 6
My Warriors point of view before you read:

The Auto-run only seems soo good to people who dont use spout because from there end they dont see the draw backs,
If you are say a warrior and you used up your stamina there is no way to get it back quickly and normaly if you have 3 or less bars of hunger/stamina then you cant run, well instead of not running you just glitch back and forth which gets your trapped in blocks and all sorts and on top of that in most cases you will have mobs or players after you, also if its a creeper you are as good as dead unless your a Paladin and it gives the other players a good few seconds to use there skills.
If you attacked someone while they cant move because they are glitched with auto run then its easy kills and this hole topic would be the other way round.

Also if you dont like it being used on you, why not use it yourself, people complain about spout is laggy and stuff well all you need to do it change a few settings and maybe allicate more RAM to it via the option button on the login screen and you will be fine.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
Like I said, I have tried to edit my settings, and i still get a massive fps drop during pvp I do not get on mojang's.

I don't see why auto sprint would be such a benefit to a warrior with medium to low range skills, maybe when chasing someone down it may be a little helpful, but that's what I use swiftness potions to counter. As a caster, however, I can see this easily being OP because they don't use stamina.

Afforess

Glowstone
I think it's worth pointing out that if sprinting in combat bothers you, perhaps you should yell at your server admins to turn it off? If Kainzo added a plugin that blocked sprinting during combat, it wouldn't matter if you had Spoutcraft or not.

Also worth mentioning it would take me 5 minutes to write up a custom hacked client that always sprinted w/o Spout. And there would be no way to stop me, since sprinting is not a form of cheating. Please go yell at Mojang for their shitty game.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Also worth mentioning it would take me 5 minutes to write up a custom hacked client that always sprinted w/o Spout. And there would be no way to stop me, since sprinting is not a form of cheating. Please go yell at Mojang for their shitty game.

Placing a "hackish" feature in a "legit" client and justifying it by saying that other people can hack and do that is not a good argument. By that logic spoutcraft should also have forcefield and xray included. If spout didn't have the auto sprint feature then you would be able to find the people abusing hacked clients because it really is fairly obvious when someone is using this feature.

At this point spout is definitely giving casters and healers too much of an advantage in an open fight and is making trying to fight them as a melee feel completely pointless.

narrowtux

Retired Staff
Placing a "hackish" feature in a "legit" client and justifying it by saying that other people can hack and do that is not a good argument. By that logic spoutcraft should also have forcefield and xray included. If spout didn't have the auto sprint feature then you would be able to find the people abusing hacked clients because it really is fairly obvious when someone is using this feature.

At this point spout is definitely giving casters and healers too much of an advantage in an open fight and is making trying to fight them as a melee feel completely pointless.
He said it wouldn't be cheating, unlike X-Ray or forcefield....

narrowtux

Retired Staff
... Also, ignore that quote. you have to understand that getting on 60+ killstreaks (Meaning sometimes in the 80-90 range) then getting killed by a lucky shot can make me a little angry.
This is a hardcore server, deal with the lucky shots :p

ThatAintFalco

Portal

Do you even understand what this tread is about? The fact is, running in directions other than vanilla is quite broken. Dare I say, auto-sprint =/= mini fly hacking. You don't stop if you get hit, you get a permanent speed boast, and able to run any direction.

Basicly, lucky shots mean nothing, if they are using "hacks" to kill a legit Pvper

narrowtux

Retired Staff
Do you even understand what this tread is about? The fact is, running in directions other than vanilla is quite broken. Dare I say, auto-sprint =/= mini fly hacking. You don't stop if you get hit, you get a permanent speed boast, and able to run any direction.

Basicly, lucky shots mean nothing, if they are using "hacks" to kill a legit Pvper
I understand what this thread is about very much. I don't really see a problem in autosprint now that backwards sprinting is disabled and is also dependent on stamina.
This "lucky shot" he was speaking of was probably some caster with a range attack which he fired on him. If he was sprinting backwards, yes that is not very fair but if he was chasing him while sprinting, this would be fair right? So with the initial problems fixed, why make such a fuss about it?

Shadownub

ICE ICE ICE!
Legacy Supporter 3
I think it's worth pointing out that if sprinting in combat bothers you, perhaps you should yell at your server admins to turn it off? If Kainzo added a plugin that blocked sprinting during combat, it wouldn't matter if you had Spoutcraft or not.

Blocking sprinting just takes away the fun for everyone. Sprinting is a part of combat - Auto-sprinting is not.
For most of us, sprinting has become a second nature of PVP and Minecraft Travelling after it was introduced. To remove this on the whole would be a little sad.

Also worth mentioning it would take me 5 minutes to write up a custom hacked client that always sprinted w/o Spout. And there would be no way to stop me, since sprinting is not a form of cheating.

The point to be made is that Spout is legal, but auto-sprinting just feels like a hack for people who don't use it, and if it wasn't a part of Spoutcraft, I doubt it'd be allowed at all. Thus, you could easily make a custom hacked client with xray, auto-sprint, killaura, or whatever else.. but it would be a bannable offence.

I don't have a solution to this problem, honestly, so I guess I'm no use here :p . I just hope one is found. I've been the sprinter, and.. yeah, it feels a little OP on my side.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
lucky shots =/= an abusable aspect of gameplay that is not vanilla. I've been on this server for over a year, don't try and lecture me on the definition of hardcore when you yourself cannot define it in a way that describes Herocraft.

People abuse game mechanics all the time - generally, if it's in vanilla, it's passed as tolerable. But this isn't vanilla, and it gives your opponent an advantage.

I'll give an example.

On the Sanctum map, if you donated to T5, you would get the command /sneak, which is exactly like /skill sneak, except that it didn't have a cooldown, and didn't break randomly/in combat.

OP right? It was there the entire map, and it gave a fairly big advantage to those who donated, including myself, may I add. Kainzo agreed it was unfair and only gave it to certain classes that seemed to fit it's category - rogues - completely reasonable, and I think most of the community agreed that was a smart move.

My point here is, it was possible for everyone on the server to donate $60 to buy /sneak, but most people can't afford it or don't feel like donating is necessary. To relate, anyone can use spout to abuse this feature and appear to use a hacked client and get away with it, but there is a sizable group of people who have a ton of problems with this client, including fps drop, constant crashing, lowered settings/texture resolutions, etc. So why should we be advised to buy a better computer to abuse this aspect or just deal with it?

I can't afford a better computer, I don't need a better computer. I would NEVER waste my money on a new computer just to improve my performance on fucking minecraft, when I can play just fine on my macbook pro with Mojang's launcher?

I don't think making my own hacked client with autosprinting in every direction is a valid answer, because why should I have to hack to be on an equal playing field with everyone who uses spout? That makes no sense to me.