• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Pyromancer-My Thoughts

Ice

Heroes Never Die
So right now Pyromancer is kinda dumb. Point and click stun/nuke followed by undodgeable burst that takes away 50% or more of your HP.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the class, but even I have to agree it's retarded. So here's my suggestion to put it back in line. A mini-rework if you would call it that.

GreatCombustion-This skill is so overloaded I can't even begin to explain it. 125 damage that scales with 1.875 Int along with a 1.5 second stun. This skill is Pyro's bread and butter, but sadly Pyro is so reliant on this skill to do anything that it's self-sufficiency with other skills get handicapped.

Make GC that semi-skillshot it was about a map ago. I was talking to Munch about it and he said it was changed because people didn't like it missing... that's like saying, "We don't like Bolt's warmup it should be instant cast." The semi-skillshot is what made Pyro such a difficult yet rewarding class. Along with that, decrease it's base damage to 100 but increase it's scaling to 2.15(Right now it's at 1.875 scaling.) Make the stun last .85 seconds with no scaling from Charisma, and lower the cooldown from 40 to 25. With this change it shouldn't be the end of the world if you miss it.

Increase InfernoOrb's scaling to 2, it's at 1.975 right now. Increase base damage from 100-105.

Increase DragonBreath base damage from 60-80, decrease scaling from 1.75 to 1.25.

Fix DarkBolt already. It's been borked ever since the change to 1.8 and never fixed since. Either fix it or change it to where it lands 100% of the time and not as volatile.

With these changes I'm hoping to shave off some power from GreatCombustion and give it to other skills, so Pyro isn't as reliant on GC as it normally would.

@Balance Team @Kainzo

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
So right now Pyromancer is kinda dumb. Point and click stun/nuke followed by undodgeable burst that takes away 50% or more of your HP.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the class, but even I have to agree it's retarded. So here's my suggestion to put it back in line. A mini-rework if you would call it that.

GreatCombustion-This skill is so overloaded I can't even begin to explain it. 125 damage that scales with 1.875 Int along with a 1.5 second stun. This skill is Pyro's bread and butter, but sadly Pyro is so reliant on this skill to do anything that it's self-sufficiency with other skills get handicapped.

Make GC that semi-skillshot it was about a map ago. I was talking to Munch about it and he said it was changed because people didn't like it missing... that's like saying, "We don't like Bolt's warmup it should be instant cast." The semi-skillshot is what made Pyro such a difficult yet rewarding class. Along with that, decrease it's base damage to 100 but increase it's scaling to 2.15(Right now it's at 1.875 scaling.) Make the stun last .85 seconds with no scaling from Charisma, and lower the cooldown from 40 to 25. With this change it shouldn't be the end of the world if you miss it.

Increase InfernoOrb's scaling to 2, it's at 1.975 right now. Increase base damage from 100-105.

Increase DragonBreath base damage from 60-80, decrease scaling from 1.75 to 1.25.

Fix DarkBolt already. It's been borked ever since the change to 1.8 and never fixed since. Either fix it or change it to where it lands 100% of the time and not as volatile.

With these changes I'm hoping to shave off some power from GreatCombustion and give it to other skills, so Pyro isn't as reliant on GC as it normally would.

@Balance Team @Kainzo
In the limited time I had on beta, I talked briefly about great combustion and the issues you brought up. I was shocked to learn that some of the players forgot it used to be a skillshot. Even though I haven't played on the live server yet, 4 more days, I had a feeling pyro would be very strong. I was never a fan of the target change, and I'm pretty sure it got pushed in some meeting I wasn't at. Some other balance team members can look at this but I'll be sure to address this in the meeting we have as soon as I get back.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

@Balance Team @Kainzo
Reduced GC's dmg and adjusted its scaling.
Adjusted DragonsBreath as suggested
Leaving infernorb where its at.

@Donal - can you fix DarkBolt ?

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7

To be clear, those changes shouldn't go in unless its made a skillshot again. If not, this would make it even worse.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
To be clear, those changes shouldn't go in unless its made a skillshot again. If not, this would make it even worse.
Checked the numbers: Damage and damage scaling on GC was lowered, stun was untouched.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Checked the numbers: Damage and damage scaling on GC was lowered, stun was untouched.
As long as the cooldown wasn't lowered to 20 as ice mentioned above That's fine. If it was we need the skillshot re-added

look_out

Legacy Supporter 3
Darkbolt works its just not very clear how its set up. Hit the ground of the opponent with dark bolt not the actual player.

DrRidiculouz

Legacy Supporter 2
Pyro is all about burst. I disagree 100%. The attacks from a blaze rod should be nerfed some, but leave the skills alone.

Ice

Heroes Never Die

I still think stun duration should be lowered as I mentioned above and CD be lowered as well. Pyros gameplay is so reliant on GC right now that nerfing it's damage and leaving everything else the same is going to make the class really trash. If it can be made into the semi-skillshot as well that would be even better.

Also @look_out DarkBolt used to be a wither skull that would also explode on contact. No skill should break on player contact, and I've even had it not go off when I shot it at the ground. It should be reverted back to a wither skull or have the snowball trigger on player contact as well. Also not sure if this is intentional but withering, the effect, only does 1 damage per tick.

Last edited:

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Alright, I found the pre-TargettedSkill version of GreatCombustion.
Irish appears to be correct that it was at a Balance meeting, logs say I made the change ~8 months ago.

Tried to revert it, and it seems to be about as functional as it ever was, though numbers may need changing.
I don't recall what the original numbers were, and due to how skill configs are stored, it's far harder to check history of those than skills themselves.