• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Open Sesame - "There are Barbarians at the Gates"

AussieDingbat

Legacy Supporter 5
With the imminent implementation of Town Rings once again, and the region protection that they offer, a lot of towns will be constructing walls within their rings that can be regioned and protected. To enter into their town, without the use of Recall or /kill, they’ll need to implement some kind of entry system, the most common of which will undoubtedly be the use of the [Gate] system.

Which brings us to my suggestion, you may be asking, “how does one get inside a regioned town that uses a [Gate] system without griefing by producing scaffolding to jump over them?”

Well, I’m glad you asked, I suggest the implementation of a skill/spell for either, or both, crafters and casters, that will allow them to remotely open [Gates] within say a 5 block radius.

For Casters (Not sure which spec), they’d have the “Open Sesame” spell that would use some reagents, most likely Redstone dust, but that’s not important.

Whereas crafters (probably engineers) would have “Battering Ram” skill, which consumes 5-10 (or more, again, the reagents isn’t the important parts) logs for the same effect.

This would force several things upon towns, firstly, if you are going to use a [Gate] system, you need to design it to either be tiered or to develop a more complex and not as user friendly system, either way, it makes it harder for towns to just hold up behind their regioned walls with the attackers banging their heads against them. (It also negates any need to un-region towns during attacks or any of those other suggestions)

R3xz

Glowstone
Yes! There should be certain ways to overcome a city wall due to the fact that walls will be invincible after town ring is implemented. I've already suggested ways for rogues to have abilities that let them climb wall temporarily. These abilities will be a good addition for the other classes as well.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Yes! There should be certain ways to overcome a city wall due to the fact that walls will be invincible after town ring is implemented. I've already suggested ways for rogues to have abilities that let them climb wall temporarily. These abilities will be a good addition for the other classes as well.

You'll have to infiltrate towns the most effective way there is: social engineering.

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
the best class to enter a town: Dragon, they can jump over almost all walls only underground towns can avoid this problem

btw, even if i'm a famous robber :p i vote NO for any "break security" skill, simply cause people will stop using those kind of security if people get a skill like that and this skill will be useless so

and, i'm a good supporter of people making good, working, protections, we can't just broke like that a security mechanism, if people use properly the protections the server give us, they need to be sure to have their stuff protected

there is rumors of a hacker bypassings the lwcs, that's pretty lame, i hope there is another explication, like a weird rollback

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
the best class to enter a town: Dragon, they can jump over almost all walls only underground towns can avoid this problem

btw, even if i'm a famous robber :p i vote NO for any "break security" skill, simply cause people will stop using those kind of security if people get a skill like that and this skill will be useless so

and, i'm a good supporter of people making good, working, protections, we can't just broke like that a security mechanism, if people use properly the protections the server give us, they need to be sure to have their stuff protected

there is rumors of a hacker bypassings the lwcs, that's pretty lame, i hope there is another explication, like a weird rollback
Yeah, my brother and I talked about this awhile ago, basically we decided that the fundamental problem is the ease with which most blocks can be broken (vs blocks being invulnerable when regioned). Any way to change the properties of bricks WITHIN a region ? i.e. tripling (or more) the time it takes to break blocks within the region
that way attackers have a chance to break through walls/gates but they may come under fire while doing so. (hmm...wall repairs would need to be slowed down too somehow or holes would be closed as soon as they opened... and you wouldn't want the whole town affected or building houses would be a nightmare)