• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Paladin ideas

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
Note: I expect these to be hated.

I feel Paladins need a damage boost, when I play a paladin, typically they have the Turtle Defense, Turtle Speed, high HP and healing skills, however, most paladins I play also have, very weak, but attacking skills never-the-less disigned to further increase their defense or hinder the enemy. Here are my ideas.
  • Paladins use hammers in most MMOs, or blunt weapons at least. Pickaxes feel more 'blunty' than swords, but thats just me.
  • Remove Soulfire or nerf it a little... and have it effect every attack you do.
  • New skill idea - Pound - Smack the ground with great power, creating an AoE shockwave that will launch enemies into the air (5-7 blocks). Heros with tumble/safefall will avoid damage. (No base damage, fall damage will effect though)
  • New skill idea - Rush - Rush into a target, knocking him back. (7-10 blocks) (No damage)
  • New skill idea - Holy Blast - AoE around you. Deals actual damage (around 15-20 base damage, and deals more damage to enemys that are 'evil'. (Zombies, Skeletons, Necromancers, Dreadknights)
  • Make it so, if you have a door in your hotbar, it's Shield effect, effects you. (Obviously nerf it when it is in your hitbar, you get the full effect when you wield it)
  • Make iron doors more protective than wooden doors.
  • When you wield a door, you have a chance to 'counterattack' the enemy and it will low damage a knockback. You will knockback further and deal more damage if the sheild is being held in the mainhand.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
As a lifelong paladin, I figure I can provide a bit of input here.

-I'd prefer sticking with swords; it allows us to use the undead bane that paladins are oft-noted for using, and also is consistent with some pre-mmo portrayal of paladins (D&D, FF2/4).
-I'd like to hear what your idea is for having soulfire effect every attack: though I'd also like to see it proc more as you increase in level, personally.
-For pound and rush, these might be better going with warriors. Kainzo's said before he doesn't want paladins having offensive skills (aside from soulfire), and it's awfully tough to rush when you're covered in armor (believe me, I'd know!)
-Holy Blast is interesting; very reminiscent of "smite evil!" I'd actually love to see it do more damage to opponents with lower karma, once that system is implemented- and to undead/nether mobs, of course.
-As for shields, I think iron doors are already supposed to protect more, or at least that's how it was back in zeal, it's been a while since I've done extensive testing. I definitely like the idea of just having it in the hot bar, but I'd also like to give it a boost if it's currently selected (for tanking in MA, specifically.)

All in all some solid ideas. I could see holy blast being a level 60 skill, in particular.

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
As a lifelong paladin, I figure I can provide a bit of input here.

-I'd prefer sticking with swords; it allows us to use the undead bane that paladins are oft-noted for using, and also is consistent with some pre-mmo portrayal of paladins (D&D, FF2/4).
-I'd like to hear what your idea is for having soulfire effect every attack: though I'd also like to see it proc more as you increase in level, personally.
-For pound and rush, these might be better going with warriors. Kainzo's said before he doesn't want paladins having offensive skills (aside from soulfire), and it's awfully tough to rush when you're covered in armor (believe me, I'd know!)
-Holy Blast is interesting; very reminiscent of "smite evil!" I'd actually love to see it do more damage to opponents with lower karma, once that system is implemented- and to undead/nether mobs, of course.
-As for shields, I think iron doors are already supposed to protect more, or at least that's how it was back in zeal, it's been a while since I've done extensive testing. I definitely like the idea of just having it in the hot bar, but I'd also like to give it a boost if it's currently selected (for tanking in MA, specifically.)

All in all some solid ideas. I could see holy blast being a level 60 skill, in particular.

Just a slight rebuttle for Pound and Rush... Perhaps the more armor you have on, the more stamina it takes to use (or it could take longer to regenerate in combat with heavy armor), but you also could launch your enemies further with heavy armor (using your weight to your advantage?)

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Just a slight rebuttle for Pound and Rush... Perhaps the more armor you have on, the more stamina it takes to use (or it could take longer to regenerate in combat with heavy armor), but you also could launch your enemies further with heavy armor (using your weight to your advantage?)

Interesting idea! Though we'd have to shorten the range for rush by quite a bit (I'd love to be able to do it, but it seems a little unbalanced). I could see a short-range tackle that could knock back/very short stun, maybe an improved version of bash (Shield bash, anyone?).

Though I'd absolutely love something with some range/that allows for closing distance on things like casters or rangers- I'm having a tough time thinking of a good justification for a paladin to have it.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Personally I'd like for skills like soulfire to be guaranteed on the next attack, rather than a chance for a while. RNG combat in an action game is pretty stupid. Same with blackjack.

I've never played paladin, so I can't talk about anything else, apart from that I don't see why they would use pickaxes.

JZillifro

Soulsand
Love the ideas. My favorite is the shield improvements, I've always wanted a more realistic/dynamic shield, and this may be it.

Let's see.

Upon research, I have discovered that the "Paladin" class in most mmos/rpgs/mmorpg/ and all of the above have mostly been known to use swords. In the small occasion that they don't use swords, they actually use two-sided axes!

