• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion PVE server and it's impact on world PVP

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
After thinking about it for a while, I think this PVE server, if containing a few features of haven, would probably eliminate most of the world PVP going on.

For example, if you can get combat and crafter xp in this map, then people will just never mine anywhere else, as the pve map is a basically no risk full reward system (reduced crafter xp wouldn't stop this). You would never have to worry that you were being tracked, and if towns were creatable there, all the people that don't normally pvp would just flock to it and stay there permanently.

I think while you're levelling your combat class, there definitely should be a place you can go without being harassed until you are ready to fight.

That being said, I believe the PVE server should not include towns or grant crafting xp, and that all materials there should not be transferable to haven.

This way, getting tracked will still be a risk when you go mining, but you can safely make sure you're a 65 combat class and ready for it, and for those who are totally against this because they don't like pvp, it's supposed to be a hardcore server, and if you don't like PVE every town already has a box underground (or above ground in some cases) that you can hide in.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
It has already been said that items will not carry over between the PVE world and any other world. Therefore, mining in Haven would still be necessary to acquire any reasonable amount of goods to build anything, start towns, etc. And it is already a fairly long, slow process to master classes, thus the decrease in exp gain really is a factor in how you level. Taking the safe route takes much longer, and to expedite the process, you can expose yourself to potential danger.

And as far as the people do don't want to pvp, who are you to tell them they have to? They don't tell you that you can't pvp them. Get over it. This is change. This is the direction the server is going. There will still be people to pvp. The difference will be that those will be the people that actually WANT to pvp, so if anything, it will improve the pvp experience, as there may actually be people worth fighting (that will actually be capable of fighting back). I can't say anything about the frequency though. I do fully expect many people to move to Shrine once it's released. I honestly don't blame them. And I don't want to hear it about towns. The way people are about towns on this server, it's a headache even talking about them.

And as far as I can tell, the original intent of the "hardcore" tag for the server was supposed to reflect the PVE mob difficulty in relation to vanilla minecraft. With mob scaling going live today, the hardcore nature of the server is being increased even now. Perhaps the server will finally become more RPG and less PVP. Role playing and social interaction simply doesn't exist as is.

Glacial_Reign

Portal
Ehh there is not many 10v10 team fights anymore like there was in bastion. It might happen like twice a week but last map we had a battle with umbra, lo, or freepers 2 times a day.

Pve server is going to be meh and when arenas come out the world pvp will die out.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I think world pvp would be more popular / frantic if towns / regions were made not safe through tnt mod, etc. In the beginning, hopefully people would band together in temporary alliances if necessary n such to retake towns, so even if we dont have the big town specific groups there would be big fights at least. If it became fun enough maybe even old towns would regain interest and could see big town specific fights again, but instead of fighting in random fields they would be fighting in each others not-so-safe towns and "capturing them" so to speak.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Ehh there is not many 10v10 team fights anymore like there was in bastion. It might happen like twice a week but last map we had a battle with umbra, lo, or freepers 2 times a day.

Pve server is going to be meh and when arenas come out the world pvp will die out.
Yes, there are less 10v10 teamfights - which sucks - but that's not the only aspect of world PvP.

Like @Dakinara said, a TNT plugin could rejuvenate the PvP scene, too.

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Something that requires time, money and materials to start a proper battle would be fun and most likely increase the amount of PvP. TNT/Siege style plugin would be perfect.

I think not only being able to blow through walls but maybe the ability to place ladders that disappear after a time would be cool too. I know druid has that vine skill but that skill isn't enough to make many people want to suffer druid.