• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion New Skill Framework

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Greetings Heroes!
@Admins @Moderators @Heralds @Guides
The new skill framework will compose a better system for players to dynamically create their hero. Through customization, the player will be able to learn skills in new and old ways.

The configuration will allow the server to dictate how players learn skills, in what level they can learn them, if they can be taught from other players or if they can be purchased with souls.

https://paste2.org/5L883ELM

Ways to obtain skills:
  • Auto-gained from levels (only method currently)
  • Purchasing with souls
  • Learned from "tomes"
  • Learned from researching*
  • Learned from other players deemed as "masters"
  • Learned from completion of quests (Quests/Denizen plugin - more or less API)
  • Dealing X damage (cant be used until sql support is complete for tracking)
  • Healing X damage (cant be used until sql support is complete for tracking)
Configuration Example:
Code:
permitted-skills:
    Poison:
        level: 5 #the normal level requirement.
        mana: 19
        cooldown: 7000
        delay: 500
        currency: 0 #the currency cost through a menu or trainer (we may be able to just do this better and more RPG intense by creating a skill or command grant and selling a book that lets a player grant the skill if they are of a certain class.
        autoAcquired: true
        tome: false
        teachable: false
        questable: true
        classRequired: Necromancer
    DarkRitual:
        level: 10
        mana: 0
        cooldown: 500
    Decay:
        level: 20
        mana: 20
        cooldown: 10000
    BecomeDeath:
        level: 30
        mana: 10
        cooldown: 30000
    Battery:
        level: 35
        mana: 5
        cooldown: 3000
    Web:
        level: 40
        mana: 15
        cooldown: 14000
    Despair:
        level: 45
        mana: 20
        cooldown: 12000
        damage: 50
    Hellgate:
        level: 50
        mana: 75
        cooldown: 150000
    Plague:
        level: 55
        mana: 30
        cooldown: 12000
        delay: 1000
    Harmshield:
        level: 60
        mana: 40
        cooldown: 360000
    Blight:
        level: 65
        mana: 30
        cooldown: 25000
        delay: 1000

The configuration can be changed to allow the player to select a new skill every 3-5 levels. We can have a list that the user can select from. For the skills that can only be learned from Tomes - we can specify that in the config that it is only learnable from "Tome" and does not count towards the skill cap. Each class would be allotted a max of 20 skills in their list.

A tome is a bookcase in the wilderness that is enchanted with the skill that can be learned. A player that finds the tome (bookshelf) can right-click on it to add it to their current class/arsenal. These would not transfer between classes and would be only unlocked for that class.

Instead of paying souls to gain skills, the player can go to Masters. Masters are other players that can teach newer players skills for free instead of having them purchase the skill with souls. Once a successful training has been done to the newer player. (althernatively) we can place weight on this system by requiring players to obtain X many mastery points before they can actually master the class and/or unlock certain skills.

Researching is hunting/trading for certain pages to complete a "book" of sorts. Example: for Hellgate there will be 8 pages to find. "Hellish Nightmares: Page 1 of 8" - pages will have a low drop chance off of mobs/ores/etc and when combined will make a book "Spellbook: Hellgate" - when the player right-clicks the book, they will learn the skill (if they are the class and the right level)

This system has been seen before on Herocraft as "magicspells" - however mixing it into Heroes will be a massive undertaking and is the next logical step for our player-base.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment!

Last edited:

_Fish_

Legacy Supporter 3
I love all these plans! One question though.. How does one become "master" of a class? Through mastery of it? Or other means?

Last edited:

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
this sounds interesting . . . with up to 20 skills, will there be skill available across multiple classes then? or we kinda mix and match from current abilities of multiple classes or what? either way sounds cool.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I love all these plans! One question though.. How does one become "master" if a class? Through mastery of it? Or other means?
this sounds interesting . . . with up to 20 skills, will there be skill available across multiple classes then? or we kinda mix and match from current abilities of multiple classes or what? either way sounds cool.
Some skills would be available to the archetypes. This system isn't refined and it's more or less up for discussion. I have a good idea of what I want. The hardest part is getting the system working and balanced.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Time to make the DPS Berserker of my DREAMS! Sounds very interesting and more customization in HC is a good thing. Balancing this will be a pain, but I accept the challenge!

askmax

Legacy Supporter 4
Time to make the DPS Berserker of my DREAMS! Sounds very interesting and more customization in HC is a good thing. Balancing this will be a pain, but I accept the challenge!
All I have to say to "but I accept the challenge" is. *FACEPALM*

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
All I have to say to "but I accept the challenge" is. *FACEPALM*
People can make cheesy one-liners if they wish :p Why you so grumpy mister creeper face?

Also, how do you speak with actions. Are you a Mime?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well, more or less - the class skill line up will stay the same. Obviously classes that do not have the "skill amount" will need to have more granted from the archetype they are in.

This new system will bolster several areas of Herocraft that need bolstering. It will reinforce the economy with having a new use for souls, it will increase social impact of the community with training the newer players and it will increase the exploration of Herocraft by requiring players to explore the depths of areas in the worlds/servers we choose.

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Will there be a way to 'unlearn' a skill if you're capped but you want a different skill?

DuskWolfMC

Obsidian
Would this work with professions as well?

Also, @Carbash you can make that Draguiler like you said yesterday on ts. It will be a pain to me; I already cant hit dragoons jumping around, but you know that I despise exploding sheep...

Now I'm just wondering what crazy things people will come up with when this comes out.

_Fish_

Legacy Supporter 3
Some skills would be available to the archetypes. This system isn't refined and it's more or less up for discussion. I have a good idea of what I want. The hardest part is getting the system working and balanced.
Since this is open to discussion at this point I'll drop in my two cents. I think that a "master" of a class should have to either be using the class for a set period or have to do a sort of "proving" activity specific to each class. This can vary from kill x of y to a linked quest line, etc.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Would this work with professions as well?

Also, @Carbash you can make that Draguiler like you said yesterday on ts. It will be a pain to me; I already cant hit dragoons jumping around, but you know that I despise exploding sheep...

Now I'm just wondering what crazy things people will come up with when this comes out.
No, a dragoon's abilities wont be inter-mingled with Beguiler abilities - so it wont be possible to make an ultra-class that can destroy everything else. There will still be balancing involved. When you gain the skills and how will be determined by the server and the player.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
So, does that mean there will be additional skills for each class? Maybe a more offensive kit for paladin? A Disciple that focuses in martial arts? Either way, I like the extra customization.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So, does that mean there will be additional skills for each class? Maybe a more offensive kit for paladin? A Disciple that focuses in martial arts? Either way, I like the extra customization.
Honestly, yes - paladins need more options and a rework of their attributes (For hybrids in general).
this is going to kill balance completly
Not completely, but it will change the system quite a bit.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
well it sounds cool even if balance will be tough. so many things on ur plate though lol . . . need to outsource coding to southeast asia >>

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Here's the stuff ill be toying with to get it correct.
Code:
        currency: 0
        levelRequired: 5
        autoAcquired: true
        tomeOnly: false
        teachable: false
        questable: true

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
maybe karma could be reintroduced with this thing? evil players will get more "evil" abilities, and good players will get more "good" abilities. and if you wanted to become good from bad, you could find (or buy) tombs of goodness that would increase your karma by a certain amount. but then again, karma encouraged graveyard farming...