The skills need to be more in-depth, I can't wrap my finger around what they'll actually be helpful with. However, the new mechanic for the 'shield hotbar' idea sounds fantastic. I believe trying to macro a shield into your hand while in combat is a poor decision, while letting it sit in your hotbar sounds very useful and fitting; as if it was in your left hand.

The skills are rather old, as in everyone has already thought of it or it's just not a new concept. BESIDES, The counterattack mechanic; This is actually pretty new to me, as much as I want to say "Holy crap! Put this in now!" I have to consider the usefulness, how to code it, and if it's going to be OP.

Most likely:
1. It's meant for extra damage, ergo not as useful as most skills.
2. Coding it would be pretty easy, probably the same concept as FireArmor.
3. This most definitely will never be OP.

TL;IKYDR.
Nice ideas, need new, better, fresh ideas.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Paladins are tanky types in Herocraft - not massive damage dealers, they have heals to add to their flavor. With the addition of Bash and Strike, I feel that Paladins can stand quite well on their own.

The changes requested are either already implemented or not in with the design of the class, I'd love to get more mechanics like stated in the original post - but we're already with a "full plate" and Paladins are doing fine so we can't justify spending more dev time on mechanical fixes.

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
Let's see.

Upon research, I have discovered that the "Paladin" class in most mmos/rpgs/mmorpg/ and all of the above have mostly been known to use swords. In the small occasion that they don't use swords, they actually use two-sided axes!

The skills need to be more in-depth, I can't wrap my finger around what they'll actually be helpful with. However, the new mechanic for the 'shield hotbar' idea sounds fantastic. I believe trying to macro a shield into your hand while in combat is a poor decision, while letting it sit in your hotbar sounds very useful and fitting; as if it was in your left hand.

The skills are rather old, as in everyone has already thought of it or it's just not a new concept. BESIDES, The counterattack mechanic; This is actually pretty new to me, as much as I want to say "Holy crap! Put this in now!" I have to consider the usefulness, how to code it, and if it's going to be OP.

Most likely:

TL;IKYDR.

First, I would like to say thank you for liking my idea for the Shield Mechanic; I was trying to hint I enjoy the though of having your shield in your 'left' hand. The current shield mechanic seems useless, considering you can't deal damage with your door out, making the 'shield' pointless.

Second, thank your for your "Holy crap! Put this in now!" comment, I didn't realize my Counterattack mechanic was that awestucking. :cool: If I could post up a working example of code (I don't think admins/programmers would like that), I would.

Third, the Dual Sided Axe holding Paladin is new to me, I liked the fun fact! ;)

Paladins are tanky types in Herocraft - not massive damage dealers, they have heals to add to their flavor. With the addition of Bash and Strike, I feel that Paladins can stand quite well on their own.

The changes requested are either already implemented or not in with the design of the class, I'd love to get more mechanics like stated in the original post - but we're already with a "full plate" and Paladins are doing fine so we can't justify spending more dev time on mechanical fixes.

1) I made this suggestion not realizing that Warriors got a few attacking skills. 'Bash' and 'Strike' look like they could fit the bill, but are they effected by SoulFire?

2) I understand the 'full plate' feeling. I use to host a Minecraft server myself, and even with 10 people I felt overwhelmed. Being the host of a 200 player server AND having an entire plugin to watch over must be rough.

Again, this is a suggestion. Just posting my thoughts. :)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Let's see.

Most likely:

TL;IKYDR.

First, I would like to say thank you for liking my idea for the Shield Mechanic; I was trying to hint I enjoy the though of having your shield in your 'left' hand. The current shield mechanic seems useless, considering you can't deal damage with your door out, making the 'shield' pointless.

Second, thank your for your "Holy crap! Put this in now!" comment, I didn't realize my Counterattack mechanic was that awestucking. :cool: If I could post up a working example of code (I don't think admins/programmers would like that), I would.

Third, the Dual Sided Axe holding Paladin is new to me, I liked the fun fact! ;)

1) I made this suggestion not realizing that Warriors got a few attacking skills. 'Bash' and 'Strike' look like they could fit the bill, but are they effected by SoulFire?

2) I understand the 'full plate' feeling. I use to host a Minecraft server myself, and even with 10 people I felt overwhelmed. Being the host of a 200 player server AND having an entire plugin to watch over must be rough.

Again, this is a suggestion. Just posting my thoughts. :)
It's something we'll keep in mind :)

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
A cool tweak to Soulfire could make it a passive skill that has a small chance to catch attacking enemies on fire, and when it is used actively the next attack catches the enemy on fire (ofc it will be a long cool down). While the cool down is happening the passive affect is removed.
And yes, if anybody was wondering, I got this skill from a very similar one on GW2 :p

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
A cool tweak to Soulfire could make it a passive skill that has a small chance to catch attacking enemies on fire, and when it is used actively the next attack catches the enemy on fire (ofc it will be a long cool down). While the cool down is happening the passive affect is removed.
And yes, if anybody was wondering, I got this skill from a very similar one on GW2 :p
I find GW2 has been the inspiration for a good bit of my recent musings on Heroes. They have some fun ideas.